Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraS

Calling all COFFEE LOVERS!

Princess Horizon Court coffee made from the liquid concentrate is possibly the most vile concoction on the face of the planet. If you can tolerate Starbucks, you can probably tolerate the HC stuff. The coffee served in the dining room and occasionally room service coffee is palatable. Why take chances? I take my own coffee maker. It would be nice to have one in each cabin.

I too can tolerate the Princess coffee, small price to pay for a week at sea! I would rather have a better tasting cup of coffee to wake up to, but the idea of lugging a coffee maker sounds awful to me. I'd rather lug a couple of bottles of wine.

Dh and I both give a big thumbs down to the coffee. In Feb on the Star our table mates couldn't believe how bad the coffee was too.

Coming from the Northwest we are pretty spoiled here. We have some of the best coffee in the world IMHO. I could never drink a coffee syrup so I don't even try. I am bringing on my french press and some good expresso. I must start my day off with a great cup of coffee......Princess has the worst coffee if you are a real coffee lover.

CMG

The majority still seems to be "Princess coffee is OK" - this defies all previous threads on this issue - This thread is "official" as it was started by Laura.

Ron

Accidently drank some dishwater when I got back from my last princess cruise and it reminded me of their coffee. I like the coffee in the main dining room on both HAL and Celebrity, RCCL has their Seattles Best but it varies around the ship.

it really doesn't seem to matter what the coffee tastes like if it's mixed with Bailey's, Amaretto, Kahlua, Frangelico, etc. Princess does a fine job with these coffee "beverages." Good 'til the last drop!

Chris

This is basically the only way I will drink the coffee on board. Otherwise, I bring my own French press mug, fresh whole beans, and mini hand coffee grinder so that I can have my morning fix. In the past, I have walked over to horizon court for the hot water, but I am thinking about bringing a portable beverage heater along next time we cruise with Princess. We are actually cruising with RCI next, and it will be interesting to see how they do...I hear that the coffee in the concierge lounge is good, but would love to hear from another obsessive coffee snob before we cruise!;)

The only cruise line we have sailed on that had half way decent coffee and iced tea was HAL (and it wasn't great, but almost drinkable). Princess, Carnival, and RCI have some of the worst we have ever tasted. Especially Princess, it is just what we consider 'nasty'.

Never travel without my small travel coffee maker......................never!

I give a thumbs up to Princess dining room coffee, and I feel that the HC coffee is acceptable to me as well. Just MHO. :)

I find the buffet coffee ok. Not as good as my favorite (Dunkin' Donuts) but ok. The coffee in the lobby bar is very good as well as the dining room coffee. Also count me as one who can't stand Starbucks. I'd take a cup of Princess buffet coffee over a cup of Starbucks any day! :)

Anyone who thinks Princess coffee is good, doesn't know good coffee. If you put milk or any kind of moo product in your coffee, you don't know coffee. If you put any kind of sweetener in your coffee, you don't know coffee.

Now.........for the REAL coffee drinkers; those who are addicted to coffee au natural - hot and black.

Princess coffee and other cruise line coffee is made more palatable by adding hot water. Immediately. I use my own thermal mug and add 1/3 water to 2/3 coffee (when in the buffet area). Try it. There is a tremendous improvement. In the diningroom, which I only go to at dinner, the coffee is never hot enough anyway. I sometimes forgo it altogether or ask them to do the hot water mix too.

Inasmuch as my husband and I are both addicted to caffeine, we travel with our trusty little Melitta one cup brewer, along with regular blends and/or flavored coffee. Hawaiian hazelnut for one. We'e leaving next week for 46 days aboard the Pacific; clothes aren't packed yet, but coffee/pot is. :)

Arlene

Princess coffee is in the home stretch - poised for the win!!

We drink ours black - maybe it is when you pit cream in it it turns it to swill??

Ron

:eek: That's how I feel about Princess coffee. We just returned from 10 days aboard the Golden and to my greatest regret, I chose not to bring my own 1-cup brewer as had been suggested on previous threads.

