? about GEM NYC arrival time

bedfordmom

Hi. We just booked the GEM for 2/17 and I noticed that arrival time is 10am. I am trying to figure out what time to book BOLT my bus back to Boston either 11am or noon. I believe the bus pickup is a quick cabride from the terminal.

When we were on board for the 11/16 sailing, we were told the usual arrival time is 8am. However, due to rough seas on our return, we did not dock until after 10am and then the ship wasn't cleared by customs until about an hour later. I think the first folks started walking off around 11:30, but I can't recall for sure. I think your safest bet is probably a noon bus. Tough call!

Thank you to both of you for your swift and wise replies. The last couple of times we sailed from NY, we parked at the port so I didn't pay attention to debarkation time. However I was shocked at the increase to 40$ per day; so ten days would be $400 compared to 52$RT for 2 (if I book early), plus cab to port. I will book the noon bus and walk off. If for some reason, we miss it; I could always pay for another busvia bolt, megabus etc.

While it's true that you never know, it is usually back at the dock much earlier than 10. Someone else who was recently on the ship was off the ship at 7:30am.

I don't know why they started with this 10am arrival back to port. Even for our cruise to nowhere it showed 10am and we were at the dock at 7am.

Edited by mizlorinj

Thank you to both of you for your swift and wise replies. The last couple of times we sailed from NY, we parked at the port so I didn't pay attention to debarkation time. However I was shocked at the increase to 40$ per day; so ten days would be $400 compared to 52$RT for 2 (if I book early), plus cab to port. I will book the noon bus and walk off. If for some reason, we miss it; I could always pay for another busvia bolt, megabus etc.

Has it really went to 40 dollars a day? I hated paying 35...but 40....? That's crazy.

While it's true that you never know, it is usually back at the dock much earlier than 10. Someone else who was recently on the ship was off the ship at 7:30am.

I don't know why they started with this 10am arrival back to port. Even for our cruise to nowhere it showed 10am and we were at the dock at 7am.

So far this season, there has only been one sailing that came in close to the 10 mark, but that does not mean there won't be others.

The return from Samana requires the ship to travel at approximately 23 knots the entire way, in order to make it back. If there are weather-related issues, that could cause the ship to slow, thus the reason behind the 10am time.

I'm fairly sure Norwegian would rather have guests arrive earlier than expected to the dock, rather than much later and risking missed flights. ;)

I can book the noon bus and can possibly go standbye on an earlier bus if we get in earlier. In February, weather related issues are not out of the question. If the ship does come in at 10am; it must be hard for the ship to do the turnover in a timely manner?

Hi. We just booked the GEM for 2/17 and I noticed that arrival time is 10am. I am trying to figure out what time to book BOLT my bus back to Boston either 11am or noon. I believe the bus pickup is a quick cabride from the terminal.

We are thinking of booking that cruise too.