Nickle and dime

bonniboo1

I think that I am feeling cranky from the sub zero weather, but I feel that I just want to say this. In my opinion NCL and the other cruise lines aren't nickle and diming us, they are merely giving us choices. I would rather have the option of paying extra for something if I want it instead of having it built into my cruise fare.

If I wanted everything included, I would go on an ultra expensive cruise. I feel that I have always gotten decent value from all 3 lines that I have sailed with. NCL is still my favorite though.

There, I feel better now.

Bonni

I think that I am feeling cranky from the sub zero weather, but I feel that I just want to say this. In my opinion NCL and the other cruise lines aren't nickle and diming us, they are merely giving us choices. I would rather have the option of paying extra for something if I want it instead of having it built into my cruise fare.

If I wanted everything included, I would go on an ultra expensive cruise. I feel that I have always gotten decent value from all 3 lines that I have sailed with. NCL is still my favorite though.

Bonni

You are correct. There are a number of Haters here who can't tell the difference between Nickel and Diming and the offering of the optional choice to purchase something. (Makes you wonder how these people survive a typical shopping mall...:rolleyes:)

Nickel and Diming refers to small charges which are NOT optional. As an example, if NCL told you at check in that you had to pay $5 to get your room card, THAT would be Nickel and Diming! You would have to pay it because a room card isn't OPTIONAL.

NCL does actually have one Nickel and Diming charge....its funny how most of the haters can't even identify it.

I agree in part and that is looking at the glass half full. But it is realistic to say that many years ago all restaurants, entertainment, sundecks, or private areas were included in the cruise fare. On new NCL ships most of the restaurants require fees. NCL even charges for some of the entertainment. And to pay for an adults area is free on some lines like Carnival. So I don't think it is fair to discard those who complain about all the surprise charges. Since my first NCL cruise in 2009, I have seen many more charges added to the ships. Do I still cruise with NCL? YES Do I still pay all the fees for the specialty restaurants? YES Do I pay for the extra entertainment? YES

But it is over the line to call people haters because they use the phrase "nickel and dime." Airlines nickel and dime you today too. They now charge for bags, meals, snacks, and extra bags, etc. All of these things used to be included in the airfare. So why does no one get upset for calling the airlines for nickel and diming? It is the same thing to me. I don't see ANYONE saying the airlines are giving us choices. But in reality they are ;)

Edited by david_sobe

Bonni

They all do it. NCL, Princess, Royal, Carnival ... I've been on them all, and they all do it. I never understood the complaining though. If you don't want it - don't buy it. I agree with you completely!

Three of my last 4 cruises have been on Disney. My most recent cruise, although a few years ago, was on NCL. Although people talk about Disney being more expensive, overall it costs us less than our cruise on NCL did, because all of the restaurants, entertainment, adult area, etc. are included AND we can carry our own beer and alcohol on board. We would save money this time too, if we cruised Disney (since we have already worked out the cost of most of the restaurants, etc. that we would like to enjoy on our upcoming NCL cruise). That's okay with us, because obviously we have chosen to sail NCL again, but people need to realize it is what it is. It can be a very low cost cruise line, but only if you are sacrificing things that other lines include. I feel bad for those who book without researching so they don't realize, even though it's their own fault.

I agree in part and that is looking at the glass half full. But it is realistic to say that many years ago all restaurants, entertainment, sundecks, or private areas were included in the cruise fare. On new NCL ships most of the restaurants require fees. NCL even charges for some of the entertainment. And to pay for an adults area is free on some lines like Carnival. So I don't think it is fair to discard those who complain about all the surprise charges. Since my first NCL cruise in 2009, I have seen many more charges added to the ships. Do I still cruise with NCL? YES Do I still pay all the fees for the specialty restaurants? YES Do I pay for the extra entertainment? YES

But it is over the line to call people haters because they use the phrase "nickel and dime." Airlines nickel and dime you today too. They now charge for bags, meals, snacks, and extra bags, etc. All of these things used to be included in the airfare. So why does no one get upset for calling the airlines for nickel and diming? It is the same thing to me. I don't see ANYONE saying the airlines are giving us choices. But in reality they are ;)

You would see those complaints on an airline forum. However, cruising is the topic here so I wouldn't expect to see those discussons.

All of the things that "used to be included" ARE still included. NCL, and other lines, have simply added additional OPTIONS that we never even offered before.

As you pointed out, the issue might lie in the fact that some people are "surprised" by charges. However, I would take the position that the situation is the result of an uninformed cruiser, and not Nickel and Diming. IOW, "I didn't know" doesn't make it Nickel and Diming....especially when we are dealing with COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CHARGES. Nobody HAS to spend money, they decided that they WANT to.

I also think its perfectly within the line to call these people Haters. Nickel and Dime is a perjorative term meant to cast dispersion without an impartial examination of the facts. It is no different than calling someone a Cheerleader...that term isn't meant to be a compliment either.

