Shuttles Provided by Azamara

SunnyNy

I just called Azamara to ask which ports would have shuttle service on my October 2 Mediterranean cruise on Quest. I was told I cannot get that information until I am onboard. However, I was given similar information for my cruise last year well in advance. I still have the notes.

This would be helpful in deciding which, if any, tours I want to take at specific ports, which I must decide by Jan 3 (for the 25% discount). So, did I get a misinformed rep, or is this the way it is?

I did post this on my roll call, but thought I would try here as well.

I just called Azamara to ask which ports would have shuttle service on my October 2 Mediterranean cruise on Quest. I was told I cannot get that information until I am onboard. However, I was given similar information for my cruise last year well in advance. I still have the notes.

This would be helpful in deciding which, if any, tours I want to take at specific ports, which I must decide by Jan 3 (for the 25% discount). So, did I get a misinformed rep, or is this the way it is?

I did post this on my roll call, but thought I would try here as well.

Which ports will you be visiting? Collective experience on this board should be able to help.

I'm struggling in particular with Split, Dubrovnik and Kotor. I have found some interesting local tours online, but their schedules don't work with our port times. I am inclined to do Split on my own, with a Rick Steves book in hand!

I will likely book a ship tour for Dubrovnik and Kotor, but would appreciate advice on which sites you'd recommend for a first and possibly only visit to these areas to help me choose the best one.

Sharon

I'm planning our shore excursions for a similar cruise, although we only duplicate Dubrovnik on your list.

The Rick Steves chapter on Dubrovnik seems quite adequate for a DIY, which is what we're planning to do. Start with the Town Wall before it gets too hot, then take the cable car and have lunch at the top, then spend the rest of the time doing the Old Town walk and shopping.

I'm struggling in particular with Split, Dubrovnik and Kotor. I have found some interesting local tours online, but their schedules don't work with our port times. I am inclined to do Split on my own, with a Rick Steves book in hand!

I will likely book a ship tour for Dubrovnik and Kotor, but would appreciate advice on which sites you'd recommend for a first and possibly only visit to these areas to help me choose the best one.

Sharon

I just got off the Azamara Quest -- while onboard, I talked with the Future Cruise Consultant regarding the ''free shuttles'' offered by Azamara in the Med. ports. I was told that the free shuttles are not offered in ports where Azamara has a berth near the town or near public transportation. ( I specifically asked about the Livorno port (Florence). I was told that the ship docks close to the road in Livorno, and therefore, Azamara does not provide a shuttle. If someone wanted to go to Livorno's train station, they would need to take a taxi, at their own expense. And, if I wanted to go to Florence, I would need to buy an excursion, hire a taxi, or take the train, all at my own expense.)

For Split, Dubrovnik, and Kotor --I visited these ports in 2012 by cruise ship. These towns are easy to see ''on your own'' -- they are very ''walkable towns''. In Dubrovnik, the cruise terminal is next to a bus stop and has many taxis available. You can take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Old Town, for 10 euro one way. ( Taxi can hold 4 people for one price.) Then, just pay your admission to the Old Town, and use Rick Steves suggestions for sites to see in Dubrovnik's Old Town.

In Split, the cruise passengers disembark in the old, historic area along the waterfront --- just walk across the street, and you will be in the heart of old Split. Rick Steve's guidebook on Split is very helpful.

In Kotor, the ship docks right in Kotor's marina filled with yachts -- just walk off the ship, and through the entrance to the walled town . You can easily wander all around Kotor in several hours.

( Tip -- be outside on deck in the morning, as the ship begins to go from the Adriatic into the bay, headed for Kotor. The scenery / fjords are spectacular, and change in the morning light!)

Here is a great guide for DIY cruisers in Dubrovnik. Toms port guides are well researched and the time tables are accurate. It's a free and invaluable resource for independent travellers.

By the way, I don't know what charge the previous poster was referring to but entry to Dubrovnik Old Town is free. Perhaps they mean the small charge for walking the walls?

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Dubrovnik-01-31-2012.pdf