FTTF, anyone else have mixed feelings?

carrieluvsgreg

No, you worked to earn money. You didn't specifically work for the cruise in the way you said earlier. I work, too, and one of my expenses is always getting an aftwrap suite. But, I don't have the sense of entitlement that is often exhibited here by platinums. Do I "work" for my cruises? Heck, no! I pay for them just like everybody else.

I am an avid cruiser and haven't reached Plat or silver level yet. I have purchased FTTF for the first time. Don't shoot me! I catch my flight at 4am and one I reach the ship I want to drop off my luggage and grab a bite to eat, not wait in a long line in the not sun with my carry on luggage! Call me crazy but FTTF just makes sense :)

Both my husband and myself 'WORKED' very hard to make the money that PAID for our cruises that helped us to reach Platinum status. We are not wealthy by any means and the hours we put in at our jobs prove this. So, yes... we did work to reach Platinum status! (as thousands of others have done before us!)

Using this logic, I "WORK" to earn money so I can buy FTTF. Therefore we both work to get the same perks.

I think Carnival should introduce "VIP FTTF" at $50-$100 pp not $50 per cabin as FTTF is.

VIP FTTF could allow "Ultimate First boarding" and priority everything including all Plat/Diamond perks! even a pin:)

I would pay another $100 each for this service and wouldnt be annoyed at all if Plats/Diamonds got a 50% discount on the rate:D:D:D

I think the frustration should be directed to the decision makers at carnival. The perks for platinum and above are meager at best in MHO. You spend thousands of dollars and years of loyalty to get very few benefits like priority boarding but would it hurt them to offer you a free glass of wine in the MDR or a specialty coffee in the morning or perhaps priority seating at the shows? Just saying.

Edited by CruiseCrazyCouple0611
typos

I think the frustration should be directed to the decision makers at carnival. The perks for platinum and above are meager at best in MHO. You spend thousands of dollars and years of loyalty to get very few benefits like priority boarding but would it hurt them to offer you a free glass of wine in the MDR or a specialty coffee in the morning or perhaps priority seating at the shows? Just saying.

But you are not spending Thousands of dollars and years of loyalty just to get loyalty perks:confused:

You are spending Thousands of dollars for the pleasure of the cruises you have taken and staying loyal because you enjoy the companies product! For this you receive some perks, no more no less:)

And those of us who spring for suites are paying top dollar and getting only the benefits of priority boarding and early embarkation. So what, we're on a cruise and in an aftwrap suite! Life is good!

To be serious, I have five cruises to date, 35 sailing days on Carnival, all in aftwrap suites. I bet I've paid much more than most Platinums with 10 cruises to cruise Carnival. So, don't get uppity with me! And, in August, I'm going to add another 22 sailing days, in guess what, an aftwrap suite. Life most definitely is good.

Oh yeah, I had FTTF on my last cruise, and on the next.

Laura S: Let's just say that we can agree to disagree on the subject of 'working vs earning'. Please understand that I don't feel as a Platinum member that I'm 'entitled' to anything. With that being said, there will always be some who will have difficulty understanding our thoughts on this subject. Trying to explain it in ways that doesn't sound like we feel we are 'entitled' as you put it, can be extremely difficult (as it's being shown now). Especially when people try to make us feel guilty for saying anything negative about the FTTF program. Needless to say, those of us who earned Platinum perks the old fashioned way just have to accept the fact that some of those perks can now be bought for $50. Done... :)

I am Platinum and have no problem with FTTF - EXCEPT - I don't think FTTF should inculde the fast lane at Guest Services. I have no problem looking at FTTF as a perk you have to pay for but get for free once you are platinum, but think the Guest Service line should be reserved for those who actually are platinum.

Just my $0.02

Agreed. The lack of appreciation towards loyalty is one reason we've started to explore other lines. We'll continue to cruise CCL if it's the best deal - but that's the only thing that will keep us loyal.

I am Platinum and have no problem with FTTF - EXCEPT - I don't think FTTF should inculde the fast lane at Guest Services. I have no problem looking at FTTF as a perk you have to pay for but get for free once you are platinum, but think the Guest Service line should be reserved for those who actually are platinum.

Just my $0.02

Why do you think this may I ask? Priority boarding may annoy some priority tenders may annoy others and any combination of FTTF but why specifically Guest Services line annoys you?

In all my cruises I dont think I have been to guest services more than 2 or 3 times!

I often wonder what on earth all those people queuing up are doing!

A simple cabin call to desk can sort out most problems and Carnival give you a check for unused OBC etc in cabin last day.

I understand first day and last day problems but what on earth are all those visits to guest services for during the cruise?

