Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RaMar

Zuiderdam 7/2 -7/9 Cruising w/ Dennis

This was our 9th cruise(second on the Zuiderdam), and here is a brief summary:

EMBARKATION: We got to the pier at 11:15 a.m., and went right in. We were given a number to board the ship and proceeded to check in. This was more organized than last year. Went upstairs and sat for a few minutes until our number was called. Cabins were off limits until 1:30 p.m., so we checked our carry on luggage upstairs and went to the Lido to have something to eat. After lunch we went downstairs to check our table location in the dining room and after that we went up to our cabin(before 1:30 p.m.). Our carry on luggage was already in the room. We had an aft cabin (4179), very spacious, lots of closet space, and lots of vibration as well. Before sailing the sky opened up and it poured - the drill was postponed until the next day at 4:15 p.m. in Half Moon Cay. Our luggage arrived at 5 pm. soaking, thank God that the clothes did not get wet but I heard that many passengers had worse problems and some had damaged pieces of clothing. I guess that the baggage handlers just left the luggage out in the rain.

PORTS OF CALL

HALF MOON CAY: Was sunny, very warm and just delightful. The beach was wonderful.

GRAND CAYMAN: Very nice, didn't do any excursions because we've been there several times.

COSTA MAYA: This wins the prize! We booked a beach/snorkel excursion. HAL described it as a gorgeous beach close to paradise. We boarded the motor coach and after driving on narrow unpaved roads for about 45 mins. we pulled into this shack. The beach was unkept to say the least, the facilities were poor, no lights in the restroom, bugs all over the place. I just couldn't wait to head back to the ship. There are some nice stores right by the pier but overall this place is a developing port. I will definitely avoid it in the future.

FOOD: I thought that it was average to good. We ate in the dining room 5 nights, the food was not spectacular. Had to meals at the Lido Court and it was not much different than the dining room. Breakfasts and Lunches were generally good but I noticed a lot of chicken served at lunch time. Overall it was O.K.

DISEMBARKATION: It was a mess! We were supposed to dock about 7 a.m., and we had a 12:00 p.m. flight. The ship was about 2 hours late and we did not get out of the ship until 11:05 or so. I thought for sure that we were going to miss the flight. Finding the luggage was a challenge because it was separated and the tension was at full speed. We made it to the airport with just about enough time to run to the gate after checking in.

I was a mess because I had not slept well the night before because our cabin shook the entire night. It was really disturbing and uncertain. I never thought that I would be so happy to be on a plane.

This was an experience and we enjoyed most of the cruise. I wish all of you great weather on your future cruises and if you have any specific questions I will be glad to respond.

ReMar

Glad to hear that none of your clothing was ruined. I always pack everything is plastic bags, etc., in hopes that if it is raining nothing will be ruined.

Do you know why there was so much vibration in your cabin the last night?

We weren't impressed with Costa Maya either.

I guess that some of the aft cabins vibrate more because of the engines. We also encountered a problem with ashes from the engines covering the verandah and furniture there. We complained and they sent someone to clean it while we were at one of the ports. The next morning it was the same and we complained again, you could not walk there barefoot. They apologized and sent us a plate of chocolate covered fruits. The issue with the ashes happened twice, I don't know if others had the same problem.

We were lucky that our clothes were o.k., but I felt the vibration even earlier during the cruise. During the last two days with Dennis at our heels it was worse and I could hear the toiletries shaking in the bathroom. I will think twice before booking another aft cabin.

I am glad to here I am not the only one that had the ash problem. I was upgraded to an aft cabin so did not want to complain. But every day there was ash all over I was down on my hands and knees cleaning it up daily!

I would never pay for an aft cabin.

We have had 2 wake cabins and never had soot or trash on the veranda - ever!

RaMar - As for the vibration, you're lucky you were aft in the rough seas. Had you been up forward you may have been rolled right out of your bed. The movement near the bow is much more exaggerated.

I am glad to here I am not the only one that had the ash problem. I was upgraded to an aft cabin so did not want to complain. But every day there was ash all over I was down on my hands and knees cleaning it up daily! I would never pay for an aft cabin.
Candy <-- will have an aft cabin on Zuidy V in 32 days!

Candy - I don't know about the bow cabins but I really felt the vibration during the last two days of the cruise. Generally it doesn't bother me much but it was pretty rough. Everything in the closets was shaking and it was uncomfortable.

My DH and I were also on this cruise and you are not exagerating about the vibrations and rocking and rolling last Friday night. I felt as if I should keep one foot on the floor or fall out of the bed. It was a very sleepless night for us. We were pretty much midship cabin 6096 and believe me it was rough. We had to take all of the hangers out of the closet and put them on the floor because they kept sliding from one side of the closet to the other.

We never got off the ship until 11am and missed our 11:35 flight; luckily SW was able to rebook us on the 1pm flight.

All in all the trip was great; solid sunshine all week and lots of fun!

I was on this cruise also, and I think the movement on the last night was mainly due to the weather. We were in the aft section of the ship, deck 6, and we only felt rocking, very little vibrating.

Candy - I don't know about the bow cabins but I really felt the vibration during the last two days of the cruise. Generally it doesn't bother me much but it was pretty rough. Everything in the closets was shaking and it was uncomfortable.
I feel bad when anyone has an uncomfortable cruise... we only had one, on the Norway. We had a Penthouse Suite which vibrated day and night in flat seas, and while we could fall asleep at night, we had a hard time napping. We had to stuff pillows between furniture pieces and room dividers to stop the noise. Hope the next cruise makes up for it.

Candy