Crystal Symphony - help with suite selection

baytraller

We are about to book our first Crystal cruise on the Symphony . Could anyone help with advice on the various suite options , with respect to noise and vibration . We have cruised with other cruise lines and follow the basic rules of avoiding suites near lifts and public areas , that midships is more stable . We have on smaller ships been as far forward as 4 suite from the front , but have always avoided suites aft . On the Crystal web site according to the Symphony deck plan , categories change from June 2014 , our cruise will be after that date .

http://www.crystalcruises.com/DeckPlans.aspx?SID=5&SD=5

Starting with the lowest category

Cat E2 deck 8 – midships with extremely limited view

Cat E1 deck 7/8 – midships with limited view

On the deck plan Promenade deck 7, seems that all suites have an area between the suite window and the side of the ship , is this a public area were passengers are able to walk.

Cat D deck 5 - these suite may suffer from passenger noise , near reception and dinning room

Cat C2 – deck 7 – forward suites

Cat C1 deck 7/8 – deck 7 mainly aft is there any vibration

Cat B2 deck 8 - verandah forward

Cat B1 deck 8 – verandah midships and aft

All advice welcomed

peter and Trish

I have stayed in all the categories as they are currently categorized with the exception of the D cabins on deck 5. All of these cabins are the same size and have the same amenities except for the B cabins which have a balcony. I prefer to be as mid ship as possible on deck 7 or 8. I have stayed in cabins adjacent to the mid ship elevators several times and did not hear any noise. If you have problems or issues with rough seas, you should not book a far forward cabin. The aft cabins have way less motion than the forward cabins.

E2 cabins will have a lifeboat in front if the window so they are fairly obstructed. If you want the best value and can deal with a slight obstruction, E1 cabins on deck 7 are a great choice...my opinion. I use to stay in the new to be C1 cabins on deck 8 such as 8076 before they were reclassified as they were previously E cabins.

The outside on deck 7 is a 360 degree teak deck that is used by passengers and it's wonderful for walking, jogging...enjoying the scenery...etc.

I'm not aware of any real aft vibrations but others might chime in.

Good luck with your decision.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Peter and Trish, I wanted to also say that I have found on both the Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity that staying by the lifts is as quiet as any location on the ship and has the added benefit of being conveniently located near the lifts and stairway. I would not hesitate to book a room near one of them. I also wanted to note before we stayed in such a location we had concerns but they were quickly put to rest when we experienced it for the very first time.

For us, we book mid-ship near the lifts/stairway when possible.

You likely know this but you will find that you will feel the seas much more if you are all the way forward. Yes, the higher the deck also adds to this. If you are very far back on the ship you will feel the motion a good deal less than being all the way forward but more so then say being mid-ship.

I would not be concerned about noise being all the way to the back of the ship.

Good luck with this.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

It may just be semantics but there are cabins and suites. Lower decks have cabins with same Sq footage. Upper decks (10 up) have suites with more Sq footage. OP just talked about suites.

I think this is a case of Semantics because the categories that the Original Poster listed were staterooms. Many interchange the two words. :)

Keith

Thank you for the advice . Have sailed a number of times on Seabourn where

most people use the term suite . The layout of the staterooms on Crystal are almost identical to Seabourn suites . Must say not all that surprises by the fact that there is little or no noise around the lift/stairs area , will post again for advise about entertainment before dinner and the way to book for dinner . the main reason we are booking with Crystal is the on-board entertainment , we both like to have a quiet hour and listen to music and may be have a couple of dances , but we not ballroom standard .

Thank you for the advice . Have sailed a number of times on Seabourn where

most people use the term suite . The layout of the staterooms on Crystal are almost identical to Seabourn suites . Must say not all that surprises by the fact that there is little or no noise around the lift/stairs area , will post again for advise about entertainment before dinner and the way to book for dinner . the main reason we are booking with Crystal is the on-board entertainment , we both like to have a quiet hour and listen to music and may be have a couple of dances , but we not ballroom standard .

You might find this thread that I wrote for first time Crystal Cruisers to be helpful as you make other decisions including dining.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584517&page=5

Keith

Peter and Trish, I wanted to also say that I have found on both the Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity that staying by the lifts is as quiet as any location on the ship and has the added benefit of being conveniently located near the lifts and stairway. I would not hesitate to book a room near one of them. I also wanted to note before we stayed in such a location we had concerns but they were quickly put to rest when we experienced it for the very first time.

For us, we book mid-ship near the lifts/stairway when possible.

You likely know this but you will find that you will feel the seas much more if you are all the way forward. Yes, the higher the deck also adds to this. If you are very far back on the ship you will feel the motion a good deal less than being all the way forward but more so then say being mid-ship.

I would not be concerned about noise being all the way to the back of the ship.

Good luck with this.

Keith

My wife and I try to book a cabin as far forward and high up as possible. On our first cruise years back on the Norwegian Dream in such a location the seas were so high that we levitated a foot or so up from the bed several times one night. Great fun.

Echoing Nancygp E1's midships on 7 are great if you can get one. I also have stayed on 5 when that was all that was available for an adjoining family cabin we needed. There was no noise whatsoever from the Cove area. I heard the first extraneous noise ever on a Crystal cruise last week in the laundry room on the Serenity. They were rehearsing downstairs in the Galaxie. Interestingly I went out into both hallways and couldn't hear a thing so I guess there is sound insulation in those areas. Says something about how nice and quiet the laundries are though.

We have considered E1 stateroom, however all E1 is guarantee only , while with C2 and C1 you can choice your stateroom . Most E1 staterooms on the Promenade deck are above the Starlite Club, and not sure during the night whether we will be able to music from below .