2 Days in PV

4realrod

We will be on the Miracle in February and get the pleasure of overnighting in PV. We are stoked. Last year on the Carnival Splendor we got to spend 2 nights and 3 days(long story scheduled maintenance turned our 7day into an 8 day.) We love PV and can't wait. The last couple of years we ventured out to Yelapa for a day. This year we are spending one day in PV around the Malecon, Rio Cuale and Zona Romantica. Second day we are headed to Las Caletas. Love to share our insights as PV is our favorite MR location.

We will be on the Miracle in February and get the pleasure of overnighting in PV. We are stoked. Last year on the Carnival Splendor we got to spend 2 nights and 3 days(long story scheduled maintenance turned our 7day into an 8 day.) We love PV and can't wait. The last couple of years we ventured out to Yelapa for a day. This year we are spending one day in PV around the Malecon, Rio Cuale and Zona Romantica. Second day we are headed to Las Caletas. Love to share our insights as PV is our favorite MR location.

Absolutely, would love to get your insights on PV. We will be on the Miracle in March and this will be our first Mexican Rivera cruise. We will be sailing with two of our sons (17 and 21). We have always booked private excursions in the past and saw a zip line trip that I thought we might try on the day that we dock. We are adventurous and don't mind taking a bus or just heading out on our own as long as it's a safe area. We love the beach and great food and cold beer! What are your suggestions for the days and evening?

Absolutely, would love to get your insights on PV. We will be on the Miracle in March and this will be our first Mexican Rivera cruise. We will be sailing with two of our sons (17 and 21). We have always booked private excursions in the past and saw a zip line trip that I thought we might try on the day that we dock. We are adventurous and don't mind taking a bus or just heading out on our own as long as it's a safe area. We love the beach and great food and cold beer! What are your suggestions for the days and evening?

Not sure what cruiseline you are on. Personally I would recommend doing the zipline through the ship. We did that and knew that though it was a little more expensive it would be safe and the ship would know where we were. Most cruiselines use Vallarta Adventures. To just hang out at the beach I would recommend going to the Zona Romantica and find a place along the beach. We had great ceviche and 2 for 1 Margaritas at Los Abuelos. Also strolling along the Rio Cuale is great. Look in the trees carefully and you will see iguanas.

We spend most of our November’s in Vallarta and have been doing this since 2000.

One thing that is difficult about Carnival is how they handle time. Current word has it that you sail from LA on Pacific time and the ship turns the clocks ahead once (to mountain time) while headed for Vallarta. Vallarta is in the central time zone. The ship (ship’s time) will then be one hour behind Vallarta local time and match Cabo. Reverse time change after leaving Cabo to match LA when you return.

Your sailing in March will further complicate things a little. The US starts daylight savings on March 9th and Mexico doesn’t until April 6th. If the ship doesn’t make any time changes during March, ship’s time should still be one hour behind Vallarta local and match Cabo.

In any event, I’m telling you this because you should know that you will likely arrive in Vallarta at 1 PM local (which is 12 noon ship’s time). This may impact your plans to independently book an excursion for your arrival date. Maybe 4realrod can confirm the "time" thing for you.

Los Veranos is the best independently booked zipline in the area. They do have an afternoon excursion that leaves their office on Vallarta’s south side at 1:45 PM. A 1 PM ship’s arrival is not a problem for this excursion. Their office is a 20 minute taxi ride from the ship. http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/en/

The largest excursion provider in Vallarta is Vallarta Adventures. They contract with the cruise lines to provide most of the ship’s excursions. Under the terms of their contract, they are not allowed to sell excursions direct to cruisers if the ship sells the same excursion. This link takes you to the page for Las Caletas. http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip

You should be able to do the Los Veranos zipline excursion upon arrival, be back to the ship for dinner, head downtown for the evening and spend a relaxing time at Las Caletas before the ship sails away on day two. (Note- the Las Caletas excursion will likely return you to the ship shortly before sail away.)

Generic Vallarta information can be found at: http://www.vallartainfo.com/ They have up-to-date maps. We stay at the Sheraton, just north of downtown, and walk/bus/taxi everywhere at all hours of the day and night and have never felt ill at ease.

We have done Las Caletas about a dozen times and have been to Los Veranos three times.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

When I did a mock booking for Las Caletas, the time said 12-6.

Hmmm now curious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noon to 6 (ship's time) would be correct for arrival day.

It's really hard to give you absolutes because Vallarta Adventures tailors the excursion times to meet the needs of the cruise lines.

Us resort travelers tend to leave the port around 9:15 (local), boat over to Las Caletas and do beach stuff, have lunch and then head back to the port with an arrival around 3 PM (local) or so.

Vallarta Adventures had a "second shift" for late arriving cruise ship. On docking, passengers transferred to the excursion boat, head to Las Caletas and have lunch followed by beach stuff. Return to the port in late afternoon. The overlap between the two groups was lunch.

It is possible that Carnival has booked the second shift for day one and the early excursion for day two.

It really doesn't matter what ship's time is vs. local time when booking through the ship. They will tell you when and where to be as well as making sure you get there and back.

