Rum & Coke

As I'm trying to pass the time as I anxiously await my turn to set sail :p , I have been reading through the post .... :confused: thought of a question.

I always purchase a soda package for myself on each cruise ...... Does this allow for a discount when I order Rum & Coke? I'm sure a shot of Rum is cheaper than the entire drink... Just wondering!

As I'm trying to pass the time as I anxiously await my turn to set sail :p , I have been reading through the post .... :confused: thought of a question.

I always purchase a soda package for myself on each cruise ...... Does this allow for a discount when I order Rum & Coke? I'm sure a shot of Rum is cheaper than the entire drink... Just wondering!

Since you can get a soda from any bar fountain I would think you could just buy a rum and add your soda. Rum on the rocks.

Not sure if I'm answering the question you asked, but here's what I do. It's partly because I'm "frugal" and partly because the rum and cokes are too strong for me. I buy a shot of rum and a can of coke with a glass of ice. I get 2-3 drinks for the price of roughly one drink. The shot is always cheaper than the rum and coke mixed drink, at least in my experience. So yes, I would think if you have the soda package, you could save money, but maybe only if you use less than a shot in your drink. Does that make sense?:D

The shot is always cheaper than the rum and coke mixed drink, at least in my experience.
Maybe it is in some podunk bar, but on a cruise ship, the mixer, whether it be soda, juice or water is free and part of the alcoholic drink. Now, the logical way to be frugal would be to have your RCI insulated soda cup and then you order a Bacardi on the rocks. When doing this, the bartender will usually give you more alcohol than if you ordered a rum and coke. After signing your tab, dump the Bacardi on the rocks into your insulated cup and you're good to go with a much larger drink that will have as much soda in the cup as you would like, because you filled it.

Maybe it is in some podunk bar, but on a cruise ship, the mixer, whether it be soda, juice or water is free and part of the alcoholic drink. Now, the logical way to be frugal would be to have your RCI insulated soda cup and then you order a Bacardi on the rocks. When doing this, the bartender will usually give you more alcohol than if you ordered a rum and coke. After signing your tab, dump the Bacardi on the rocks into your insulated cup and you're good to go with a much larger drink that will have as much soda in the cup as you would like, because you filled it.

This is exactly what I had in mind! I have my soda cup filled drink some down and fill it with a Rum on the Rocks! Perfect!! I'll let you all know how it goes, set sail in a few days :D

Funnily enough on our cruise a guy kept trying to use his alcohol package for soda. He'd order rum and coke hold the rum. One bartender balked so he asked him for the smallest drop of rum he could have and still count as a "drink." Eventually he just gave him the soda.

I suspect it's silliness like this that caused RCCL to include the soda package with the alcohol package.