Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

Have you noticed that we haven't even set sail yet?

and, already, DRAMA!

We celebrated the safe recovery of the purse by going back to the WJ for that ice cream!

(This is especially for Curtis-Bionicman97...ice cream artistry photos go way back between us and I hope this one is worthy! I look forward to seeing yours in a review soon!)

153586980.jpg

While at the WJ, we walked to the aft section to look down to where our aft cabin would be (you cannot see any part of it except the rail from that vantage point) We are aft to aft with Celebrity Summit, and I took a photo- I need to do some research to learn which cabins are back there and how to book those, not only did they have loungers but they had an exercycle, and a hot tub, and a bar!!! These were some cabins!!

(Photos of Celebrity Summit- this is from sailaway...Im going to check with DH and see if he has one during the day with a better view of all the amenities!)

153586855.jpg

We still had an hour or so before cabins opened, so we took a walk around so I could show DH all Jewel has up top- we checked out Seaview cafe, which had a note in the Compass that it was open 11:15 AM, but it was not open when we walked by. We looked down on the pool deck, which was filling up with its fair share of warm cruisers since the day was hot and sunny.

(pool area from the Vortex)

153587156.jpg

We went to the towel station to check out 4 towels and then we went to the solarium till cabins opened at 1PM. Ok, actually we both fell asleep till 1:45 PM, those Solarium chairs are very comfortable.:o

(solarium)

153587164.jpg

Just found your review, seeing that I seem to follow you around on the same cruises a month or two later, I'm glad to find this one.

Speaking of jokes, was Helen Hunt with you on this one? ;)

I can't believe I didn't come to pester you in your roll call.

Back to reading.

Yeah, Bill, you think I haven't noticed you stalking?!? ;):p JK, actually, I love reading YOUR reviews because its usually after I have sailed and I get to "re-live"; which is the second best reason to read reviews after "to plan".;) I hope you and Mrs OH have a great trip!!:D

looking to go on jewel next year or 2015...looking forward to the rest of the review!

Such a long wait...but well worth it! Thanks!

Hi I am really enjoying your review!! You are an amazing writer and your wonderful sense of humor comes through your writing and really makes me feel like I'm there with you. My husband and myself(from Boston)are cruising the Jewel leaving this Saturday. I am soaking up your every word and loving every bit of it. Your husband and you sound a lot like us in how you handle things and brings a smile to my face as I read. I think we are on the other itinerary. But love hearing about the ship. It sounds like you won't be finished before we leave but, I will enjoy your review until we leave on Saturday(yes we're flying in the day of, they are predicting a light snow early Saturday morning so wish us luck)so please keep it coming. Thank You

Rhonda

Another one leaving Saturday??? Have you met Karen from post 16 yet ? Karen, this is Rhonda from post 24, Rhonda, this is Karen...looks like you guys are sailing together on Saturday, you lucky dogs!! I don't suppose you would want me to email you the compasses too? I'm happy to, if you leave your email.:D

Thanks for your kind words...I take after my dad, and we both think we are uproariously funny, and laugh at our own jokes, (like people who don't smell their own stink:rolleyes:) But hey, other people laugh to, possibly at us, but they are laughing...and as Carly, the CD says on Jewel (she really did, I am not making this up) "you should laugh every day!!" And yes, as much as we travel with as much as can go wrong with travel, and with how trivial those problems are in the face of what some people face far more bravely that I ever could- I have to laugh!:D

Edited by Familygoboston

Can we go to the cabin yet?

At 1:45 PM we headed down to our cabin 8168 on the aft and our bags were already sitting in the hall outside of our door.

This cabin was stunning, and we never once made it to the pool or the Solarium again for the rest of the week, because we would just hang out here. I'm still stunned that these cabins cost no more than the standard cabins (and sometimes less, because they are not midship!) Some folks do not like the trek down the hallway, but this is not a problem for us, and being tucked around the corner makes it so very quiet!

(cabin interior)

153586853.jpg

(veiw out the balcony door)

153587190.jpg

This balcony is AWESOME! Two loungers, two chairs, one with a foot rest and one of the puny short tables you get on the older ships. I don't like to be covetous (it's not just that its a sin, but mostly because it just doesn't make you happy, but it's a little hard to be so excited about my awesome balcony when I am looking at Summits butt end and see these! (Hot tubs, exercise bikes, umm, which deck is the loyalty advisor, I need to go book Summit.)

(veiw)

153586854.jpg

And the oft asked question...what is behind the door/in the empty space on the deck plans in the corner next to 8168?

882945_10202527379763577_557868460_o.jpg

Just this staircase for crew that we never saw anyone ever use! The other ladder (the official name for ships stairs;)) is located maybe 6 cabins up the hallway and has all the "support" supplies and services the cabin stewards need, such as linen or food carts, elevators for luggage movement etc. Other than an emergency, I can't imagine why anyone would use this ladder, and we never heard any noise from the area.