I barely survived on 'freshly brewed' coffee from the Lobbby Bar (no sugar, no milk). I would rather not drink any hot beverage to substitute my morning cup of coffee!;)

Anyone who thinks Princess coffee is good, doesn't know good coffee. If you put milk or any kind of moo product in your coffee, you don't know coffee. If you put any kind of sweetener in your coffee, you don't know coffee.

Now.........for the REAL coffee drinkers; those who are addicted to coffee au natural - hot and black.

Princess coffee and other cruise line coffee is made more palatable by adding hot water. Immediately. I use my own thermal mug and add 1/3 water to 2/3 coffee (when in the buffet area). Try it. There is a tremendous improvement. In the diningroom, which I only go to at dinner, the coffee is never hot enough anyway. I sometimes forgo it altogether or ask them to do the hot water mix too.

Inasmuch as my husband and I are both addicted to caffeine, we travel with our trusty little Melitta one cup brewer, along with regular blends and/or flavored coffee. Hawaiian hazelnut for one. We'e leaving next week for 46 days aboard the Pacific; clothes aren't packed yet, but coffee/pot is. :)

Arlene

To each his own.

Princess dining room coffee has been decent to good. The "coffee syrup" coffee in the Horizon Court is pretty bad, but it does seem to have the necessary caffeine! The specialty coffees in the dining room and elsewhere (for example, cappuccino) are about average.

Les

If you put milk or any kind of moo product in your coffee, you don't know coffee. If you put any kind of sweetener in your coffee, you don't know coffee.

Arlene

Hello, Arlene.

I call them "baby coffee drinkers." I've been drinking coffee since I was in 8th grade (age 14). I always loved the aroma of coffee perking in our home each morning and couldn't wait for Mom to say that it was alright for me have some. When I "came of age," I discovered that I didn't care for the Pet Milk (canned evaporated milk - slightly sweet) that my parents put in their coffee and started drinking it black very early on. I would sometimes put an ice cube in it if it was too hot to drink immediately.

I find it humorous when my 83-year-old mother asks me, "When did you start taking your coffee black?" Mom now uses half & half instead of Pet Milk, and she enjoys the coffees/teas that I get for her when we travel.

I always enjoy your posts, Arlene.

Chris

The coffee served in the Patisserie on Princess' ships has been quite good, and I think better than the coffee in the Horizon Court (or whatever the lido eating area is called on the particular ship).

Agreed.

I discovered that I didn't care for the Pet Milk (canned evaporated milk - slightly sweet) that my parents put in their coffee

I always enjoy your posts, Arlene.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I can use a fan club every now and then :)

BTW, my parents also used that evaporated milk; not the Pet brand; they used Borden's.

Arlene

The bottom line is, if the coffee is bad to you that is as far as you should go. You can not insist that the coffee should be bad to me when i like the coffee. I am definately a coffee drinker and have tasted many different coffees over the years and i state again for me, I have no Problem with the coffee on Princess. As stated above, to EACH their OWN ! Again just my humble two cents.

It appears as though, at least on this thread, that Princess coffee is OK by an overwhelming majority - can we call it A win for us Princess coffee lovers?

So what if it is syrup - it sure beats that brown paint remover, and expensive, that Starbuck's peddles.

Jeez, I hope my grammar is correct, I think my english teacher is lurking on the boards.

Ron

Jeez, I hope my grammar is correct, I think my english teacher is lurking on the boards.

Ron

Jeez, Ron, could I have been your high school English teacher!?!

Chris

It is so bad on Princess we don't even bother. We just make our own or I should say my DH makes it for us every morning. At home or in our minisuite we brew the best. I do look forward to a few lattes in Italy and maybe a cup or two in Greece off the ship.

I will say that the coffee on Crystal was fabulous and dare I say... better than Starbucks. The interesting thing was their coffee is from a place in Portland. It said on a little card they are proud to serve coffee from "The Coffee Bean" in Portland, Oregon. It makes me proud to be an Oregonian.

We do take our coffee seriously up in the Northwest. Princess has no business even calling it coffee. It is brown nasty water and has nothing to do with real coffee.

Is it too much to ask for decent coffee. If they can get the souffles done right why not coffee. My opinion get Petes, Starbucks or someone who knows about coffee to fix it. It is broken!