The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

ahoymatey3, thank you for the kind comments. There was also a "Happy Wanderer (take two)" thread from the '04 cruise; the '03 thread was lost when the boards were converted to a new system.

This was the third year in a row that I did (essentially) the same itinerary, and I did the west-bound in '01. It was also the third consecutive year with a guaranteed share; the other two were excellent experiences.

As you make your decision about the cruise for next year I would be happy to answer any questions you might come up with.

There are already several CC'ers booked for next year; I've seen their thread on the Roll-Call board.

RuthC - I checked that roll call first. That's how I found out about you. You were quite the hot topic over there.

Still in the day-dreaming stage. I've got a transatlantic on the Millennium 11/18 coming up before I decide.

I've only been on HAL once, the Maasdam out of Norfolk. great cruise. It was the ill-fated 3/31/05 10 day western carib.

I had to try X next, but I'll sail HAL again. Have you been on X? You seem like a very experienced cruiser so I would be interested in your comparisons.

Have you been on X? You seem like a very experienced cruiser so I would be interested in your comparisons.

Never sailed brand X---the single supplement is too rich for my purse. But based on the thread about HAL's new dining "experiment" I might have to. :( Or step up to one of the luxury lines. :confused:

I guess you could call me "experienced"; I have 386 days in 17 cruises (with 22 days in 2 cruises booked) on HAL and one cruise each on five other lines. I first cruised in '78, and got serious at it in '92. My first cruise was with HAL when I was youngandsingleandgorgeous, then Cunard, Carnival, Chandris, Royal Caribbean, and Royal Viking, then back to HAL where I have stayed.

Based on that I may have the credentials to be of some help whenever you have a question. I'm always glad to try.

Never sailed brand X---the single supplement is too rich for my purse. But based on the thread about HAL's new dining "experiment" I might have to. :( Or step up to one of the luxury lines. :confused:

I guess you could call me "experienced"; I have 386 days in 17 cruises (with 22 days in 2 cruises booked) on HAL and one cruise each on five other lines. I first cruised in '78, and got serious at it in '92. My first cruise was with HAL when I was youngandsingleandgorgeous, then Cunard, Carnival, Chandris, Royal Caribbean, and Royal Viking, then back to HAL where I have stayed.

Based on that I may have the credentials to be of some help whenever you have a question. I'm always glad to try.

You can get deals on "brand X" though. I'm doing a five day Caribbean itinerary on the Zenith (one of the older ships in the fleet) as part of a Cruise University program (for new TAs). True, there are some discounts, but not too many. I only paid about $500 for the sailing. It visits Key West, Costa Maya and Cozumel with one day at sea.

But, the trip does run Monday through Saturday, which may have had something to do with the lower price. In my case, though, Monday to Saturday works out great. My "weekend" is in the middle of the week anyway! :)

I think some of Brand X's older ships ... inside cabins, etc., can be gotten for a decent price. You just have to look for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My first cruise was with HAL when I was youngandsingleandgorgeous, then Cunard, Carnival, Chandris, Royal Caribbean, and Royal Viking, then back to HAL where I have stayed.

I suppose I should really ask this question on the Cunard board ... but does anyone, particularly yourself, know anything about the QM2's Transatlantic cruises between New York and Southhampton? I know they are nothing but sea days, but would love to one day do a b2b (NY to NY). Would there be enough to keep one busy on the boat for that amount of sea days?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Did your 35 day sellout?

As far as I know, yes. It was sold out all three years. The '01 crossing (on the larger Amsterdam) was sold out a year in advance; I do know that. When I tried to book the same cruise for '00 it had been sold out months before.

The '03 and '04 round trips were on the larger Rotterdam. In '03 it was only a 33-day round trip, and did not sell well. Finally it was split into two segments and did sell out. So, for '04 it was sold as two separate cruises, then eventually combined for a lower total price. Both times the cruise was primarily round-trippers, though. Around 200 changed at the half-way point.

