Chocolate Society Benefits

Mrs. Claypool

On our last voyage, we received a lovely box of See's candy (Bridge Mix) from the Society because it was our 15th cruise with Crystal.

Was this a one-time benefit, or can we expect a pound of chocolates on all of our subsequent voyages?

Emily

On our last voyage, we received a lovely box of See's candy (Bridge Mix) from the Society because it was our 15th cruise with Crystal.

Was this a one-time benefit, or can we expect a pound of chocolates on all of our subsequent voyages?

Emily

I think you will continue to get it. Hope your arm is healing so you can eat the chocolate with both hands.

Gloria and Steve

Thanks for your concern about my chocolate-eating ability with my present broken wrist. I laughed so hard that Dick had to come running to find out what was up!:D

Well, MC, perhaps you will find the following picture somewhat amusing as it seems to be tailor-made for you. :):

cdfb5c4c872c3747660a74a0736f9a1b.jpg

I've gotten it on every recent cruise EXCEPT 3229. I wonder if you get it for some minimum number of days.

Roy

Roy, in general, you no longer get it on a back to back cruise which is why you didn't get it on 3229. I use the word, in general, should someone say they did in the last 18 months or so, but that would be an exception.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Roy, in general, you no longer get it on a back to back cruise which is why you didn't get it on 3229. I use the word, in general, should someone say they did in the last 18 months or so, but that would be an exception.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I'm hoping to get it on 4305 but we'll see. Do you remember if the Serenity shops sell decent chocolate?

Roy

We were on 3229 only and didn't get any chocolate :( However we were in lowly steerage. Maybe that had something to do with it........

I don't think the cabin category is the reason, it's suppose to be based on the number of cruises. I will be on my 15th cruise in a few months, in steerage...I'll report back!!!

Nancy

ah ha! Maybe that's it. I'll hopefully work on the 5th this spring sometime!!

Also as an aside, when I first read the title of this thread, I put the accent on the first two words.......as in "Chocolate Society"..........I sure wanted to be part of that group!

ah ha! Maybe that's it. I'll hopefully work on the 5th this spring sometime!!

Also as an aside, when I first read the title of this thread, I put the accent on the first two words.......as in "Chocolate Society"..........I sure wanted to be part of that group!

I'd be happy to share mine with you!!!

Nancy

Mrs Claypool, love the name "Chocolate Society Benefits".

At 15th cruise I was pleasantly surprised to get a box of See chocolates curtesy of Crystal Society. My next cruise will be the 19th.

Since then, every cruise I have been given a box. The only time I did not get a box on a cruise was when I was on a back to back segments. CS gave me a box on the first segment. I did not mind because it would have taken me a year to eat all of the chocolates!!!!

Kate

CS gave me a box on the first segment. I did not mind because it would have taken me a year to eat all of the chocolates!!!!

Kate

Kate,

While I do like Chocolate and Larry does too, I might have to distribute some of it to other cabins for the nightly turndown service!!!!

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

The box of See's sits on the DVD player untouched.

I never seem to need candy in my room, and See's is a few levels below what I consider Crystal caliber.

There are wonderful artisan producers, and some excellent top boutique brands. A few little treats from Teuscher, Godiva, or Vosges would be worth more than the pound of pedestrian candy that is more suited to grandma's parlor than an elegant top resort.

See's doesn't say "luxury."

Anyone who wants my $12 box of chocolate can drop by my room any day to pick it up.

I never seem to need candy in my room, and See's is a few levels below what I consider Crystal caliber.

There are wonderful artisan producers, and some excellent top boutique brands. A few little treats from Teuscher, Godiva, or Vosges would be worth more than the pound of pedestrian candy that is more suited to grandma's parlor than an elegant top resort.

Anyone who wants my $12 box of chocolate can drop by my room any day to pick it up.

I LOVE Vosges (and I mean LOVE them), but their products are a little (ok, a lot) polarizing. I mean as popular as nuts and chews are, not everyone loves them, but Vosges has distinct love and hate groups. One of my friends was actually ticked off that I made him try one of the spice truffles, and he's a generally open minded foodie.

Godiva retails here (granted, not in the highest end stores) for roughly the same price as See's... It's just a different style of product. See's isn't the finest chocolate, for sure, but it's not $12/lb either.

Artisan might be a little ambitious, for something that gets ordered by the thousands and has to be shipped with reliable delivery schedules... Godiva is more mass produced than See's, so that wouldn't be a problem for them of course.

This is one of the last few nods to Crystal's tradition of showcasing California suppliers.

Vince

If I was onboard I'd gladly take your "non luxury" chocolates off your hands....and I'm not a grandma :D

Picky picky. It's a gift. And it is $18 on See's website.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow chocolate lovers, during a trip to Switzerland I had some of the best chocolate in the world. In Lucerne, I visited Max Chocolatier, a boutique offering in house made chocolates with cocoa from around the world and unusual ingredients such as hibiscus, black tea and even tobacco.

Another favorite is actually based in Cambridge MA, L.A. Burdicks. Rich ganache filled truffles shaped like tiny mice with colorful silk tails - this signature item is shipped in wooden boxes tied with a gros grain ribbon and finished with a stamped wax seal. Very special - perhaps Crystal could replace See's with Burdicks. Just a thought.

We have completed 18 Crystal Cruises in Veranda category and we have NEVER received a box of chocolate! As a chocoholic I am somewhat upset by this! I happen to like See's much better than Godiva in fact they use better cocoa. I watched a show about it. They are also not as mass produced as Godiva. Also as was mentioned it is a California brand and Crystal does like to support their own!

Nancy I was I was on with you I would love to share your chocolate!

Celeste