New Pinnacle Menu

frankc98376

I admire your 'adventure' side that permitted you to order it in Sioux Falls. :)

I might have wanted it but might have been reluctant to 'risk' ordering it. That is the New England seafood side of me. :D

I admire your 'adventure' side that permitted you to order it in Sioux Falls. :)

I might have wanted it but might have been reluctant to 'risk' ordering it. That is the New England seafood side of me. :D

Well, it was only one dinner I was risking, so not the end of the world if I didn't like it. You can miss out on a lot of good things in life by being afraid to take even a little chance on something. Plus the restaurant was obviously owned and operated by Italians, it had that wonderful odor of garlic as you walked in the door, small but crowded with locals, and every dish that passed our table looked so good. Actually we've found in our 5 trips driving cross country and back that flyover country serves some excellent food.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Well, it was only one dinner I was risking, so not the end of the world if I didn't like it. You can miss out on a lot of good things in life by being afraid to take even a little chance on something. Plus the restaurant was obviously owned and operated by Italians, it had that wonderful odor of garlic as you walked in the door, small but crowded with locals, and every dish that passed our table looked so good. Actually we've found in our 5 trips driving cross country and back that flyover country serves some excellent food.

With the fullness of that description, that would have influenced my deciding what to order.

It isn't the end of the world for me if we have a dinner out that isn't all I hoped for. In the end, it's only a meal! Not like we don't have plenty of meals! :D

It really stinks that the veal chop went away, the french onion soup I'm not going to miss so much as I've always personally felt the one in the MDR/room service was better even if "simpler", the crab cakes could be better now as it's lump crab meat. Having cruised with the line for years and it's gone between 1 and 2 over the years, sometimes large, sometimes small, sometimes more crab, sometimes more filler... maybe this will make it a consistent product.

Other than that, and I guess MAYBE I get it for the caviar (anyone know if what is listed is even a "good" caviar that would be worth that price?) the fact there is an extra charge for anything on a menu BASED around an extra charge is absolutely insane. If they need to up the price to $30 or $35 and in turn want to offer a far superior product, by all means do. But to get people in the door for $25 then basically say "oh you want that? that's even MORE" is completely stupid (and yes I get that it's listed on the menu and won't be a surprise charge etc... that's not the point I'm making here.

Mixed bag here. I see a couple things that might be better but the extra charge on top of an extra charge venue for the food? That's a HUGE mistake in my opinion

A thought crossed my mind.

3 star Mariners can get the Pinnacle dinner at 25% off.

4 and 5 star Mariners get the Pinnacle dinner at 50% off.

Wonder if the "star" people can get % off on the Caviar and the King crab legs?

Interesting question. I wonder if HAL thought that far ahead and has an answer ready? And will it be a consistent answer no matter what ship it is asked on or what phone rep one gets calling the Seattle office? :confused:

Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes: I suspect they have done this to 'make up' for the 'free' dinners and the discounts that the mariners get?

Adding a surcharge of this amount seems very unpalatable to me :rolleyes:

Indokiwi - thanks for sharing the new menu. I see some of DH's favourite things are gone - as well as mine. Maybe they will 'tune' it up a bit?

A surcharge on top of a surcharge? Unreal, cheap and very tacky :eek: What next? A surcharge if you want béarnaise sauce on top of your steak?

And some people here have accused me of nickel and diming HAL because I want to bring a case full of $150 a bottle wine on board? :rolleyes:

Five Star Mariners get two complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Should the caviar also be complimentary? :)

But.... very good question about eligibile Mariners getting the discount attached to their star level. I vote YES. ;)

Five Star Mariners get two complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Should the caviar also be complimentary? :)

But.... very good question about eligibile Mariners getting the discount attached to their star level. I vote YES. ;)

My guess would be the extra charge for caviar and King crab legs will be charged in full even to star Mariners who get a discounted or complimentary dinner. I think they will say the discounted or complimentary Mariner benefit is for the regular PG meal, not the extra charge items. Just a guess, however. I'd like to see a picture of how much caviar you get for $45.

My guess would be the extra charge for caviar and King crab legs will be charged in full even to star Mariners who get a discounted or complimentary dinner. I think they will say the discounted or complimentary Mariner benefit is for the regular PG meal' date=' not the extra charge items. Just a guess, however. I'd like to see a picture of how much caviar you get for $45.[/quote']

I think you likely are correct.

Love the new menu! Clearly we'll need to eat there more than twice on our next cruise!

We cruise just once per year, so need to get my "fix" :)

The Double R Ranch looks like it may very well be a good choice of a company for HA to use...

From their website:

" Maintaining the trust of consumers is a responsibility that the Rebholtz family and all of those affiliated with the Double R Ranch Co. take very seriously. The fundamental values of Conservation, Compassion, and Safety and Wholesomeness are evident in our daily activities.

Environmental Conservation and Preservation

Conservation of natural resources including wildlife and plant communities

Recycling nutrients back into the land

Effective carbon footprint management

Supporting the development of alternative energy sources

Compassion for Others

A history of leading programs to fight hunger, particularly in the Pacific Northwest

The support of education in communities in which it operates

Commitment to sustaining local farmers and ranchers

Zero tolerance code of cattle care program that ensures the proper care and handling of animals

Safety and Wholesomeness

Verification of product integrity through internal and third party verifications

Investment in state-of-the-art practices to ensure food safety"

Only if it has nice things to say about the Captain!! :p

:) We Always have nice things to say about the Captain. :cool:

Well.... maybe there was once or twice out of over 80 HAL cruises where

we miight have said one or two less the complimentary comments about

one Captain or another. :) Don't Tell!!!!

Interesting question. I wonder if HAL thought that far ahead and has an answer ready? And will it be a consistent answer no matter what ship it is asked on or what phone rep one gets calling the Seattle office? :confused:

I am certain that each person who calls Seattle will get a different answer.

Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes: I suspect they have done this to 'make up' for the 'free' dinners and the discounts that the mariners get?

Adding a surcharge of this amount seems very unpalatable to me :rolleyes:

Indokiwi - thanks for sharing the new menu. I see some of DH's favourite things are gone - as well as mine. Maybe they will 'tune' it up a bit?

I figure the same way -- HAL had to dream up something to make up for the free dinners that some of us will (hopefully) be getting.

My guess would be the extra charge for caviar and King crab legs will be charged in full even to star Mariners who get a discounted or complimentary dinner. I think they will say the discounted or complimentary Mariner benefit is for the regular PG meal' date=' not the extra charge items. Just a guess, however. I'd like to see a picture of how much caviar you get for $45.[/quote']

I just tossed my wonderings out there to see what others thought.

I agree -- HAL isn't going to discount the caviar or the King crab legs.

I also would like to see a picture of how much caviar a person gets at that price. And what type it is.