Pride of America Disaster at Sea

Wally4973

My family and I are first time cruisers, we are booked on the PO America on August 13.

The timing was right for our family and we thought that POAM being a brand new ship was an added bonus. We hoped that by the time August came around, they would have worked out all the little problems. During the past few weeks I have read many posts describing good and bad experiences on the POAM. After reading a positive post, you can’t but feel good about your upcoming trip and then after reading a negative post, you ask yourself what are you letting yourself in for? As I have learned, everyone has their own opinion and what makes one person unhappy may not affect another person to the same degree. In our everyday lives, the majority of us are stressed, including me. I’m looking forward to my relaxing vacation and spending time with my family. If everything does not go according to plan, and I know it won’t, yes I’ll be disappointed. But dwelling on what went wrong is not going to change it. I am going to try to keep an open mind. A person’s outlook and attitude can make a world of difference.

Donna, many people too, have invested a large amount of $ in their vacation. I believe that the most important thing is that you are spending time with your family. No vacation is ever perfect, it’s the little mishaps along the way that makes it memorable. Hope you have a good time.

It is true, no maiden voyages run smoothly. We will be on the Jewel's third cruise and fully expect some set backs; we still have never been so excited about a cruise and will roll with the punches. I remember the first 2 months the Star was in Hawaii, what horrible reviews it got. As soon as the freestyle glitches were ironed out and the crew completely comfortable with their positions everything did a turn around. It is too bad the OP had so many problems, I read and was happy to read two remarks on another thread that were very positive. One was by a writer for one of the Hawaiin papers, he had talked to a friend who had just gotten off the ship who said, other than a few MINOR problems the cruise was wonderful. A review will follow we hope. The other was from a professional who did a 2 day test cruise on her and was totally impressed. By the way, he went with the attitude of not being inpressed. Many things are just how we intertret them, others are truthfully servious concerns. NMNita

I know, this is an old subject, but I for one always question someone who has never posted before and comes on a site just to complain. If someone has been around for even a little while I feel different. Yes, some of you feel anyone has a right to start posting at anytime: oh so true, but it still sounds strange to me especially when they hit and run. NMNita

I know, this is an old subject, but I for one always question someone who has never posted before and comes on a site just to complain. If someone has been around for even a little while I feel different. Yes, some of you feel anyone has a right to start posting at anytime: oh so true, but it still sounds strange to me especially when they hit and run. NMNita

Nevermind.........:o

I was on the Regis and kelly cruise out of NY, I knew we were in trouble when the ship tried to leave and they forgot to untie us from the dock....:D , just kidding. But the cruise was full of flaws and it was to be expected. The lifeboat drill was a joke, my niece and her baby didn't show because she couldn't find a lifejacket for her 1 yr old. Now since she definitly let NCL know she was boarding with a baby you would think they would have had a lifejacket for her...... they couldn't find one for her either.

All in all it was a great cruise, it was FREE, but if we had paid for thic cruise I would have been very dissapointed. but it was neither a nightmare or a disaster.

I do have one question for some of the experienced cruisers, whouldn't they have had at least 50% of the crew as experienced crew members? They all went through extensive training and served each other for many days before we boarded. Even though we were the first REAL passengers on this ship, there was a disposable razor left in the bathroom and a dirty trash can in our room.

Beautiful ship, great food, great CD, I would definitley reccomend a cruise on this ship..........

Excuse spelling, I had to do this one handed, just had surgery on the other....

I do have one question for some of the experienced cruisers' date=' whouldn't they have had at least 50% of the crew as experienced crew members? [/quote']

I think NCL did pull as many experienced crew members from PRIDE OF ALOHA as possible, but even with that it's not enough.

Under normal circumstances, most cruise companies can pull from a vast array of experienced crew members from existing ships. Even if the crew is not pulled from existing ships, there is a huge pool of foreign crew members that have experience working onboard a ship. In the case of NCL America, there is really no where to pull crew from except PRIDE OF ALOHA since she is the only other large, mainstream cruise ship with American crew. There is not a large, experienced, pool of crew members just sitting around waiting to be called like there is with foreign based crews. Of course NCL can't pull every crew member from ALOHA since she needs to continue to operate smoothly as well. This meant a majority of crew for POA were new, but they also had the most extensive training NCL could possibly give them. It's been a massive undertaking for NCL, and all things considered I think they have done well.

