Main Dining room open on Embarkation Day?

When we board the ship, will the MDR be open for lunch? Or is our only choice the horizon court or the International Cafe?

If the MDR is open, what are their hours and is it only restricted to certain passengers?

The Patter (which will be in your cabin) will tell you which dining room is serving lunch. The hours are noon to 1:30. The Horizon Court (buffet) as well as the International Cafe and Alfredos (on ships that have the latter two eateries) will be open.

I have found that the Patters only lists the lunch venue on embarkation day about half the time. Asking crew members should get you the right answer, but be persistent if the first and only answer you get is: "Go to the buffet". For reasons that are unclear to me, sometimes you get an out-and-out lie that there is no MDR open when in fact there is one.

I have found that the Patters only lists the lunch venue on embarkation day about half the time. Asking crew members should get you the right answer, but be persistent if the first and only answer you get is: "Go to the buffet". For reasons that are unclear to me, sometimes you get an out-and-out lie that there is no MDR open when in fact there is one.

We've had the same experience a couple of times. DH asked an employee which dining room was open, and the answer was that Horizon Court is open. After a couple of tries DH finally had to say that we know there is a dining room serving lunch, and that we'd like to know which one.

On our Ruby Princess cruises last month, the DaVinci Dining Room was the one open for lunch on embarkation day. We did two cruises back to back. On the first day, we had plenty of time to make it after embarkation. On the second cruise, we were delayed at going through the Immigration by a couple of in-transit passengers who did not show up on time. They delayed the whole embarkation process for the oncoming passengers as well. I bet some people who had planned to be on board in time for lunch in the dining room did not make it.

The best thing to do before your cruise is to find out which dining room is usually open for breakfast and lunch. That's the one that should be open on embarkation day as well.

Edited by geoherb

One of the MDR rooms will be open for lunch on embarkation day usually from 12:00-1:30 pm. It seems to be a closely guarded secret. When in the past I have asked a welcoming crew member upon boarding, I have consistently been told no and to use the HC. Now I simply board and then go check the MDR rooms myself. It is far better than the hordes in the HC loading their plates to the max not to mention trying to get a seat to eat your food.

When I boarded the Royal a few weeks ago, my friends and I had lunch at

Alfredo's in the Atrium. Hardly anyone was in there. The buffet is usually

A madhouse on embarkation day. It was nice to sit down and have a quiet

Lunch.

On our last cruise we were told NO dining rooms were open to proceed to the Horizon Court. When I told him I knew there was one dining room open as we are Elite and cruise often he directed me to the open dining room. I figure they don't want everyone to find out the "secret". Yes it is the best lunch on board and so quiet!