FTTF, anyone else have mixed feelings?

carrieluvsgreg

One point that I would make is that you have to pay for faster to the fun and platinum members get that perk for free.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Another point in fact is that the ability to go to your cabin straight away and have your luggage waiting for you is a perk of FTTF...one could argue that it's not fair for platinums to get it for free :cool:....just 'saying. :p

I've been on one cruise as Platinum. Enjoyed priority boarding and all the other little things. I have been on many more without those perks and not had any problems. We usually carry all our luggage off, so that isn't an issue. I would much rather put the $50 dollars towards shore excursions or frozen drinks by the pool.

I don't understand how it concerns you what anyone but you gets or doesn't get. Welcome to real life things aren't always fair. I can only afford 2 adult beverages a day, so everyone else should only be allowed 2 adult beverages a day, because it's not fair they can afford to buy more than me, seriously where does that line of thinking ever end?

Worry about you boo, and don't fret what anyone else is doing or getting. If your not happy with the service there are plenty of other lines to get those loyalty rewards on. On Princess rooms are ready as soon as you board for everyone, you don't have to be loyal and you don't have to pay an extra fee for it either. So it pays to shop around my friend ;):). Yes I know PCL & CCL are both owned by Carnival Corp., but they are run separately.

Happy Cruising :).

Let's see, you get on before the FTTF group so unless you walk really slow and the FTTF people sprinted I don't see how you could get trampled :) Heck, before FTTF you would have been trampled by that pesky first boarding group that went on after you .

Those that purchase it don't get a t-shirt that says haha I paid for FTTF and you didn't. At least I didn't see where they sold it, so there might be one.

I am really upset now that I would have to pay for FTTF to get the perks but I don't get laundry or BOGO slots....not fair

I guess you are also upset that those silly people who get suites get to board early too...dang them. Wait! They board the suites after you go....they must have trampled you on the way on the ship, sorry about that it might have been me.

Actually suites board with plats and diamonds,at least they did when I had a suite last August on The Freedom.

This is not true!! The gift we get for being Platinum are different and not sold in the shops onboard or on the Bon Voayage section of the website. And Yes, I have looked in both places many times. :)

Oh, and what you said about your laundry being in the same machine as my free laundry? That's true, but mine mine is still free and you had to pay (a lot). Same with the slot tournament, arcade tokens, etc.

I as well dislike FTTF because I feel like it isn't fair that after I've spent thousands of $ sailing with Carnival and being loyal to them, that a 1st time cruiser can pay $49 for (almost) all the same perks. Aand yes, I found on my last cruise on the Breeze, the FTTF people were very pushy, especially at the guest services line where they would try to push me out of the way saying "I paid for this line, the regular line is over there)". :( Simple solution, just hold up my Platinum card and say (ok, think about saying but don't really because it's rude) "So did I, and I paid a lot more than you"!! :D

However, all that being said, I do enjoy being able to go straight to my cabin when I board the ship!! :D Sometimes, you have to look for the positives in life!!!!

My point was that most all of the platinum perks have been for sale in one form or another and that early access to your cabin along with early luggage delivery were never a platinum perk. You get this new service for free. Pushy people in a line??? Those types of people will be pushy regardless of FTTF. I say don't sweat the small stuff. Just my opinion. :D

I don't understand how it concerns you what anyone but you gets or doesn't get. Welcome to real life things aren't always fair. I can only afford 2 adult beverages a day, so everyone else should only be allowed 2 adult beverages a day, because it's not fair they can afford to buy more than me, seriously where does that line of thinking ever end?

Worry about you boo, and don't fret what anyone else is doing or getting. If your not happy with the service there are plenty of other lines to get those loyalty rewards on. On Princess rooms are ready as soon as you board for everyone, you don't have to be loyal and you don't have to pay an extra fee for it either. So it pays to shop around my friend ;):). Yes I know PCL & CCL are both owned by Carnival Corp., but they are run separately.

Happy Cruising :).

Well said, I agree completely. I won't worry about what you are doing and you don't worry about me. :D Thanks for the info on Princess. We are looking at them for our next cruise. Nice to know rooms are ready when you board there.