There is certainly room for improvement, and I think NCL knows this. I also believe that improvement will come with time, experience, and growth. With each new ship added to NCL America, the staffing situation gets easier. With PRIDE OF HAWAII coming along it will be better yet. It's very difficult to staff a one-ship operation (like ALOHA was), but the economies of scale that can be achieved with a 3-ship operation mean more capital can be spent on larger and more advanced training facilities, and also a much larger pool of crew members can be hired for both onboard the ship and as reserves at home. I think things will only get better for NCL America.

I might add that staffing was so bad at Cunard during QM2's inaugural, that crew had to be "borrowed" from Princess Cruises. Now Cunard is being run by Princess so go figure. Cunard found itself in a similar situation as NCL America. Cunard only had one ship to pull crew from (QE2) for the startup of QM2. It wasn't enough and there were many new crew members. Princess Cruises has 20 or so ships, so pulling 5% (or less) of the experienced crew from each existing ship really doesn't impact service on those ships, but it will greatly improve service on a new ship. Small ship operations don't have that luxury.

Ernie

I think NCL did pull as many experienced crew members from PRIDE OF ALOHA as possible, but even with that it's not enough.

Under normal circumstances, most cruise companies can pull from a vast array of experienced crew members from existing ships. Even if the crew is not pulled from existing ships, there is a huge pool of foreign crew members that have experience working onboard a ship. In the case of NCL America, there is really no where to pull crew from except PRIDE OF ALOHA since she is the only other large, mainstream cruise ship with American crew. There is not a large, experienced, pool of crew members just sitting around waiting to be called like there is with foreign based crews. Of course NCL can't pull every crew member from ALOHA since she needs to continue to operate smoothly as well. This meant a majority of crew for POA were new, but they also had the most extensive training NCL could possibly give them. It's been a massive undertaking for NCL, and all things considered I think they have done well.

There is certainly room for improvement, and I think NCL knows this. I also believe that improvement will come with time, experience, and growth. With each new ship added to NCL America, the staffing situation gets easier. With PRIDE OF HAWAII coming along it will be better yet. It's very difficult to staff a one-ship operation (like ALOHA was), but the economies of scale that can be achieved with a 3-ship operation mean more capital can be spent on larger and more advanced training facilities, and also a much larger pool of crew members can be hired for both onboard the ship and as reserves at home. I think things will only get better for NCL America.

I might add that staffing was so bad at Cunard during QM2's inaugural, that crew had to be "borrowed" from Princess Cruises. Now Cunard is being run by Princess so go figure. Cunard found itself in a similar situation as NCL America. Cunard only had one ship to pull crew from (QE2) for the startup of QM2. It wasn't enough and there were many new crew members. Princess Cruises has 20 or so ships, so pulling 5% (or less) of the experienced crew from each existing ship really doesn't impact service on those ships, but it will greatly improve service on a new ship. Small ship operations don't have that luxury.

Ernie

Thank you, Ernie, for such a well-reasoned post.

It is true, no maiden voyages run smoothly. We will be on the Jewel's third cruise and fully expect some set backs; we still have never been so excited about a cruise and will roll with the punches. I remember the first 2 months the Star was in Hawaii, what horrible reviews it got. As soon as the freestyle glitches were ironed out and the crew completely comfortable with their positions everything did a turn around. It is too bad the OP had so many problems, I read and was happy to read two remarks on another thread that were very positive. One was by a writer for one of the Hawaiin papers, he had talked to a friend who had just gotten off the ship who said, other than a few MINOR problems the cruise was wonderful. A review will follow we hope. The other was from a professional who did a 2 day test cruise on her and was totally impressed. By the way, he went with the attitude of not being inpressed. Many things are just how we intertret them, others are truthfully servious concerns. NMNita

I don't think you have anything to worry about being on Jewel's 3rd cruise. NCL's best Hotel Director will be aboard to make sure everything runs smoothly and many of the crew will be the cream from the Dawn and other NCL ships. We are sailing on the Dawn in October with complete confidence and can't wait.

Hey thanks for all the reviews from different poits of view,, My wife and I set sail on Dec 16th for our 25th anniversary,so I hope it all goes well,,I have to say that the negative reviews ,,Well lets just say,i heard a lot od negative reviews about Aruba also ,but we decided to go anyway and had a great time there,so i guess you just have to make the trip a positive one ,,and expect some things to go wrong,but ya cant let them get to you,,your on vacation enjoy it,,hope to see some cruise critic members onboard

Yeah, why is that? You posted for the very first time at some point. Did you have ulterior motives when you posted the very first time? Probably not. And I bet the OP probably didn't either but after the beating a first time poster seems to take on a regular basis they are probably terrified to post again. Maybe newbies just need to pop into each thread and post a smiley in each one until they get their post count up to an "acceptable" number where they won't be beaten about the ears, viewed with suspicion or labeled a liar or troublemaker.