But you are not spending Thousands of dollars and years of loyalty just to get loyalty perks:confused:

You are spending Thousands of dollars for the pleasure of the cruises you have taken and staying loyal because you enjoy the companies product! For this you receive some perks, no more no less:)

I can hear the conversation with my husband. "Honey, we HAVE to go on a cruise. We must earn more loyalty points. I know, I know. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it!" :)

I can hear the conversation with my husband. "Honey, we HAVE to go on a cruise. We must earn more loyalty points. I know, I know. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it!" :)

The fist few cruises would have been such a bore knowing there are so many points to still acumulate:D:D:D

First, my intention is not to "rile" anyone up... We recently reached Platinum status, not that we didn't thoroughly enjoy every step of the way, but it was a process! I feel a bit cheated that others can "buy" their way on the ship for the same priority perks that we've invested 10 years into receiving. On our last trip, we were nearly trampled by FTTF participants. I totally understand why people would pay for the perks, just a bit irritated that the cruise line offers these perks for a price... :(

The only thing that really irritated me about the whole deal was Carnival's hypocrisy.

Carnival said the reason to they changed to Sea Days was because the current system was "not sustainable" (translation...to many people were achieving that status).

That was the same reason Carnival gave for cutting 2/3rds of their most loyal cruisers when they did not grandfather Milestone cruisers to the Diamond level.

That is all fine and good....I completely understand those moves...

BUT then they go and SELL the very same perks????

The same perks they said they could not service because of the growing numbers were unsustainable????

:confused::confused:

Why do you think this may I ask? Priority boarding may annoy some priority tenders may annoy others and any combination of FTTF but why specifically Guest Services line annoys you?

In all my cruises I dont think I have been to guest services more than 2 or 3 times!

I often wonder what on earth all those people queuing up are doing!

A simple cabin call to desk can sort out most problems and Carnival give you a check for unused OBC etc in cabin last day.

I understand first day and last day problems but what on earth are all those visits to guest services for during the cruise?

Personally, it is a bit irritating because the whole point of this "perk" is not to have to wait.

Unfortunately, the FTTF are generally the less traveled folks who have 9,000 questions...thus holding up the Priority line.

I have been platinum for a while now and it really does not bother me at all people can purchases FTTF.

If I was not Platinum I would not buy FTTF.

I think Platinum is a nice perk but do not feel Carnival owes me anything but a great vacation which they provide.

I also got to Platinum on number of cruises not days, was that fair, probably not, but that was the program at the time. I have since reached platinum days also and still don't feel cheated by FTTF

The only thing that really irritated me about the whole deal was Carnival's hypocrisy.

Carnival said the reason to they changed to Sea Days was because the current system was "not sustainable" (translation...to many people were achieving that status).

That was the same reason Carnival gave for cutting 2/3rds of their most loyal cruisers when they did not grandfather Milestone cruisers to the Diamond level.

The same perks they said they could not service because of the growing numbers were unsustainable????

Not sustainable due to the fact that they were giving these perks away to so many, but if you pay for them then it offsets the costs.

Exactly!!

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

First, my intention is not to "rile" anyone up... We recently reached Platinum status, not that we didn't thoroughly enjoy every step of the way, but it was a process! I feel a bit cheated that others can "buy" their way on the ship for the same priority perks that we've invested 10 years into receiving. On our last trip, we were nearly trampled by FTTF participants. I totally understand why people would pay for the perks, just a bit irritated that the cruise line offers these perks for a price... :(

Yes, but FTTF go on AFTER Platinum and Diamond guests. No inconvenience to you.

Personally, it is a bit irritating because the whole point of this "perk" is not to have to wait.

Unfortunately, the FTTF are generally the less traveled folks who have 9,000 questions...thus holding up the Priority line.

On my 7-day cruise in February I never saw more than two people in the Priority Guest Services line. We spent a lot of time in the Atrium and since this was one of the gripes, I kept an eye on it to see. Oh yeah, the times there were two people in that line, I was one of them. It's another overblown issue.

We will be taking our 7th Carnival cruise in September and it is the very first time we purchased FTTF. Now, our reasons for purchasing it were not typical. You see, my DH has severe sleep apnea and has to bring a C-pap machine on board. It is going to be nice to be able to take this medical equipment straight to our room and secure it as soon as we board. Honestly, I don't think we would do it otherwise.

We will be taking our 7th Carnival cruise in September and it is the very first time we purchased FTTF. Now, our reasons for purchasing it were not typical. You see, my DH has severe sleep apnea and has to bring a C-pap machine on board. It is going to be nice to be able to take this medical equipment straight to our room and secure it as soon as we board. Honestly, I don't think we would do it otherwise.

As I have stated many times, why do people feel they have to explain why they purchased FTTF?:confused: DW and I are Platinum, and have been for quite a few years. With the introduction of FTTF, we can now go to our room upon boarding and drop off our carry on luggage. Couldn't do this prior as a platinum perk.

I understand where you are coming from but since this is our second cruise I appreciate having the offer and hope to one day earn the right without paying.

This plus one!

I can't wait until I'm Diamond on Carnival but until I do get a higher level than Gold, I continue to buy FTTF so I can have my cabin ready and my luggage waiting for me when I board the ship. As for trampling Platinum status guests I can'f see how that happens as Carnival allows first wedding parties on. Followed by Diamond then Platinum and the us FTTF paying perkies can start start boarding until the fore-mentioned guest are completely off the gangplank and on the ship. At least on the ships I have been on.

Edited by lady_cruiser