Wow, seems like I've struck quite a few nerves... It seems several people have chosen to focus on the fact that the perk is "free" to us, we haven't paid for it... Actually, we have paid thousands to earn these benefits. I've run the numbers... It's an average because most of our trips are 7 day, but in an effort to reach platinum we have taken some shorter trips to get there. Considering cruise rate, taxes and port fees only, it has cost us roughly $10,000. That doesn't include gratuities, souvenirs, bar tabs, photos or spa treatments. (Those things didn't help advance our effort.). So, in my eyes, platinum status is something we chose to invest in in order to EARN privileges. I'm simply stating that carnival is cheapening that by selling it. I said early on that I understand people who want to purchase the perks. I was there too. We sailed on the dream last April prior to platinum and looked everyday to add the FTTF to our trip. So, I'm not in anyway upset, angry or frustrated with anyone who purchases FTTF. It's out there, available to purchase, so go for it. I'm saying that the company has cheapened the value of our benefits to me... It's not exclusive if it can be purchased.

I've seen another thread where some cruisers are being offered "platinum for free" if they book by a certain time... I wonder how this makes all of you feel who've jumped on me in this thread? Someone just like you, who hasn't been able to reach the status yet is being offered the option to try it for FREE! You have to pay $50 for this, how did they get chosen? Does it make you at all irritated? Do you feel at all cheated for your $50 purchase? Would you wonder WHY carnival would offer this to so e cruises and not you? Yeah, life's not fair, I get it. I figured that out a long time ago. I don't expect fair. My post was really more to do with carnival not the consumer.

Wow, seems like I've struck quite a few nerves... It seems several people have chosen to focus on the fact that the perk is "free" to us, we haven't paid for it... Actually, we have paid thousands to earn these benefits. I've run the numbers... It's an average because most of our trips are 7 day, but in an effort to reach platinum we have taken some shorter trips to get there. Considering cruise rate, taxes and port fees only, it has cost us roughly $10,000. That doesn't include gratuities, souvenirs, bar tabs, photos or spa treatments. (Those things didn't help advance our effort.). So, in my eyes, platinum status is something we chose to invest in in order to EARN privileges. I'm simply stating that carnival is cheapening that by selling it. I said early on that I understand people who want to purchase the perks. I was there too. We sailed on the dream last April prior to platinum and looked everyday to add the FTTF to our trip. So, I'm not in anyway upset, angry or frustrated with anyone who purchases FTTF. It's out there, available to purchase, so go for it. I'm saying that the company has cheapened the value of our benefits to me... It's not exclusive if it can be purchased.

I've seen another thread where some cruisers are being offered "platinum for free" if they book by a certain time... I wonder how this makes all of you feel who've jumped on me in this thread? Someone just like you, who hasn't been able to reach the status yet is being offered the option to try it for FREE! You have to pay $50 for this, how did they get chosen? Does it make you at all irritated? Do you feel at all cheated for your $50 purchase? Would you wonder WHY carnival would offer this to so e cruises and not you? Yeah, life's not fair, I get it. I figured that out a long time ago. I don't expect fair. My post was really more to do with carnival not the consumer.

No nerves struck here. It seems that the only common benefits that FTTF gives someone is a separate line at guest services (maybe this is important. I don't know. I have never used guest services) and priority tendering. (again I don't know if FTTF has kept a platinum off the tender) The whole early access to the cabin and quick luggage delivery was never a platinum benefit. So as people were working towards that status this was not an expectation. All of that aside, imho I believe the rewards program in its entirety was severely flawed. When given the chance to fix it , they instead blew it up. You mentioned you took some shorter cruises to get status and you invested approx. $10,000 to do it. No problem, those were the rules and you played by them. I have done 7 week long cruises and am about to embark on my 8th. Each one of them has been in a suite. I have invested well north of $10,000 in booking fees. Do I feel cheated? No. Again, these are the rules in a rewards program that by its design is completely inequitable.

How would I have re-worked it? First I would have grandfathered current status. From there every dollar spent = 1 point. Set your status levels that way. Seems fair to me. Carnival is a public company. If I were a shareholder I would recognize the person who spent say $25,000 over nine (7) day cruises with 63 sea days over a platinum who spent half that and has 30 to forty days at sea.

Will I get that platinum card? Probably in 2015. Does it mean anything to me? Not really, because again, there is no exclusivity to being platinum and there never was. It was messed up from the beginning.