So here's the deal, this really wasn't our cabin! We just borrowed it from CC member Bpark, who has, with his lovely bride, sailed in this cabin on this exact week for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, before he got to re book it for this year, unbeknownst to us that it was his cabin, we booked it! B and B were very gracious about it, but I felt a little guilty being in "their" cabin all week, while they were in another on the aft. Luckily there was a cabin between us so he couldn't rip our eyes out! Ok, I'm kidding, that was a joke, actually, we shared an excursion with them in Barbados and had a wonderful time with them, and thankfully, we are not traveling this same week next year and Bpark wasted no time heading to the LA and booking his cabin again for 2014! Happy sailing in your cabin again, B & B, wish we were going with you again!!

Familygoboston, LOVE your reviews! Thank you! Were your daughters sad they couldn't go on this one???

I am also an aft cabin lover...we had 1400 on freedom class and I was in awe that they were the same price as regular balcony cabins...best kept secret ever!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip.

Is it me, or is the solarium kind of strange looking? What's with the swiss chalet and golden duck heads??? :confused:

Edited by micmacmissy

Balcony Photos

(Balcony)

153587183.jpg

153587185.jpg

153587186.jpg

This is what it looks like if you move to the furthest left of the balcony and "peek" around the port side

153587189.jpg

This is a good place to discuss...noises and motion (cue scary music...duhn, duhn, duhn!)

In my earlier Jewel review I did a whole review about the pros and cons of aft cabins. Its the usual stuff, more movement, less traffic, longer walk, fabulous balcony...blah, blah, blah! I think either you are a fan or not.

Because DH is such a shutter bug, this cabin was perfect for us. He had the ability to shoot both straight back and out the port side. As you can see in the photo, you can't see the bow or anything, but you can see what is on that side. In all of our ports, Jewel "pulled" into dock, but did a pivot turn when leaving port, so you will notice that from the stern, that gave us a panoramic view of the port we were leaving at sunset. This made for some great photos and very relaxing afternoons out on the balcony until it got too dark or too close to dinner or both! So thats a pro!

As for cons; if you are a light sleeper, you definitely hear more of the "business" of the cruise ship from these rear cabins. I always heard the sounds of thrusters and other clunks before we docked in the AM. If you are super sensitive to this or love to sleep in, you could find it disturbing.

We also noticed on rougher nights (we had some high winds) we could hear some sliding into a "clunking" sound; whether this was a loose balcony or closet door somewhere or the stabilizers, I don't know. I am a pretty light sleeper and while I noticed it, I can't say the intermittent sounds kept me from sleeping. That might be partly due to the fact that I am used to cruising on small ships where no cabin is truly free from the noises of the "business" of the ship (tenders, engines, anchors, chains and what not)

As far as motion, we noticed a bit more in the aft, but not appreciably more. So if its a rough night and you aren't feeling great, you would not notice a big enough difference between this cabin or a mid ship cabin to make a difference.

I will also note that we noticed almost no smokers on the aft balconies for this cruise.

There was a lot of furniture on this balcony! and because DH wanted to be able to move around with his camera, we rearranged it so you could easily get in and out of the balcony door and move from right to left without having to crawl over a chair. This configuration worked well for us!

Your pictures are awesome!!! and your writing is soo enjoyable :)

Thanks again for sharing!!

Hiram

DH thanks you, Hiram! Just remember bad photos = me, good photos = DH ;)

Familygoboston, LOVE your reviews! Thank you! Were your daughters sad they couldn't go on this one???

I am also an aft cabin lover...we had 1400 on freedom class and I was in awe that they were the same price as regular balcony cabins...best kept secret ever!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip.

Is it me, or is the solarium kind of strange looking? What's with the swiss chalet and golden duck heads??? :confused:

LOL! I think they were going for a Bali sort of thing...the ducks might have been elephants or "gods"? The weirdest thing that you can't see here is that the fake foliage has turned a strange, otherwordly, not found in nature, not even Bali, bright green, probably from UV exposure. I imagine its one of the things scheduled to be "updated" in the refurb!

Ah yes, the girls...sure they were not happy, stuck in school while we cruised :( but we have taken a cruise or trip every year, just us, so they are used to it! Also, we came home told DD2 that she can take her pick for her graduation June 2015 cruise. She's thinking Freedom Class, so I may just look for one of those aft balconies! I think those may be even a little more "sheltered" than the ones on Jewel, which appeals to me, since I find a whole day in the intense sun a little too much!

OMG! I do this TOO!!!! And I'm a Sox fan!! We really have to meet some day!!:D

By the time we leave I have a schedule of what I plan to wear each day (or part of day; DH refers to these as "costume changes") You would think that by having a daily schedule of what to wear that I care deeply about fashion and clothing and how I look (and you would be wrong...just look at the photos to come!) I make a schedule so that I don't have to think again about what to wear and I don't have to carry a thing I won't wear...this frees me to enjoy every minute of my vacation doing what I DO enjoy (which is not trying on shoes!)

Me too!! To the outfit planning that is. Know nothing of sport!