This year was the smaller Maasdam. AFAIK it was sold out a long time before sailing, but there were many, many more one-way passengers this year. I think about 400 (out of 1260 +/-) changed in Rotterdam.

I suppose I should really ask this question on the Cunard board ... but does anyone, particularly yourself, know anything about the QM2's Transatlantic cruises between New York and Southhampton?

Not I. When I sailed Cunard it was back in '79, and I vowed I would never sail them again---too stuffy. At least for me at that point in my life. Maybe now?

I would also have to wonder if a crossing on either of those ships is really for you, Rita. Crossings were always very formal, and you are not. The QE2 was always formal every night on a crossing; don't know that they aren't still.

Only you can judge if you would like all those sea days. Maybe you'll get a good idea on your So. Pacific cruise coming up. Frankly, I prefer the sea days, and never have enough time to do everything I want while at sea. Give me several weeks of sea days---with a few scenic cruising days thrown in---and I'm happy. Don't need ports.

I think you're right about asking this on the Cunard board, or starting a separate thread here. I'm not sure people will find your inquiry buried in this thread, considering the original purpose, and that it's been resurrected after so long.

That explains the 170% single supp then. Because they can. Last time I had no single supp, but others I've priced run about 125%. I'm not cheap, but not rich either.

I was wondering how they would handle the issue of the safe. Thanks for that info. I assume you had to use the box at the front desk. I'm a smoker also, and I've read they will not take that into account when matching. So many problems with a share. I've never put up with what you did.

That explains the 170% single supp then. Because they can. Last time I had no single supp, but others I've priced run about 125%. I'm not cheap, but not rich either.

I was wondering how they would handle the issue of the safe. Thanks for that info. I assume you had to use the box at the front desk. I'm a smoker also, and I've read they will not take that into account when matching. So many problems with a share. I've never put up with what you did.

No, they don't take smokers into account when matching ... not on HAL. Anytime you share, the cabin is designated non-smoking ... unless, of course, you happen to luck out and get a roommate who smokes. That was another reason I decided to forget about the share.

170% single supplement?!?!?!? No way. I don't think I've ever paid more than 150% ... and that was on Princess, with a rock bottom discount on the sailing to begin with.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would also have to wonder if a crossing on either of those ships is really for you, Rita. Crossings were always very formal, and you are not. The QE2 was always formal every night on a crossing; don't know that they aren't still.

Oh, no ... if it's formal every night, you're right. Not for me. Guess I'd have to check into that very carefully being even considering such an itinerary.

Of course, this is one of my "someday" cruises ... nothing I am planning on for the next several years. LOL ... actually, I don't think I'll be planning on much more cruising for a year or so after 2006. I'll be broke! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

RuthC - How repeatitive were the menus?

Obviously, the individual selections were repeated several times in 35 nights; I had several opportunities for filet mignon, prime rib, turkey, etc. I don't recall that the specific menus were ever repeated in their entirity. They may have been repeated on the trip back, but after 17-18 nights who could remember? I do believe the dessert menus were repeated. ;) (Funny that I noticed that!)

Suffice it to say that there was never a night that I couldn't select one entree, and there were several nights that were a hard choice among three entrees. And I'm a finicky eater.

There were always the "anytime" dishes of steak, chicken, and salmon. As a matter of fact, there must have been a special on salmon at the purveyor's since there were at least two different salmon choices every night.

Hunger never became a problem. On a long cruise such as this going to eat again becomes the problem. You actually get to the point where you ask yourself "do I have to go to dinner again?" (whine here.) Those nights you can skip the meal, have room service, go to the Lido, or go to the dining room and eat a light meal---you can even order from the children's menu.

Anything else?

Obviously, the individual selections were repeated several times in 35 nights; I had several opportunities for filet mignon, prime rib, turkey, etc.

Yummmmm, I could take steak and prime rib all 30 nights of my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. I am a real "meat and potatoes" gal.

And, combined with the fact that there are supposedly only going to be four formal nights, I can imagine meal times are gonna be a real joy!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived