Calling all COFFEE LOVERS!

LauraS

We crossed the Pacific on the Regal Princess in Dec. 2003. The coffee (which I heard is made from a syrup and not from beans) was so bad. When we got to Kona we bought a two pot coffee maker in Walmart and of course Kona coffee. If someone wants to make some money, then book a Princess cruise and bring a coffee pot and sell the cups of coffee.

As a Britt, and tea lover, I have to say I was very disappointed by the tea selection on board the Caribbean Princess (Back to back cruise, 2th July 2005 - 6th August 2005). Also, where is the hot water?????

You can't make tea without boiling water and, preferably, a good, Twinings, English Breakfast Tea :-)

Sorry, I do like coffee but tea does it for me!!

Ron, I coulda guessed you don't have a Starbucks nearby----its an acquired taste, like a good whiskey. But once you convert you can never go back to the cheap stuff ;)

Being from near Seattle you can expect me to be a coffee snob and I readily admit it. Princess imo creates a wonderful experience except the coffee SUCKS. Its vapid, gross, icky, disgusting, pick your word. If you can gag enough of it down to get a caffeine fix you are luckier than I am.

I have never tried the pay for it stuff as I am afraid I will get the same yucky syrup plus water only for more money. Some of you say its ok so I might give it a shot.

But you can always bring a french press, or travel on another line...

I have tried the French press coffee in England - Starbuck's - the new improved McDonalds premium blend and they are all terrible - bitter and strong - I could never acquire a taste for such ill prepared brown water. I'll take Princess or my home brewed Folgers anyday!

Ron

What a great idea. I could bring a dozen French presses on my Princess cruise w/ fresh ground coffee(I'll have a grinder in my room) and a choice of Starbucks, Seattle's Best and some Kona and offer this to other cruisers who don't like the syrup and in exchange they can buy me a drink at the bar. I'll save on my bar bills, won't have to bootleg booze and we'll have happy cruisers. Of course, Princess will add Coffee and makers to prohibited items passengerswill be allowed to bring aboard but for at least 1 cruise I can set up my own trading post.

I guess I could slip my service info into the little :cool: holders outside the door. Start on my deck and expand the business.

I can see a parade of happy coffee drinkers marchingin at breakfast and dinner with their potsready to get pitchers of hot water to brew their drinks with the wonderful deserts the ship serves.

My sis, who will be in the cabin next door is bringing the pot for 9/17 Caribbean Princess cruise. I am so glad.

Starbucks is too strong for my taste. In Kansas City, we have Panera's, and I like their coffee. I can drink almost any store brand (Folgers) or specialty brand in which I grind up the beans. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is enjoyable.

But, on almost all cruises, I have found the coffee very unpleasant. If you are a fanatic, I recommend your own small pot.

Just off the Sapphire Princess in Alaska. So glad I brought a 4 cup cuisinart (with metal carafe) coffee maker. First of all, it's great to have a cup before getting dressed. Secondly, I tried the coffee in Horizon court once and that was enough. It's not coffee, it's coffee flavored water, otherwise known as SWILL! YUCK! I picked up a pound of Seattle's Best (was independent but now owned by Starbucks, although a milder blend--we though "Portside" was an appropriate blend) before boarding ship. The coffee at the bars and the Internet cafe and in the dining rooms was ok; just avoid the Horizon court sewage!

The coffee on Princess is horrible because it isn't real coffee. "Coffee flavored liquid" mixed with hot water does not equal coffee, that is just a fact. How can you expect it to have great flavor? I am not a Starbucks fan either or a coffee snob but I like decent coffee and the coffee on Princess doesn't even come close to being decent. It was a tad bit better in the dining room but not much.

We just got off the Diamond Princess. My husband can drink coffee 24 hours a day and he thought the coffee was good. He had several cups a day in both the dining rooms and the Horizon. Maybe he just has an iron stomach.

The coffee on the Brilliance of the Seas (Rccl) was fine, not really strong but heck your on vacation. Husband and I were there in Feb./05 and if i don't have to make and bake I love it. I would never start bringing a coffee pot and brew my own but thats me, i like getting spoiled on a vacation and it seems everything taste better anyway, or I just don't really notice it "cause I am having so much fun"

Vanessa & Rick

Brilliance Feb.14/05 Rccl

Victory Dec.04/05 Carnival

Valor Dec.11/05 Carnival

Star Dec.18/05 Princess

The coffee served on Princess is a liquid base that comes in a gallon jug. It's a concentrate that is poured in and then thinned with water through a water metering system in the coffee makers.

If you take a galley tour, I'm sure you will see it stacked throughout the kitchen areas.

Ok folks...now you have me concerned....love my coffee....especially iced coffee.....first time cruising on Princess....(Caribbean Princess 10/29/05) I suppose they don't even have iced coffee...I make at least 4 trips to Dunkin Donuts a day.....I drink iced coffee even in the midst of winter and I'm from New England!!

I enjoy a full bodied dark coffee so I will report back what I find on the Sun. Coffee drinkers all have their own opinions as we all drink it differently, so it is really difficult to say : Princess coffee is good, bad, icky, the best etc!

From what I remember, I personally find it too weak for my tastes.

I have sailed on three separate Princess ships and found the coffee to be universally terrible!!! The expresso drinks are OK and if you order a cup of coffee at the bar it is OK. I have learned to bring my own coffee pot on Princess.

The coffee on Oceania and Holland America were both fine. Sure wish Princess could do something (anything) to bring up the standard of their coffee. It is just awful to get up early to see a sunset and grab a cup of that awful weak dark water to start the day.

never have done this before but DH and I are taking a small coffee maker and ground coffee with us. Then we will leave the machine when we disembark. Only doing this because we have the space and am not flying to meet the ship. This may be the first & only time we do this! :)

3_4_3.gif The coffee I enjoyed most was the cappuchino which was served after dinner on Princess and was FREE!!! After Carnival took over Princess - hey ho wot you think? Yea - you have to pay!! Meanies, Carnival!!!!

We changed to Celebrity last year and have had a wonderful time with them - lots of ships tours, invitations to Captains Table each cruise and great service!!! And lemonade! No free cappucino!! Except at Captains Table!! 1030.gif

But we are now going back to Princess - have fond memories of four weeks on gorgeous Golden - but feel my toy has been taken from me - free cappuchino after dinner!!! We do like the Princess itineraries and can't go holding a grudge forever over a cup of coffee.

I like Twinings Green Jasmine tea - hope they have that on board!!! The coffee is just about OK if mixed with water.

Anyone else like the Pret-a-Manger cappucino?? Engerlanders, of course!!

Just off the CB on Saturday. The coffee in the Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe (on Lido) was truly awful. However, the coffee from room service and at dinner was just fine! We took our own coffee maker and did enjoy having it in our room since we had the balcony. It was not a necessity though for you coffee drinkers out there. You can order it from room service anytime.

Archived