What bothers me most about FTTF is that it is like the caste system where the richer deserve and get more than the poorer instead of all being created equal.

Sure, the richer deserve to be able to eat in the steak house while the poorer eat in the main dining room but FTTF is a trend that we don't know where it will stop as long as it keeps making more money for the cruise line.

Next they may start charging you more to be first in the dining room making those without paying the early dining charges eat later.

Then they start charging you more for first seating in the show room and in the lounge.

Then they start charging you more for first access to the pool or hot tubs.

Then they start charging you more for first access to the lifeboats in case of an emergency and everyone else is a third class citizen like back in the days of the Titanic where the poorer were locked in their cabins until the rich boarded the lifeboats.

Carnival just saw Disneyworld start charging people more to be able to skip the long lines and figured they could profit from this scheme too but it sure seems to turn lots of people into second class citizens who are jealous and repulsed by those who think they can spend a little more to break in line ahead of them just because they have a platinum American Express card.

What bothers me most about FTTF is that it is like the caste system where the richer deserve and get more than the poorer instead of all being created equal.

I mostly agree with you, but before FTTF ViP access was limited to those with Platinum/Diamond status, Suite Guests, and those who "knew someone" via the credit card loophole. Now at least everyone has equal opportunity to purchase FTTF.

Actually suites board with plats and diamonds,at least they did when I had a suite last August on The Freedom.

Same for our upcoming trip. Our paper work says VIP and we purchased the FTTF for both suites.

Edited by grumplin

Sure, the richer deserve to be able to eat in the steak house while the poorer eat in the main dining room but FTTF is a trend that we don't know where it will stop as long as it keeps making more money for the cruise line

I'm sorry but I just scared my dog when I started laughing and choked on my coffee. I can't see how faster to the fun is like a chaste system. It is $49.95 not $1000. I do not think too many truly poor people are cruising often. We we very poor earlier in our life and there was definitely no money for going out to dinner EVER let alone a nice vacation. It seems to me if Carnival had enough platinum and diamond cruising on each voyage this might not be occurring at all. Maybe they wanted to make paying staff to work the VIP lines pay off???? Who knows. They are in the business to makes $. If any of the things you listed in your post occurred we would all be able to vote with our dollars and go elsewhere.

Seems you've watched TITANIC a few times too many.

Clueless. Simply clueless.

Sure, the richer deserve to be able to eat in the steak house while the poorer eat in the main dining room but FTTF is a trend that we don't know where it will stop as long as it keeps making more money for the cruise line.

Next they may start charging you more to be first in the dining room making those without paying the early dining charges eat later.

Then they start charging you more for first seating in the show room and in the lounge.

Then they start charging you more for first access to the lifeboats in case of an emergency and everyone else is a third class citizen like back in the days of the Titanic where the poorer were locked in their cabins until the rich boarded the lifeboats.

Carnival just saw Disneyworld start charging people more to be able to skip the long lines and figured they could profit from this scheme too but it sure seems to turn lots of people into second class citizens who are jealous and repulsed by those who think they can spend a little more to break in line ahead of them just because they have a platinum American Express card.

You were on quite the roll until you made the last very inaccurate statement about Disneyworld. They do not now or have ever charged people to be able to skip long lines. All of their fastpass sytems (old and new) have never cost the vacationers a dime. You just had to put your ticket into the machine. Most people (evidently you too) we not smart enough to do the proper research to understant how the system works. So please, don't make stupid, ignorant, and completely false statements trying to make a pointless point!

And you are entitled to your opinion but I think you're way off base and that's mine. It's $50!!!

Edited by 5Hawkeyes

LOL! I thought Carnival made the poor people row the boat! :cool:

I fly Delta at least 80 times a year. I get a first class upgrade about 75% of the time. Someone who is one their first ever Delta flight can pay the extra money to sit in the seat next to me.... The horror!!!!! I EARNED the right to be up there.... They didn't! I demand to speak to the pilot.....

You were on quite the roll until you made the last very inaccurate statement about Disneyworld. They do not now or have ever charged people to be able to skip long lines. All of their fastpass sytems (old and new) have never cost the vacationers a dime. You just had to put your ticket into the machine. Most people (evidently you too) we not smart enough to do the proper research to understant how the system works. So please, don't make stupid, ignorant, and completely false statements trying to make a pointless point!

