Comparing Med/Greek Cruises on HAL Eurodam vs. NCL Jade

jkgourmet

We've sailed HAL many times very happily, but not in about 6-7 years. We sailed NCL once and it was a disappointing cruise. In retrospect, I think our problems were due to the time of year (many kids), embarkation/deparkation port (Galveston - mostly locals on the cruise) and the cost of the cruise itself (dirt cheap). Given the great itineraries offered by NCL for Med/Greek cruises, we are willing to give them another go.

One of the things that really bugs on cruises is constantly being nickle and dimed. This is something we hear a lot of complaints about on NCL. OTOH, we would prefer not to dress up much on this longer cruise, which is kinda required on HAL. And the Signature Alcohol package on HAL is awful, while NCL's is quite attractive (and we would prefer to have a package.)

We do inside guarantee cabins, and spend most of our time in the bar or poolside. We aren't spa people, and we go to about half the shows. We enjoy the MDR because we typically have enjoyed meeting new people when we cruise. We would like a pool/hot tub area that is covered when it's cool out (as it's likely to be in March/April). We are 57 and 70.

Can anyone compare and contrast the two cruiselines and two ships for us?

I have only sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam and had a great experience: food, service, cleanliness was excellent.

Sailed on NCL Jewel and Sky: both disappointing service and horrible food.

So, why was the Signature Beverage package so bad for you? We have it on an upcoming Med cruise on the NA.

The HAL signature package only includes 3 wines. The house chardonnay, cabernet and merlot, which regularly cost $5.50 per glass. No other wines are included. That would get pretty boring within just a few days.

Likewise, many of the drinks we would order are priced just a bit higher than the package limit. Even a vodka martini

To be fair, HAL's basic drink prices are a bit less than some other cruise lines, making the package value less significant. (for example, house wine on HAL $5.50 per glass, Celebrity $6.00-$7. 00 per glass. However, the celebrity house wine was considerably better than the Santa Carolina that HAL currently serves.)

Edited by jkgourmet

Thank you JK.

Since the package is included I guess I can't complain too much but I agree with you - the house wine election seem to be sort of weak.

As for comparing NCL and Holland America for me there's no choice: Holland America is clearly the better selection?

Thank you JK.

Since the package is included I guess I can't complain too much but I agree with you - the house wine election seem to be sort of weak.

As for comparing NCL and Holland America for me there's no choice: Holland America is clearly the better selection?

I don't think one is "better" than the other. They are different products, and each appeal to different people. Probably both appeal to most people.

I will state, unequivocally, the NCL and Celebrity basic alcohol packages are FAR BETTER than HAL's.

Most Mediterranean itineraries are very port intensive, and the ship becomes less important than on a Caribbean itinerary, for example. You won't spend a lot of time at bar and poolside unless you plan on skipping ports. So I'd focus more on the itinerary than the ship, unless there is something about either line that you really don't like.

HAL is on the more formal end of the spectrum and NCL is at the opposite end. Other than that I can't do much comparison based on experience. I took one NCL cruise years ago, and extremely poor service/attitude convinced me not to consider them again.

I really do not think you can compare the two lines. NCL is total freestyle with a very relaxed dress code. The ships are bigger with lots of people on them and the decor is modern/colorful. HAL has a far more traditional product with formal nights and fixed dinner etc. Pick the ports you want and the price point you want and go on the one that fits. I feel the freestyle works best in a very port intensive trip as you do not miss things coming back late.

We have cruised both ships. Did the Eurodam in the Carribbean and the Jade on an eastern Mediterranean cruise last year. We have done the Mediterranean many times (on HAL, Cunard, Celebrity, Princess, and Crystal prior). We have family and friends in this area so go regularly, booked again on Celebrity Silhouette for 2014. We are also booked in 2014 on HAL New Amsterdam for the TA to Barcelona.

Ref your questions - the two lines are totally different. HAL is a traditional cruise experience. NCL is not. When we went on the Jade we had not been on NCL in 10 years.

You book an inside, we booked a mini on NCL, the cabin was the best part of our cruise experience on board. The mini suite was well layout, great storage, a pleasant place to be for 11 days.

MDR on NCL was a bust for us, we tried it the first day for lunch and dinner. That was it. The quality of food and service was disappointing. We found if we asked for something we had to ask at least 3 times, each time staff would say yes and then disappear. Our MDR experience did not motivate us to try any of the speciality restrauants on board, so can't comment on them. Regardless, we went on this cruise not expecting a lot, so we did not let this get the best of us. After the first day, we hit the buffet for a late lunch, kind of like shopping for a picnic, we prepared a plate and took it back to our cabin and enjoyed lunch on our balcony. We bought a bucket of beers and enjoyed a beer with lunch. We ordered room service for breakfast, i.e., coffee, crossiants and picked up two orders of eggs over easy from the buffet each morning. So we basically did breakfast and lunch in our cabin daily. We like the peace and quiet of these meals in our cabin.