By the time we leave I have a schedule of what I plan to wear each day (or part of day; DH refers to these as "costume changes") You would think that by having a daily schedule of what to wear that I care deeply about fashion and clothing and how I look (and you would be wrong...just look at the photos to come!) I make a schedule so that I don't have to think again about what to wear and I don't have to carry a thing I won't wear...this frees me to enjoy every minute of my vacation doing what I DO enjoy (which is not trying on shoes!)

If it's not too much trouble, when you've scanned the Compasses (I mostly just need the last two pages for the scheduled activities and suggested dinner attire), would you mind emailing them to me as well?? No rush, I don't cruise until March. Being a meticulous planner like you, I LIVE for these details!!! (I'm three months out and have already begun drafting my clothing spread sheets!!)

Thanks!

printingchick@hotmail

Another one leaving Saturday??? Have you met Karen from post 16 yet ? Karen, this is Rhonda from post 24, Rhonda, this is Karen...looks like you guys are sailing together on Saturday, you lucky dogs!! I don't suppose you would want me to email you the compasses too? I'm happy to, if you leave your email.:D

Thanks for your kind words...I take after my dad, and we both think we are uproariously funny, and laugh at our own jokes, (like people who don't smell their own stink:rolleyes:) But hey, other people laugh to, possibly at us, but they are laughing...and as Carly, the CD says on Jewel (she really did, I am not making this up) "you should laugh every day!!" And yes, as much as we travel with as much as can go wrong with travel, and with how trivial those problems are in the face of what some people face far more bravely that I ever could- I have to laugh!:D

Yes Karen and I have chatted in our Thread and I am very much looking forward to meeting her. I do appreciate the offer but, I am one of those nutty people who just waits patiently(ya right) until I board to see the compasses but, thank you so much for the offer. Just enjoying the review until we leave Saturday please keep it coming. Thank goodness you found your bag, that would have killed me and my husband would never let me live it down. Your cabin and balcony look amazing!

Rhonda

Edited by windham depot

Yes Karen and I have chatted in our Thread and I am very much looking forward to meeting her. I do appreciate the offer but, I am one of those nutty people who just waits patiently(ya right) until I board to see the compasses but, thank you so much for the offer. Just enjoying the review until we leave Saturday please keep it coming. Thank goodness you found your bag, that would have killed me and my husband would never let me live it down. Your cabin and balcony look amazing!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda! Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday!!!

Karen

Kathy,

By any chance did you go to see the piano player in the Schooner Bar? If so, how was he? We always enjoy hanging out there in the evening after dinner and singing along to the songs. I'm hoping he's good since we will be sailing with him for 2 weeks.

Karen

Me too!! To the outfit planning that is. Know nothing of sport!

LOL! and to think I was unique in this way ;) I'm glad to hear Im not the only one who plans all the "costume changes"! Yes, Printingchick, I've also seen your postings and often thought we'd have fun cruising together!:D

And Cshgrand, no worries about bball, you can become a "pink hat"; we have lots of them in Boston (everyone loves a winner, try being a Cleveland fan- now that's diehard!) and all they really need to know is "sweet caroline";)

Keep the review coming, Family.

I am scheduled to be on her for new year....

Hi Emdee, Im so glad you joined me here!:D We really enjoyed this cruise, as far as ports go, it was closest to PG of any of our Caribbean cruises! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time! Is DD sailing with you?

If it's not too much trouble, when you've scanned the Compasses (I mostly just need the last two pages for the scheduled activities and suggested dinner attire), would you mind emailing them to me as well?? No rush, I don't cruise until March. Being a meticulous planner like you, I LIVE for these details!!! (I'm three months out and have already begun drafting my clothing spread sheets!!)

Thanks!

printingchick@hotmail

May not be till later (I still have driving to do tonight (2 more months till license!!) but i will try!

Rhonda

So glad you connected...I'm jealous, wish I was cruising again this weekend, it will be wonderful!

Loving your review. I'm in 9256 just above your cabin. Cruising with Bill & Gina from Ohio May 3rd and a lot of AZ Cruiser friends. Bill said I stole this cabin from under him. haha.:) The luck of the draw I guess. It wasn't available when he booked before I did but it happened to open up at the same time I was booking so I snagged it.

I am so excited to see your review! Thank you so much.:) I am on the same cruise with Bill (your stalker) and my Arizona Cruiser friend Lisa, who posted just above me. We are sailing in May. We are on a B2B. I am another aft lover (9260) and I see we have another thing in common - packing styles!:D I do the exact same thing as you, make a spread sheet with all of my "costume changes" down to the last detail. I keep my sheet in the drawer with the hair dryer and refer to it everyday. I always have exactly what I need. No more, no less. I call it my lazy way of dressing. I never have to think about what I will wear each day.:cool:

Sitting back now and waiting for more.:)

Yah!!!! Love your reviews! You should know that ship like the back of your hand by now--at least your boarding experience didn't involve fog this time! Looking forward to more, and kudos to DH for some awesome pictures so far!

Chris