Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraS

Calling all COFFEE LOVERS!

We had a great time on our Dawn cruise to Alaska. We both agree, the best things we brought were our own coffee pot and power strip. I can drink just about anything, and will. But to have that nice fresh,hot coffee in the am is priceless. I tried room service and dining room coffee....reminds me of stuff I drink about 3am when I am at the hospital. Being a nurse, at that time of the night anything works. But in the morning on vacation, fresh brewed coffee rocks.

So. so true, midwife. The coffee on Princess is not satisfactory. What kind of a coffee pot did you carry? I must get one for myself.

Thanks a bunch.

Treesa

Hi fellow coffee lovers (that stuff on Princess is not coffee). I have a small travel coffee pot that only brews two cups at a time, but that works. I got it at a local travel store, but a google search should find one for you.

Nancy

We also have a two-mug travel coffee maker but I prefer espresso-type drinks. I have a Nespresso pod-style machine that is fantastic but I don't think a lightweight version exists. How are the lattes, etc. at the La Patesserie (sp?)?

I noticed last week on RCCL that they had "Seattle's Best Coffee" on board, I have loved the new JAVA centers on Holland America and my favorite coffee and teas are on Crystal and Seabourn Cruises. :p

How are the lattes, etc. at the La Patesserie (sp?)?

They're of about the same quality that you'll get at an average chain coffee place like Caribou or Starbucks. Sometimes not as good and sometime a bit better. They will not ever be comparable to what you can get at a quality driven independent coffee house.

There are so many factors that go into making good espresso and properly steaming milk. If you luck out and get a bartender / counterperson at La Patisserie who has done some homework and works at making a good drink you'll get a passable one.

We are just back from Alaska on the Dawn. The coffee was pretty bad. The best thing we did was buy a percolator (yes I said percolator) at a thrift shop. It was so nice having the fresh coffee in the morning. I haven't used a perc in years. I forgot how quickly coffee brews. We were going to leave it there, but enjoyed the perked coffee so much, we brought it home.

we are using our own coffee maker; we are drinking the coffee here--to describe it--like instant coffee taste.

we brought a 5 cup maker & will leave it here.

off topic: the over the door hanger--there is only a double hook on the bathroom door and our robes are on it; so we are hanging our small hangar off this hook in the regular cabin. It does come in handy but is it necessary IMHO, not really. I did bring clothes pins and they are great for the clotheslilne in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

I like good coffee, Starbucks or other coffee houses or good resturaunt coffee. I am retired spend, a lot of time cruising, and have cruised over 650 days on Princess. I like Princess, but their coffee is terrible. They use that liquid crap, add water and call it coffee in the dinning room and the Lido. It could not be any worse. The expresso stuff just does not taste good. Some ships like the Regal, Diamond etc. do have a coffee bar with brewed coffee, but it is very weak. If your coffe is too strong, you can always add water to it. I can not do a damned thing if it is too weak!!!

It is a shame, the Italian influence on the food in the dining room is outstanding. It would be great if they could extend it to the coffee. If you want a good cup of coffee at sea, try the coffee bar on the Princendam.