Yeah, why is that? You posted for the very first time at some point. Did you have ulterior motives when you posted the very first time? Probably not. And I bet the OP probably didn't either but after the beating a first time poster seems to take on a regular basis they are probably terrified to post again. Maybe newbies just need to pop into each thread and post a smiley in each one until they get their post count up to an "acceptable" number where they won't be beaten about the ears, viewed with suspicion or labeled a liar or troublemaker.

Not the case. Most first time posters jump in with a question. How many one post wonders do you see with a positive review - almost none. My bet not a first time poster but a first and only under this name.

This one post situation is not only found here but all over the Internet. Other then the uncalled for headline of Disaster clearly placed by an experienced poster to draw attention this was not an unexpected review.

There are now 3 other reviews of this sailing posted in the CC Members Review area, along with the OP's. All 4 of them express the same feelings. I had friends on the same 2 day TA no where cruise after the 4th. Food service was OK, but not great, as they felt it was cause of all the 'brass' on board. Cabin service was poor. Public area's and restrooms were not kept clean. This can not be in any way compared to sailing the Carib or Alaska with NCL. Which is what most are comparing to. 2 different Co's with 2 very different products

We have all told people we have met on ship about Cruise Critic and invited them to come join, and post comments.

Not the case. Most first time posters jump in with a question. How many one post wonders do you see with a positive review - almost none. My bet not a first time poster but a first and only under this name.

This one post situation is not only found here but all over the Internet. Other then the uncalled for headline of Disaster clearly placed by an experienced poster to draw attention this was not an unexpected review.

I respectfully disagree. I've read the OP several times and felt each time it was a detailed, honest description of how the OP felt about the trip. They had negative feelings to be sure and the headline was over the top considering the content but to call them into question over post count? This didn't strike me as a driveby, but rather an honest account of their cruise experience. Maybe I just don't have the ability to discern motive and intent just from the post count and reading into the headline, but IMO way too much is read into those by many ppl and really what does it matter anyway. Read the post, think what you will about it and go on. No need to beat the poster up and run them off the boards. It's their opinion and you have yours but allow them the dignity of differing.

I respectfully disagree. I've read the OP several times and felt each time it was a detailed, honest description of how the OP felt about the trip. They had negative feelings to be sure and the headline was over the top considering the content but to call them into question over post count? This didn't strike me as a driveby, but rather an honest account of their cruise experience. Maybe I just don't have the ability to discern motive and intent just from the post count and reading into the headline, but IMO way too much is read into those by many ppl and really what does it matter anyway. Read the post, think what you will about it and go on. No need to beat the poster up and run them off the boards. It's their opinion and you have yours but allow them the dignity of differing.

I totally agree with you. I had been reading this message board for months now, in anticipation of my 7/23 sailing on POAm. This is my second post here. Bashing people, and dismissing their concerns will make sure that you will miss what I consider to be valuable information, from a myriad of travelers, with different thoughts and concerns. All very important to me, thank you. Sounds to me like a lot of people are more concerned about the title of the thread, over the actual content. Perhaps all would rather these people not take the time to spend several hours posting a review, that is valuable regardless of content, simply because they have lurked more than they have posted.

I know that my sail date is sold out, a totally full ship, I anticipate pleanty of problems based on the amount of guests alone.

I will be on vacation in Hawai'i. Nothing will ruin it. Not waiting an hour for a steak, not a lazy cabin steward, not a messed up shore excursion or a salty handrail.....NOTHING. I'll take another Mai Tai, please. :D

I wish everyone sailing could be patient and understanding with the crew, and just RELAX. These people are adjusting to sea life. Cramped quarters and demanding guests can be exasperating at first, no matter how well prepared I imagine.

If I survive this post without bashing, all can look forward to a detailed, honest and subjective review after my cruise. Of course, from someone with an inferior number of posts, if that's ok with everyone ;) .

Please guys...enough about post counts. At one time or another we all had just one post. I understand people being suspicious of one post wonders that come to the board and rattle off a bad experience and you never see them again. But truth is most people find out about Cruise Critic while they're on a cruise. If they have a bad experience, they're more likely to come here and tell about it and maybe never come back because CC wasn't a part of their lives before. Or they'll hear about CC and make their way here in preparation for their second cruise. And that's how we get longstanding members with high post counts. Either way, Wally (the OP) is allowed to post his experience. One thing we all need to consider is that Wally made his first post on the morning of July 14. It's only the afternoon of the 16th right now. Maybe he isn't glued to CC like many of us and he hasn't had a chance to come back and respond more? Give him a chance. But even if he never comes back...he took a cruise, he has an opinion, he shared it with us. Now who's next with a review?

