2nd Time Crystal-what has changed?

texanaust

Vince,have a piece of chocolate each day. But have dark chocolate. It tastes good and it is good for you too. :D

Happy Holidays.

Keith

I doubt that Vince would take the dark chocolate over the peppermint crunch Andes!!! :)

Yes, dark chocolate is healthier and tastes good to those that like it. It's sell about moderation or whatever makes you happy!!!

Nancy

As someone who's still fairly new to Crystal (ex-Silversea), I try to separate what might be relatively small cutbacks from real 'quality of life' issues.

For example, if we really wanted bedtime chocolates (after dinner and a visit to the Bistro..), I guess we might have ordered a box from the ship or brought them with us. On the other hand, if we found (and we did not!) poor service, second-rate food, or tired furniture, that would weigh pretty heavily.

Since we've already committed to paying the high price of luxury cruising, we're prepared to accept some small cutbacks or charges that represent a small fraction of the cost. I do realize that not everyone looks at it in the same way. But for us, the heart of the matter is Crystal's ongoing commitment to keep the ships in top condition, beautifully staffed, with quality food, interesting enrichment programs and excursions, and a pleasant group of passengers.

Edited by Seafairer

As someone who's still fairly new to Crystal (ex-Silversea), I try to separate what might be relatively small cutbacks from real 'quality of life' issues.

For example, if we really wanted bedtime chocolates (after dinner and a visit to the Bistro..), I guess we might have ordered a box from the ship or brought them with us. On the other hand, if we found (and we did not!) poor service, second-rate food, or tired furniture, that would weigh pretty heavily.

Since we've already committed to paying the high price of luxury cruising, we're prepared to accept some small cutbacks or charges that represent a small fraction of the cost. I do realize that not everyone looks at it in the same way. But for us, the heart of the matter is Crystal's ongoing commitment to keep the ships in top condition, beautifully staffed, with quality food, interesting enrichment programs and excursions, and a pleasant group of passengers.

As usual, very thoughtful and very well said.

Keith

Seafairer -- That's my feeling too. Some service delivery aspects do change over time, but at least for the things I value, the same core values are still there.

Nancy and Keith -- I'm going to try and weave that into my New Years resolution... Somehow trying to make my vices a little less toxic. Like switching some of my alcohol consumption to red wine, and some of my chocolate consumption to dark. White and milk chocolates just do a better job of satisfying my sweet tooth, that's the only problem.

This is where AI comes in handy -- I can try a lot more red wines on my next cruise and probably find some I like. (I have cheap tastes on wine, so I've been happy with this for my needs. I am thankful they have Hendrinks on the spirits list though.)

Vince

Nancy, well you never know.

That dark chocolate can be very good.

I am thinking Godiva Dark Chocolate.

Maybe some of that with a french fry.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

I'm well aware that dark chocolate on moderation is very good for people and Godiva makes all kinds of great chocolate!!!

You can stick to the fry and chocolate combo. My personal favorite are mild chocolate covered pretzels and I had one last night for dessert!!

Happy holidays.

Nancy

Seafairer -- That's my feeling too. Some service delivery aspects do change over time, but at least for the things I value, the same core values are still there.

Nancy and Keith -- I'm going to try and weave that into my New Years resolution... Somehow trying to make my vices a little less toxic. Like switching some of my alcohol consumption to red wine, and some of my chocolate consumption to dark. White and milk chocolates just do a better job of satisfying my sweet tooth, that's the only problem.

This is where AI comes in handy -- I can try a lot more red wines on my next cruise and probably find some I like. (I have cheap tastes on wine, so I've been happy with this for my needs. I am thankful they have Hendrinks on the spirits list though.)

Vince

Vince as long as you are happy with your choices that is what counts the most.

Vince, your comment about AI reminder me one of the aspects of AI I enjoy. I found that with AI that I ended up having having a wider range of wines than I did before AI and I really enjoyed it. I think I realized that I used to get into a rut by often having very similar wines.

What I really did much more with AI was just let the Sommelier recommend what they thought would make a nice match with what Anne Marie and I ordered. I think they really appreciate our trust in their selection and we really enjoyed many of their recommendations. And should something they selected not work for either one of us, they were more than happy to find something else that did.