My very first cruise as a kid on the MV Atlantic - you had your own reserved deck chair every day ... and, it was cushioned ... and they had a towel there waiting for you, with you own assigned "pool boy" to lay it out for you LOL

American Airlines flat out markets this way. I had to pay for "choice" and that choice was to pick my seat. I think it was at least $20 and the throw in some other "perks" with it. I am claustrophobic (I am the only person that didn't love the studio room on the Epic) so I will not sit on the inside of a row/middle/window so it was worth it to me, but you used to be able to choose your seat with your fare.

Three of my last 4 cruises have been on Disney. My most recent cruise, although a few years ago, was on NCL. Although people talk about Disney being more expensive, overall it costs us less than our cruise on NCL did, because all of the restaurants, entertainment, adult area, etc. are included AND we can carry our own beer and alcohol on board. We would save money this time too, if we cruised Disney (since we have already worked out the cost of most of the restaurants, etc. that we would like to enjoy on our upcoming NCL cruise). That's okay with us, because obviously we have chosen to sail NCL again, but people need to realize it is what it is. It can be a very low cost cruise line, but only if you are sacrificing things that other lines include. I feel bad for those who book without researching so they don't realize, even though it's their own fault.

What is it that Disney includes that you had to pay extra for on NCL? I've not been on Disney....have no liking for the mouse, lol, but I know it's a nice cruise line. The only thing that could possibly make the $$$ equal for us would be alcohol and shore excursions and I seriously doubt Disney gives those away. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. When I've priced Disney, the cost was way higher than NCL.

Agree with the OP...don't see what the nickel and dime thing is about. No one has to go to the specialty restaurants...we don't except as a platinum perk...and the only entertainment that I've found that was an additional cost was Le Cirque on Epic and we didn't go there, either, as there was plenty of included entertainment.

What is it that Disney includes that you had to pay extra for on NCL? I've not been on Disney....have no liking for the mouse, lol, but I know it's a nice cruise line. The only thing that could possibly make the $$$ equal for us would be alcohol and shore excursions and I seriously doubt Disney gives those away. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. When I've priced Disney, the cost was way higher than NCL.

Agree with the OP...don't see what the nickel and dime thing is about. No one has to go to the specialty restaurants...we don't except as a platinum perk...and the only entertainment that I've found that was an additional cost was Le Cirque on Epic and we didn't go there, either, as there was plenty of included entertainment.

Disney doesn't give alcohol away, but they allow you to carry onboard any alcohol you want, and then use that alcohol anywhere on the ship. So for instance, if one is a heavy drinker, that saves $790 for two for the cost of the UBP on NCL. Of course you pay for the excursions, which are not cruise line specific. All restaurants, with the exception of one are included. All shows/entertainment are included, and the adult area are included. Obviously these things such as adult area, special shows, and specialty restaurants are optional on NCL, which is why it can be less expensive. I'm just saying for the same type of experience (doing whatever you want) the costs would be more similar for most. And as I said, we chose NCL again because we enjoy the freestyle. But as soon as we add in the alcohol, specialty restaurants, and specialty shows we plan to do, the price is going to be slightly more than we would have spent for Disney the same week. Just our example is all. Disney doesn't include anything that you HAVE to pay extra for on NCL. That isn't what I was saying in my original post. I'm saying that when we choose to pay for the extras offered on NCL, it ends up costing what Disney would cost.

Edited by Will Sail For Food

My very first cruise as a kid on the MV Atlantic - you had your own reserved deck chair every day ... and, it was cushioned ... and they had a towel there waiting for you, with you own assigned "pool boy" to lay it out for you LOL

Those were the days :)

I agree with what the OP said, I don't usually pay for the extra restaurants or shows (I'll pay for some spa treatments, it's not that much different than the same at home, and watching the sea go by while I'm getting a pedicure is a nice little indulgence)

OTOH, on the Breakaway, I really got the feeling that NCL was pushing the extras more than they have on other ships. And it was over the stupid little things. Decks 678 has the stores, atrium, an outside deck with chaise lounges... and NONE of the places have complementary coffee/tea/pastries. If you want a cup of tea or coffee outside on deck 8 away from the pool, you either pay extra for it, skip it, or go upstairs to deck 15 to the buffet and back downstairs carrying a cup of steaming hot liquid. Other ships I've been on offer complimentary drinks in the speciality café too.

I know it's a little thing, but that and a few other hard-to-pinpoint things just felt like they were pushing the extras a lot more on Breakaway than on other ships.

All non-alcoholic drinks are also included on Disney....coffee, tea, water, juice, SODA, lemonade, etc.

