ships horn

irishjim

Watched the Noordam sailaway and not a single blast leaving Port.Also noticed only one forward radar in operation:confused:

I wonder if

the lack of horn blasts was in respect for the crew:confused:

RIP to all whoe lost their lives. Jim.

If after sunset, there might be a restriction on noise.

Other ships did; so I'm pretty sure no restriction. Some Captains just don't toot unless necessary.

There were some toots when the Noordam passed the condos tonight. Those were air horns from the condo residents.

Other ships did; so I'm pretty sure no restriction. Some Captains just don't toot unless necessary.

There were some toots when the Noordam passed the condos tonight. Those were air horns from the condo residents.

I actually thought those were from the Noordam. We need to get a message to this Captain before I sail in January, although I'm sure there will be a different captain then.

Some use of the ship's horn is at the option of the Captain while other uses (such as 3 bleeps for backing up) are required. We were recently on a 28 day Veendam cruise where the regular Captain (Norman) made minimal use of the horn. But for a few days we had a replacement Captain (Captain Norman had to go home for some business) and our new Captain loved to use the horn. When he made his goodbye announcement (Captain Norman was rejoining the ship) our replacement Captain announced that he was taking "his whistle" with him when he left the ship. You could here the laughter around the deck :)

Hank

Some use of the ship's horn is at the option of the Captain while other uses (such as 3 bleeps for backing up) are required. We were recently on a 28 day Veendam cruise where the regular Captain (Norman) made minimal use of the horn. But for a few days we had a replacement Captain (Captain Norman had to go home for some business) and our new Captain loved to use the horn. When he made his goodbye announcement (Captain Norman was rejoining the ship) our replacement Captain announced that he was taking "his whistle" with him when he left the ship. You could here the laughter around the deck :)

Hank

You are absolutely correct. 3 long blasts for engines going astern and 1 prolonged blast for changing status; i.e. all mooring lines clear and ship is underway. These are mandatory signals under the International Rules of the Road.

Aside for the regulatory toots, the ones leaving the channel...that are for everyone's enjoyment...the Noordam did not do. Neither did the Westerdam last week. We'll see today.

I, too, wonder if it's out of respect for the friends and families of the Filipinos on board.

Aside for the regulatory toots, the ones leaving the channel...that are for everyone's enjoyment...the Noordam did not do. Neither did the Westerdam last week. We'll see today.

I, too, wonder if it's out of respect for the friends and families of the Filipinos on board.

Could be or could be other ships in vicinity that Captain did not want to confuse with non-regulatory blasts.

The Princess that left before Noordam tooted as did the OTS whe came after her. This HAL captain just didn't get the memo that we are listening (and rating) the horns!

When we left Port Everglades it sounded like the Royal Princess was playing a tune on her horns...unless it was coming from somewhere else.

When we left Port Everglades it sounded like the Royal Princess was playing a tune on her horns...unless it was coming from somewhere else.

It does play a tune...two bars from "the Love Boat".

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app