Keith

+1, Linda!!!

Nancy

About the turn down chocolates -- there are enough chocolates in the box of See's that I find in my stateroom every cruise. Or am I the only one who gets them? ;)

Crystal Society Provides a box once you hit a threshold of completed cruises. I used to remember the number that you need to hit. I want to say 15 but if I am wrong someone will correct me. :cool:

Keith

Crystal Society Provides a box once you hit a threshold of completed cruises. I used to remember the number that you need to hit. I want to say 15 but if I am wrong someone will correct me. :cool:

Keith

My next cruise is #15....I'll let you know! :) On my one time in the PH, I didn't know that the candy in the box at embarkation would be replaced as it was eaten and I waited and took the box home with me. :D

Patty

My next cruise is #15....I'll let you know! :) On my one time in the PH, I didn't know that the candy in the box at embarkation would be replaced as it was eaten and I waited and took the box home with me. :D

Patty

Same here for me in my next cruise!

The chocolates in the penthouse are not Sees but are really good and endless!!

Nancy

Well, I am really ticked off about the Caviar. Dan does not eat it but I do. Will they charge me if I order it in PS suite before dinner? For what we all pay to cruise this is absurd.

To add this is not Beluga or Sevurga caviar.

Edited by Suite Travels

Well, I am really ticked off about the Caviar. Dan does not eat it but I do. Will they charge me if I order it in PS suite before dinner? For what we all pay to cruise this is absurd.

To add this is not Beluga or Sevurga caviar.

Miles, I can understand where expectations for a penthouse might be different, but for the little I pay for the cheap seats I didn't mind when they changed this. I can take or leave caviar, and for what I pay I think offering it a few times per cruise is a great value -- one I would not rather pay more in my base fare to have more frequently. Obviously if I was paying $10,000+ per passenger for a penthouse my expectations would be different though, and I know others feel the same way about the alcohol that I do value being included, so this is just my personal perspective on this.

Vince

Try chocolate and potato chips !

Keith,

Have you always had the food discipline you exhibit today? It is truly commendable and I think of you when I am tempted to lose control with bad choices (with success frequently) !

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

HI Joe, thank you for the very kind words.

I do remember when I was in elementary school there would be some children who dipped their potato chips in those little ice cream cups I remember being served at lunch on Friday's after they let the ice cream melt a little bit. :) You can do the same thing with french fries too. :D

I've always been fairly disciplined but as I've gotten older I have become even more disciplined about the types of foods I eat. I am fortunate that many of the foods I enjoy most are also very healthy and are readily available when we cruise with Crystal.

Keith

Like Keith, we eat healthy and we are not vegans. When I was a kid my parents curtailed me on junk food and so did my dentist. Our big downfall is pasta but it is whole wheat which Crystal provides on request. I love Sushi but I have it prepared with brown rice. Dan prepares the best turkey meat balls and loves cooking Kosher chicken after we had it on Crystal.

Trust me we do not go hungry on Cryatal as there are so many options for us. Dover Sole is the best onboard also a special order of Indian food. Making our own salad for lunch in the Lido is fun with so many choices.

Dan has a bit of a sweet tooth but he has changed out the cookies to frozen yogurt and I love it as well.

Whatever your dining choices are they will be excellent.

Like Keith, we eat healthy and we are not vegans. When I was a kid my parents curtailed me on junk food and so did my dentist. Our big downfall is pasta but it is whole wheat which Crystal provides on request. I love Sushi but I have it prepared with brown rice. Dan prepares the best turkey meat balls and loves cooking Kosher chicken after we had it on Crystal.

Trust me we do not go hungry on Cryatal as there are so many options for us. Dover Sole is the best onboard also a special order of Indian food. Making our own salad for lunch in the Lido is fun with so many choices.

Dan has a bit of a sweet tooth but he has changed out the cookies to frozen yogurt and I love it as well.

Whatever your dining choices are they will be excellent.

Thanks for posting that there are healthy carbs available on request. It is good to know. We enjoy brown or wild rice and whole wheat pasta also.

