Park and cruise- torn!

jhubble

I am trying to decide which hotel to choose. Torn between a couple, Quality Inn, Gretna, and Ramada Metairie. Quality offers shuttle to and from ($139), Ramada offers to terminal only ($119). There will be six of us cruising, and I'm thinking the return shuttle could get costly. We are also wanting to take NOLA in for a day since we will be arriving early. Any help is appreciated. We don't need luxury, but would like to make this as painless as possible.

If you are up for a couple of nights before and one after then Prytania Park is good, pretty cheap and allows free parking. The taxi to the port is $7/pp and the same from the port to the hotel.

We drive to NOLA and it is a 10 hour drive for us, so for a cruise leaving on a sunday we usually time it like this: Leave friday at noon, get to NOLA around 10pm and check in. Sleep until we wake up Saturday and go enjoy the city. Get on the ship Sunday morning, then when we get off the ship the following sunday we enjoy the city another day before driving home Monday.

It turns one vacation into two while only eating up 6 vacation days.

• 1 month later...
If you are up for a couple of nights before and one after then Prytania Park is good, pretty cheap and allows free parking. The taxi to the port is $7/pp and the same from the port to the hotel.

Looking at this for our stay. Is it safe to leave your car there? The shuttles seem to be close and easy to use. I would like to hit the FQ and maybe a couple of other things. Is that possible? The rooms online look great, how are they really?

We have had no trouble there twice, and the lot is on camera. We always leave our car on the far side (closer to entrance) of the middle aisle, backed in so the parking tag is visible to the hotel staff.

The streetcar line is within easy walking distance. We usually buy the day pass for street cars for $3 per person. The rooms are comfortable, clean and the beds are not quite as comfortable as the beds on the ship.

Voodoo BBQ is nearby, and while not quite as good as you can get in the midwest/south, it is pretty good and they do put a NOLA spin on the food.

Also, during Hurricane Isaac, when many parts of the city lost power and a few areas had minor flooding, the hotel and rooms were high and dry. The only thing that was on our car when we got back that was not there when we left it was a leaf that had blown off a tree somewhere.

Taxi's to the port are $7/pp one way, and we usually hand the driver a ten and a five and let them keep the change. It's the best taxi pricing I've seen in any city.

The streetcars are the best way to get to the French Quarter. No need for a designated driver! Just park your car at the hotel and use public transportation from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The streetcars are the best way to get to the French Quarter. No need for a designated driver! Just park your car at the hotel and use public transportation from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Did some more research and the positives overwhelmingly out weigh the negatives. We like the chains with their large rooms but we also like quirky as long as they are clean and in a good location. I think we are going with them. The wife has given me the thumbs up. :)

Edited by scuabacruiser

I do the chains anywhere but NOLA. NOLA is a great town for small business, and when I find a town like that I try to support as many small businesses as I can. We have only had one less-than-stellar stay at a small hotel in NOLA, and that hotel was completely remodeled after that.

Thanks, did yall use the trolleys?

Yes, we did. It was very convenient and fun.

BTW, we stayed at Quality Inn in Gretna last year and was not happy with it at all. It was seriously one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had and we are NOT picky people at all. The rooms were dirty and dingy. We were with 2 other families and none of us were pleased and were very thankful we were only staying 1 night. Prytania Park blows Quality Inn out of the water in location, cleanliness, atmosphere and value.

The QI shuttle was a pain...especially when we got off the ship. We went to the designated spot to wait for the shuttle and waited and waited. Of course, while we waited, more people joined the wait and there is no way to form a line at the stop, so everyone was just clustered together. See where I'm going with this? Yep, when the shuttle got there, everyone was fighting for a spot on the bus because no one was willing to wait their turn. It was chaos. That isn't necessarily the fault of the hotel, but it is has turned me off from hotel shuttles in general.

I wouldn't stay in Gretna anyway since it is on the West Bank. Nothing to do over there and not real convenient to get to. I would definitely pick Metairie over anything on the a West Bank. Even better you can find something very reasonable in the French Quarter and that is where all of the action is!! I lived in New Orleans for 9 years and although I didn't care to live there it is a great place to visit!! Enjoy!!.....PS. If you are looking for a good cheap meal in the quarter go to the Gumbo Shop!!.....not the Gumbo Pot but Gumbo SHOP!! On St Peter (both the gumbo shop and gumbo pot are on St. Peter. Pot is on the corner. Shop is done the street) fabulous food and reasonable!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with the statements about the westbank. I lived there for a while back in the 90's and have visited family and friends there many many times since. I think there is quite a bit to do, as much as there is in Kenner. The thing about westbank and Kenner is you have to seek out the things to do a bit, but there are plenty of things to do.

Algiers point is a GREAT neighborhood with quite a bit of character. There are some awesome restaurants and really nice bars. The neighborhood has a very NOLA feel without some of the risk of crime.

I would stay on the westbank over Metairie or Kenner in a heartbeat, especially since the Quarter is a ferry ride away.

You should go to Tripadvisor.com and read the reviews on the Quality Inn in Gretna.:eek:

We have changed our reservations to Maison St. Charles after reading the reviews on the Quality Inn, Gretna. It's on the street car line as well so that we can get around with ease for a day before the cruise. Thanks for all of the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have changed our reservations to Maison St. Charles after reading the reviews on the Quality Inn, Gretna. It's on the street car line as well so that we can get around with ease for a day before the cruise. Thanks for all of info

Did they have parking for while you are on the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
We are in a similar situation. There are 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) and we want to find something with parking and transfers. Also when did it become so difficult to find rooms for 5.

If you found a hotel with shuttle to port that allows five in a room, please share. We also have five adults in our party and want to all stay together.

• 4 weeks later...

We drive to NOLA and it is a 10 hour drive for us, so for a cruise leaving on a sunday we usually time it like this: Leave friday at noon, get to NOLA around 10pm and check in. Sleep until we wake up Saturday and go enjoy the city. Get on the ship Sunday morning, then when we get off the ship the following sunday we enjoy the city another day before driving home Monday.

We are booked on the Dream for May 18th,,,, Prytania is FULL!:eek: No Vacancy :(

Thanks for your comments, we will try them next time when we book far enough ahead to get a room. :)