Impressed

kikki21

I have to say that I am very impressed with Viking Oceans as in I ordered a brochure to be mailed out and it arrived within a few days - my future husband had a look through the brochure and he loves the look of the Viking Star as I do - we are looking to book a cruise in 2015/2016, maybe 2016 when she's had a year in service but if she looks like the design renderings then wow - this line seems very much a competitor with Azamara and at least they can get a brochure out to a potential customer!

The brochures are very nice, but I have gotten some nice brochures from AZ also. I don't like having to pay so far up front and then not getting transportation details till 90 days out.......but life/travel are an adventure. We have bought good travel insurance and it is sad to think but April 2015 will be here in a blink of an eye.

I hope you will enjoy your AZ cruise and I am hoping to have 2 cruise lines to choose between after taking my first Viking Oceans cruise.

Kathy

We are a group of six that are very excited about Viking Ocean ships. I reread their brochure about once a month.:)

I think they will be in a class by themselves. Love everything about their design and emphasis on the ports.

Because of all of our schedules we are looking at late 2015 or 2016 for a European cruise on Viking.

Look forward to actual reviews from the maiden voyage passengers.

Edited by Azulann

• 4 weeks later...

We are looking at 2016 - as possibly looking at a cruise late 2014 for the Caribbean and then possibly a Norwegian fjords cruise in 2015, also looking at a Western Med cruise - decisions, decisions! :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked Mediterranean Odyssey for April, 2016, and we are very excited. We took a Viking River cruise last year, and we were extremely impressed. This new ship looks fantastic, and we hope we'll feel as pampered as we did on the river cruise.

Susan,

When you did a river cruise did you book your air fare through Viking?

If you did ,can you explain what you got. Did you get to pick airlines or seats and times? Or were they consolidator tickets without any real choice?

Yes, we booked our airfare through Viking, but then we paid $50/person extra to have Viking make custom reservations. That way we chose the airline, the flights we wanted, and our seats. We saved a lot of money even though we paid $100 extra for the two of us to be sure we got exactly what we wanted.

To clarify, there is a $50 pp fee to use the services of Viking's Custom Air. There may also be additional costs to secure specific flights. Even with the additional costs, it may still be worth it, but you have to do your homework and know what flights you prefer and what they will cost if you book them on your own. On our first Viking cruise, we used Viking Custom Air and had to pay extra to get the flights we wanted, over & above the Custom Air fee. It worked out for us, as with the included transfers, we saved about $200 pp. But, on our upcoming june cruise, the air we could do on our own was less than Viking's. And, for these ports, the transfers to/from the airports are fairly inexpensive, so less of an issue.

Becki