And you are entitled to your opinion but I think you're way off base and that's mine. It's $50!!!

Wow, I'm so glad that you are so tolerant of people that don't have an understanding as you do. If you weren't so tolerant of other people then you'ld come off as an a-hole.

Now that that's settled, let's all have fun researching and planning our vacation.

This was true on my last cruise also - the VIP area was loaded, but the FTTF people only took up a small area. Maybe it's the people in the suites that are taking up all their space?

Most of the FTTF "people" were children of the people sitting there. They were on the escalators. In the hall. In the VIP lounge. In the RR. Each couple had at least three children. Running up and down the corridors. Or they were in Miami in Sept. Worst mess I have ever seen boarding any ship. Getting off was worse. Hundreds of self Assist got thrown in the Mix.

Edited by AmberTeka

And this thread was not started to get anything going...

Read those nasty posts. Most from the fttf.

I say it again. Everyting that could be said has been said.

Go sail ncl. Or celebrity. Watch for specials. They are not that much more expensive.

Vote with your money. Save your breath on this topic.

And this thread was not started to get anything going...

Read those nasty posts. Most from the fttf.

I say it again. Everyting that could be said has been said.

Go sail ncl. Or celebrity. Watch for specials. They are not that much more expensive.

Vote with your money. Save your breath on this topic.

I think you need to reread the posts .The really nasty or bizarre ones were from Platinum cruisers .My favorite was the caste system .Were for $49.99 I would be in the first life boat . Seriously we are talking $49.99 to have your room ready on arrival & luggage delivery . Get a life people ! They are not getting the endless laundry , the chocolate strawberries or the present .Sure they may be in the same line with you at guest services but so what !

Edited by Sailor_Sally

December 1, 2013, 6 days on the Breeze out of Miami. Totally enjoyed our cruise, again.

We got FTTF.

Embarkation: An organized chaos! We got to the terminal around 10:30 am, they didn't start boarding until around 12:30 pm, no idea what happened but really, not a big deal! D, P, physically challenged, FTTF were boarded in that order. Our luggage was actually waiting for us before we got to our cove balcony cabin, very nice. Hardly anyone at the buffet which was our next stop.

Guest Service: Used the priority line once. I had my S&S card out. Some guy behind me tapped my shoulder and said "this line is not for you". I pointed at the FTTF sticker on the back of my card to him and then the FTTF sign above the counter, for the line I was in. To make a short story long, he said he was just trying to help me out??? Why he was holding up his fists (and I really thought he was going to hit me or something), was beyond me. There were only 2 of us there. Basically I ignored him. I really thought he was going to have a heart attack. Well! He started it! I do feel for the young lady behind the counter, after looking after me, having to explain to him what FTTF is. He was annoying the people behind him for sure!

During the evening heading back to Miami, I noticed there were 3 VERY long lines for non-FTTF guests at GS. Not sure why! We didn't need to use GS then but in hindsight, the $50 for the FTTF was well spent.

The reason the queues were so long at the non VIP line was because all the platinum's were removing Grats and were too embarrassed to do it from the VIP line in case they got recognized;) lol

Wow, I'm so glad that you are so tolerant of people that don't have an understanding as you do. If you weren't so tolerant of other people then you'ld come off as an a-hole.

Now that that's settled, let's all have fun researching and planning our vacation.

You know, I'm actually a very tolerant person. But when someone goes on a rant like that and then finishes with a completely incorrect statement I just felt compelled to correct it. Sorry about that.

And I'll have a great time researching and planning my vacations. That's why I come to this board to learn as much as possible. But you have to admit the drama is pretty fun as well:)

You've struck no nerve with me, other than to be annoying by trying to play some silly game.

There have been plenty of other threads on this topic so your motivation to start yet another one is very questionable, especially because you seem to have no point. If your unhappy and complained to CCL and your not satisfied with their response simply move to another line.

Besides that the people paying for fttfp will in the end have paid more than you when they reach Platinum. Also a rewards program is a voluntary program companies engage in, but in no way are obligated to have. How about being grateful for what you do get for free instead of whining and crying how unfair your free voluntary benefits are, really?

Your minimal cruise fees went to cover the cost of your food, entertainment, itinerary and lodging, not to strictly fund a rewards program, grow up.

Edited by lovelearnteach