Disney doesn't give alcohol away, but they allow you to carry onboard any alcohol you want, and then use that alcohol anywhere on the ship. So for instance, if one is a heavy drinker, that saves $790 for two for the cost of the UBP on NCL. Of course you pay for the excursions, which are not cruise line specific. All restaurants, with the exception of one are included. All shows/entertainment are included, and the adult area are included. Obviously these things such as adult area, special shows, and specialty restaurants are optional on NCL, which is why it can be less expensive. I'm just saying for the same type of experience (doing whatever you want) the costs would be more similar for most. And as I said, we chose NCL again because we enjoy the freestyle. But as soon as we add in the alcohol, specialty restaurants, and specialty shows we plan to do, the price is going to be slightly more than we would have spent for Disney the same week. Just our example is all. Disney doesn't include anything that you HAVE to pay extra for on NCL. That isn't what I was saying in my original post. I'm saying that when we choose to pay for the extras offered on NCL, it ends up costing what Disney would cost.

When we sailed with DCL, we had a choice of ONE MDR (that rotated), or buffet, or ONE specialty dining room. On our last NCL cruise, we had a choice of THREE MDR, buffet, the Irish pub, or FIVE specialty restaurants. More choices on NCL, both free and pay.

On DCL, I think we had a choice of ONE show per night. On NCL, there were many choices, only one pay, but that is because it's a dinner show.

On our last NCL cruise, there were TWO adult only outdoor areas, one free, one pay. On DCL, there was just one. One reason NCL has pay areas is because if they didn't, the masses would complain that Posh or the Thermal Spa were packed (like the pool and slides...). I love having the option of paying extra, and having plenty of room! Others might feel differently, and just hang at the free (regular and adult) areas.

We could bring on alcohol on DCL (brought wine), but I LOVED the UBP on NCL, trying all fun cocktails. No running back to the cabin for a glass of wine or same cocktail.

NCL can't win - if the experiences they charge extra for (specialty dining, spa, Posh, bowling, etc.) were free, they would be crowded, and people would complain. Areas such as the slides, rock climbing wall, and pool are free of charge, and you will see reviews complaining about lines. Fee or lines - you choose. I choose fee!

All non-alcoholic drinks are also included on Disney....coffee, tea, water, juice, SODA, lemonade, etc.

All that except soda is included on NCL, and the soda card is about $6 per day (I don't drink soda, so I don't know for sure). Plus iced tea and a few flavored waters.

That may be correct but I can cruise twice on NCL for what it would cost for one Disney cruise

That may be correct but I can cruise twice on NCL for what it would cost for one Disney cruise

Absolutely. We could, too. We just choose to buy the drinks, do the specialty restaurants, pay for the extra show, etc. Therefore it costs us about the same, or a little more. It just depends how one chooses to do it, which is the beauty of NCL. :)

BECAUSE BOTH AIRLINE TRAVEL AND CRUISES ARE STILL AFFORDABLE ESPECIALLY WHEN I CONSIDER WHAT I PAID 20 YEARS AGO AND NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Interesting...what happened to your reserved chair if you decided not to be outdoors one day? Did it just sit empty with your assigned pool boy standing at the ready to spread your towel in case you changed your mind?

I think it is more of an atmosphere that a cruise line creates than physical nickle & diming. In my opinion NCL's main focus is you spending extra $ onboard. Ex: setting up tables in walk ways to sell you perfume or watches. Or telling you to only shop at the port stores that give NCL a kickback. Disney's main focus is to give you an unforgettable experience. They will not do ANYTHING that will disrupt that atmosphere. I feel that your total cruise cost would be the same in the end and have a more layed back vacation on Disney. I cruise NCL often but all the sales pitches drive me nuts! I avoid them as much as possible but they go out of their way to make you notice. I am cruising the Sun this Sunday but do not plan on buying a cruise rewards deposit for this very reason. Considering another trip with Disney...

PS don't forget that Disney has soda included at no charge.

Absolutely. We could, too. We just choose to buy the drinks, do the specialty restaurants, pay for the extra show, etc. Therefore it costs us about the same, or a little more. It just depends how one chooses to do it, which is the beauty of NCL. :)

I do not agree with your math, though. Let's say it costs us $5000 for a week on NCL - it would cost us double on DCL. Add the extra show ($30 pp) and alcohol (I could add up the specialty restaurants, too, but that makes no sense, because we'd eat at the same amount of specialties on both, and DCL's are way more expensive), and NCL is still thousands cheaper. Heck, I could add on the UBP, Thermal Spa pass, excursions, gratuity, specialty dining every night, specialty coffee, pastries, gelato... I'd still come out ahead on NCL.

We did enjoy our time on DCL - sailed the same week we always sail NCL (except we sail NCL out of NYC, so that adds to the cost). It's always way cheaper on NCL, for a very similar product. NCL brings in big revenue on alcohol and gambling, so DCL has to charge a premium, with no casino, and allowing folks to bring some booze onboard.