Maybe he isn't glued to CC like many of us and he hasn't had a chance to come back and respond more?

Not glued to CC??? Now we know there's something wrong with him;)

BTW- good food for thought on the first time poster thing. We talked to many people who had never heard of CC until they ran into us. Although- this board does seem to have a big share of one hit wonders. I call them seagulls- fly over, poop on us, and go.

There's also the old saying- satisfied customers tell 1 person, disssatisfied customers tell 100.

Wally: I completely understand where you are coming from. I was on Spirit in April and although it was an excellent cruise overall, there was a nightmare in Grand cayman with the tenders. The harbor started experiencing broad swells which to the naked eye looked like nothing much. Different story alongside. At one point, with about half of those who had gone ashore still standing in the blazing sun at the dock, NCL started using the shore tenders. There was still anywhere from 2 feet to about 12 feet difference between the tender and the Spirit, and the crew had to gauge when the right moment was and then literally haul old people, obese people, strollers, infants, everyone from the tender to the ship. At one point I thought they were going to lose a man in the drink. As a former Admiralty attorney I just stood on the deck wishing I could drop business cards down on the tenders. :rolleyes:

I think those that have experience in maritime personal injury, for example, or in your case Naval experience, would do well to just look away when this kind of thing happens.

Thanks for the review-

There are now 3 other reviews of this sailing posted in the CC Members Review area, along with the OP's. All 4 of them express the same feelings. I had friends on the same 2 day TA no where cruise after the 4th. Food service was OK, but not great, as they felt it was cause of all the 'brass' on board. Cabin service was poor. Public area's and restrooms were not kept clean. This can not be in any way compared to sailing the Carib or Alaska with NCL. Which is what most are comparing to. 2 different Co's with 2 very different products

We have all told people we have met on ship about Cruise Critic and invited them to come join, and post comments.

I don't think we should ever refer someone to another board, but if I were going to again I just re-read 2 reports and both said they are very happy with the new POA. As I said, one was on one to the 2 day jobs and said he has now formed a new opinion of NCL and not in a negative way; the other reported receiving an email from a friend that said, other than a few minor equiptment problems the cruise went smoothly. I think we could debate this all day and night. There will always be those who rightfully or otherwise will find fault and there will always be those who have learned to roll with the punches a little easier. Neither and completely right or wrong. As for those who see nothing wrong with people bashing on the very first posting, it is unusual and will always cause a certain amount of question. Again, especially when those who post do not return. I remember way back when, before the cave men were in existance, I had a college pych professor who said the best criticism is called the sandwhich. you compliment, criticize and compliment: I do believe these are the types of reviews most of us appreciate and put the most faith in. Read "Dawn review, warning it is positive" or something like that. NMNita

I don't think we should ever refer someone to another board, NMNita

I did not reffer anyone to another board, (besides Host 'C' would have blown it off the board! ;) ) CC stands for Cruise Critic, and the Members Review area is on the Main Home page when you first log on to "THIS" site.There are dozens of reviews that members post there and not on a thread. If you have never looked here is the direct link to the ones on PO/America.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=349

As a first time poster/one-hit wonder/troll/seagull myself, I just had to respond to the name-callers. If this had been a good review, would you have called this person names or discounted their message? Probably not, if you liked what they said. I applaud your loyalty to defend NCL at all costs, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. This person will probably not reply, because they have been insulted and don't want to get involved in a debate when you have already made up your mind. I would guess that if you talked to Customer Service of any major corporation, they will tell you that they get more complaint letters than compliment letters. Not because they are bad, but because people are more motivated to take the time to complain than they are to take the time to compliment.

I have been reading (lurking) on these boards for months in anticipation of my own Pride of America cruise on 8/13. I have not posted any questions because I don't have any that I haven't found answered somewhere on the boards already. I haven't answered anybody's questions because I don't have any answers that someone else doesn't answer first. I may or may not post a review when I get back. I am more likely to post one if I have a bad experience than if I have a good one. I have never posted reviews on cruises before, because the ships I have been on before (15 cruises) have already been reviewed numerous times and I had nothing new to add. That being said, I might be more likely to post a first time ever review of this ship only because it is new and I know there are many silent people out there like me who are looking for any information, good or bad, about their upcoming cruise.

Whew! For a quiet person like me, you really got me to say a lot!

Archived