We are 67 and 81, so we enjoy a late afternoon nap, especially on a Mediterranean cruise with a big time difference from our home. We typically have lunch, then a nap, then get up a dress and go enjoy the entertainment. We know NCL is less formal, so we packed mostly smart casual and in some cases we felt over dressed but really does not matter on NCL because one sees everything under the sun.

Price is the biggest different... our Jade trip was about $1000 cheaper pp then we would have paid on other lines. So we felt you get what you pay for and we knew that when we booked the Jade. Saying that, we would book another cruise on the Jade or a sister ship, realizing what to expect going in if the cruise was an itinerary of interest.

Hope these comments help. Enjoy your Mediterranean cruise... ports are wonderful.

Have cruised both lines, and always in inside cabins. There is no comparison in size of the cabins. NCL was so tiny we could hardly move. HAL has some good sized insides and we usually can book one of those.

As to formality, HAL isn't as formal as it used to be. Unless you really want to go to the main dining room in sweats or jeans at dinner, you don't have to be "dressed up". I don't even pack heals or dresses for formal nights. Slacks, flats, and a glitzy top work just fine.

We have also enjoyed the food and service on HAL much more than our NCL cruises.

Of course, what pleases one person does not please the other. Just be sure that you've researched current trends on both lines before making your choice.

And I strongly agree with other posters, itinerary is important. That's the only reason we've chosen NCL in the past. Good luck in making your decision.

We've sailed HAL many times very happily, but not in about 6-7 years. We sailed NCL once and it was a disappointing cruise. In retrospect, I think our problems were due to the time of year (many kids), embarkation/deparkation port (Galveston - mostly locals on the cruise) and the cost of the cruise itself (dirt cheap). Given the great itineraries offered by NCL for Med/Greek cruises, we are willing to give them another go.

One of the things that really bugs on cruises is constantly being nickle and dimed. This is something we hear a lot of complaints about on NCL. OTOH, we would prefer not to dress up much on this longer cruise, which is kinda required on HAL. And the Signature Alcohol package on HAL is awful, while NCL's is quite attractive (and we would prefer to have a package.)

We do inside guarantee cabins, and spend most of our time in the bar or poolside. We aren't spa people, and we go to about half the shows. We enjoy the MDR because we typically have enjoyed meeting new people when we cruise. We would like a pool/hot tub area that is covered when it's cool out (as it's likely to be in March/April). We are 57 and 70.

Can anyone compare and contrast the two cruiselines and two ships for us?

The Eurodam offers everything that the Jade has (including so-called freestyle) and much more.

Different culture of cruising, different product quality.

Decent food (lunch, dinner) on NCL is only available in surcharge restaurants. Plan about $ 120 pp to add to the price of 7 days cruise.

Ports are subjective.

The Eurodam offers everything that the Jade has (including so-called freestyle) and much more.

Different culture of cruising, different product quality.

Decent food (lunch, dinner) on NCL is only available in surcharge restaurants. Plan about $ 120 pp to add to the price of 7 days cruise.

Ports are subjective.

This is a matter of taste. We're going on the Jade for the fourth time in April and never have felt a compulsion to go to specialty restaurants. The Jade is a very well managed ship. It's regular cruise director, Gary Glading, is worth the trip alone. He is way over qualified,having been the trainer for all of Costa's CDs at one time. I would agree that, overall, HAL food is better. As others have said, this is a port intensive cruise. Choose for the ports and the cost. Not sure what the "nickle and diming" is about. You don't have to use the specialty restaurants. We only go when we use the complimentary coupons you get after 75 days in Latitudes.

We have sailed on NCL twice, both times based on timing and the itinerary. We were on the Jade for a Canary Islands cruise out of Barcelona for our first NCL cruise. The ship is fine, and the service was very good. However, we were disappointed in the quality of the food in the MDR. On our second NCL cruise, to the Baltic on the Star, we decided on a suite. It was a great experience, and if we ever sail on NCL again, it will definitely be in a suite. On the Baltic cruise, we frequented the specialty restaurants more. Le Bistro is especially good. For the lower fares that you can often get on NCL, you can compensate by dining at the wide variety of specialty restaurants every night, and still come out ahead.

Timing and itinerary guide our cruise choices more than line loyalty, but we are back to HAL in April for very interesting Panama Canal itinerary.