What! No free Caviar, no free second visit at specialty restaurants, no free shutle buses on all ports, no chocolates on the pillow? :( Well I think I will not read these boards anymore. We are kind of getting dissappointed before we do our cruises. Actually we were very much looking for he Crystal experience but after reading about changes, about things that used to be included and now they are not, etc we kind of ask ourselves what would be the value added from Crystal to other lines for example Celebrity.

Rule #1: Some people just don't like change, period! Rule #2: Those who don't like something are far more vocal than those who do. Crystal is not Celebrity, although of the mass market lines I always liked Celebrity best. Crystal exceeds all other lines in entertainment, enrichment, cuisine, service. Can't think of anything others do better except maybe the very firm (for my taste) beds. That said I still sleep better at sea than at home. The differences are hard to quantify but IMHO Crystal is true luxury; the others, wanna be's. I think many of these changes we lament can be attributed to greedy travelers. I once saw a couple abandon a caviar service they had presumably ordered by the pool almost untouched. At the current cost of caviar I can imagine it would only take 1 or 2 of those to inspire the change. Truth is if people don't have to pay for something they rarely value it. I think Crystal's decision re Specialty Restaurants was poorly planned and presented even worse. If it was truly necessary to limit demand, which I still doubt, at least they shouldn't have told me it was "for your convenience." I am sick of people telling me something I don't like is for my convenience or comfort or enjoyment.

Just so you don't start your cruise disappointed, the addition of included drinks has resulted in a much more lively ship, people out and about rather than sitting on their own balcony with their smuggled bottles. The cuisine is the best at sea hands down. The service is truly amazing. In short if you board with an open mind it will be wonderful; if you board looking for short comings, I'm sure you will find some.

Caryll

Rule #1: Some people just don't like change, period! Rule #2: Those who don't like something are far more vocal than those who do. Crystal is not Celebrity, although of the mass market lines I always liked Celebrity best. Crystal exceeds all other lines in entertainment, enrichment, cuisine, service. Can't think of anything others do better except maybe the very firm (for my taste) beds. That said I still sleep better at sea than at home. The differences are hard to quantify but IMHO Crystal is true luxury; the others, wanna be's. I think many of these changes we lament can be attributed to greedy travelers. I once saw a couple abandon a caviar service they had presumably ordered by the pool almost untouched. At the current cost of caviar I can imagine it would only take 1 or 2 of those to inspire the change. Truth is if people don't have to pay for something they rarely value it. I think Crystal's decision re Specialty Restaurants was poorly planned and presented even worse. If it was truly necessary to limit demand, which I still doubt, at least they shouldn't have told me it was "for your convenience." I am sick of people telling me something I don't like is for my convenience or comfort or enjoyment.

Just so you don't start your cruise disappointed, the addition of included drinks has resulted in a much more lively ship, people out and about rather than sitting on their own balcony with their smuggled bottles. The cuisine is the best at sea hands down. The service is truly amazing. In short if you board with an open mind it will be wonderful; if you board looking for short comings, I'm sure you will find some.

Caryll

I agree with your remark about the specialty restaurants. We always board a ship with an open mind and not looking for short comings. We have cruised with many cruiselines including Celebrity, Orient Express, Oceania, Azamara and Silversea. We expect more from a cruise line such as Silversea than what we do from Celebrity. There is also no comparison in terms of prices.

Crystal cruises is somehow in between for us. Crystal advertises luxury and has a very good reputation despite having quite a large number of passengers on board (around 900 hundred at the Symphony and more on the Serenity).

In all the cruise lines we have cruised, we have experienced outstanding service. Food and entertainment is something somehow subjective. We are very much looking forward to our cruises with Crystal. We like to be informed before our cruise and many passengers provide good information on the Cruise Critic boards, which help us to be prepared about several things.

We have not had a feeling on previous cruises independently of the cruiseline that fellow passengers were "sitting on their balconies drinking their smuggled bottles". In any case we are happy to mingle with fellow cruisers at our next Crystal Cruises and are glad that passengers seem to be open minded also.