The whole ship's time vs. local time thing is only important if you plan to book excursions independently. Last reports from Miracle passengers have the ship docked at 1 PM Vallarta local and out the next day at 4 PM Vallarta local (noon to 3 ship's time). It would be nice to get confirmation from people actually sailing the itinerary this year.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We are in PV now (its our winter home) and this morning we watched the Carnival Miracle cruise into the port with her lights ablaze. As frequent cruisers we always enjoy watching the ships sail in and out of PV. Then a couple of hours later we can look down from our condo balcony and see the cruise passengers walking on the Malecon (southside). We can usually pick-out the cruise passengers because many of them will be carrying their water bottles (it is silly to bring water off a ship in PV) and wearing their fanny packs.

Hank

We are in PV now (its our winter home) and this morning we watched the Carnival Miracle cruise into the port with her lights ablaze. As frequent cruisers we always enjoy watching the ships sail in and out of PV. Then a couple of hours later we can look down from our condo balcony and see the cruise passengers walking on the Malecon (southside). We can usually pick-out the cruise passengers because many of them will be carrying their water bottles (it is silly to bring water off a ship in PV) and wearing their fanny packs.

Hank

Enjoy your stay, we will arrive in a few days.

Indeed Los Veranos is a very populair zipline. Also a nice ride along the coast to get there. In case you arenot interested in zipline, also the botanical garden - more south - is worth a visit.

Edited by Ine

Enjoy your stay, we will arrive in a few days.

Indeed Los Veranos is a very populair zipline. Also a nice ride along the coast to get there. In case you arenot interested in zipline, also the botanical garden - more south - is worth a visit.

Your name actually came-up last evening while we were enjoying dinner with a few friends. We think it might be fun to meet you while we are all in PV...so once you get here (if you are interested) so post a message when you are in PV and perhaps we can arrange to meet somewhere on the Southside.

Hank

Your name actually came-up last evening while we were enjoying dinner with a few friends. We think it might be fun to meet you while we are all in PV...so once you get here (if you are interested) so post a message when you are in PV and perhaps we can arrange to meet somewhere on the Southside.

Hank

I sure will be in touch. It might be around a week from now, then hopefully the jetlag has gone. I wonder what friends that were. Enjoy Vallarta.

I sure will be in touch. It might be around a week from now, then hopefully the jetlag has gone. I wonder what friends that were. Enjoy Vallarta.

I post under Mexico8 and my husband and I are friends of Hank and his wife. We were talking about cruise critic at dinner at Polo last night and I asked Hank if he had ever met you - I know you reply to lots of people here on cruise critic. Would be nice if we could all meet sometime when you are in town.

Wendy

I am interested in going to Las Caletas what are my options besides booking an excursion onboard??

In a word . . . NONE

Vallarta Adventures is the excursion operator. They contract with the cruise industry to provide a number of excursions and under the terms of the contract, they are not allowed to sell direct to cruise ship passengers if the ship sells that excursion.

I am interested in going to Las Caletas what are my options besides booking an excursion onboard??

Even if you were able to book with Vallarta Adventures when your ship is in port the cost would be the same. I checked their website and the cost is the same as what I booked through Carnival.

Hank[/quote

We are in Fluvial, not too far from Costco, but we are thinking of going to e.g. seamonkey Monday or Tuesday afternoon at around 4 p.m. Let me know what is best for you, so we can meet at the entrance.

Hank[/quote

We are in Fluvial, not too far from Costco, but we are thinking of going to e.g. seamonkey Monday or Tuesday afternoon at around 4 p.m. Let me know what is best for you, so we can meet at the entrance.

Now that is funny. We live about 10 feet from the Sea Monkey and our friends (Wendy and Bob) who also want to meet you live close to Fluvial. Guess it is a small world :). We normally spend our afternoons on the beach only a few feet from the Sea Monkey so we can meet you anytime. Just give us a way to spot you and we might even buy the margaritas (still only $1).

Hank

where is a local romantic dinner on the beach spot i can take my husband too? any recommendations, websites? etc.

Vallarta is something of a foodies paradise. They have just about everything from local to international available with locations literally in the sand to fantastic views high above the city.

Romantic settings can be found at various locations throughout the city. The two restaurants that we use for special occasions are:

La Palapa, a 5-star restaurant with table available right on the beach. http://www.lapalapapv.com/site/ This is not an inexpensive taco stand.

Casa Isabel, a really good restaurant located well above the city. http://www.casaisabelpv.com/ While this place is not on the beach, it is a location that we frequent quite often and is a must-go place whenever we have guests in Vallarta with us.

This a very short list and there are many more places we go to for a quiet, romantic evening.

Enjoy!

where is a local romantic dinner on the beach spot i can take my husband too? any recommendations, websites? etc.

Have to agree with MSN, about La Palapa, if you want a romantic dinner right on the beach. But this restaurant is a bit pricy but PV standards as you do pay for their beach location. If you actually want a table on the sand it is good to reserve...especially in the high season. Casa Isabel is up in hills (so to speak) and MSN and I might agree to disagree about that place where we have found it to be hit and miss with the food, but always good for the view.

Hank

Now that is funny. We live about 10 feet from the Sea Monkey and our friends (Wendy and Bob) who also want to meet you live close to Fluvial. Guess it is a small world :). We normally spend our afternoons on the beach only a few feet from the Sea Monkey so we can meet you anytime. Just give us a way to spot you and we might even buy the margaritas (still only $1).

Hank

Since we just arrived we havenot been there yet. I remember you posted once you live near seamonkey. So it will be Monday at 4pm at the entrance (near the menu) at seamonkey.