Cruise Critic Community
Harriet75C

Azura suite - butler

Hi

I'm in a suite on the Azura for a cruise in May. I have a couple of questions about the Butler service in the suites.

I've never had a butler before so I'm not sure what I can ask them to do. I've seen the list of things you can ask a butler to do, but I've also looked at a few reviews and now I'm confused!

It says you can ask them to help unpack and pack, but all the reviews I've seen say that people didn't get their butler to help with that. I'm specifically interested in that because we'll have two small children with us and it would be quite good to have someone help unpack while I'm amusing them, but I don't want to appear out of order if nobody really ever gets the butler to do that!

Also, some of the reviews say that the butler never showed up to collect people from the priority embarkation lounge and didn't introduce themselves until the following day. How likely is that to happen? I don't want to turn up with unrealistic expectations, because that would spoil elements of the holiday for me, but I'm excited about being in a suite and i want to make the most of it!

And a non-butler related question. Can you get feather pillows, and can you get extra pillows? I usually have lots of pillows and find it much easier to sleep on feather pillows than hollow fibre.

Hi

I'm in a suite on the Azura for a cruise in May. I have a couple of questions about the Butler service in the suites.

I've never had a butler before so I'm not sure what I can ask them to do. I've seen the list of things you can ask a butler to do, but I've also looked at a few reviews and now I'm confused!

It says you can ask them to help unpack and pack, but all the reviews I've seen say that people didn't get their butler to help with that. I'm specifically interested in that because we'll have two small children with us and it would be quite good to have someone help unpack while I'm amusing them, but I don't want to appear out of order if nobody really ever gets the butler to do that!

Also, some of the reviews say that the butler never showed up to collect people from the priority embarkation lounge and didn't introduce themselves until the following day. How likely is that to happen? I don't want to turn up with unrealistic expectations, because that would spoil elements of the holiday for me, but I'm excited about being in a suite and i want to make the most of it!

And a non-butler related question. Can you get feather pillows, and can you get extra pillows? I usually have lots of pillows and find it much easier to sleep on feather pillows than hollow fibre.

Hi Harriet,

The packing and unpacking. The butler will do this if you ask. I don't think many ask him but that does not mean you cannot.

Your butler will try to pick you up from the lounge where you have your champagne and lunch. He does have a number of cabins to deal with so if he does not come when you have seen others be taken away I would just find it yourself and he will catch you up. You will be able to board at 12, if you are much later than that ie after 2.00 the lounge may have stopped serving and he will be looking after the other suite guests. Again just go to the cabin. I have never experienced the butler not meeting you until the following day. Of course if you wander the ship and only come back to the cabin for a short time you may miss him. He will know which sitting you are on and will deliver your canopies to fit in. It is when you are on freedom that he needs to know when to deliver.

Not sure about the pillows.

Remember being in a suite you can go to 17 for breakfast. This is a delight.

BTW which cruise are you on in May?

If you have any other questions just ask.

Hello Harriet,

We've been lucky enough to have cruised on Azura twice in a suite, once in a mid ship one & once in an aft suite.

A big tip for you ....

When you embark and are taken to the priority embarkation lounge

1) Make sure the people who great you a the door give you a card to place on your table. As there's more than one Butler on Azura this helps him to identify you as one of his guests. 2) Make sure you don't 'hide away' in a corner. We did this on our 2nd cruise thinking we'd sit out of everyone's way with our carry on luggage and we were one of the last guests to be collected!

I'm not sure if P&O offer a pillow selection as such like some other cruise lines do, but if you need something different then just ask. I'm sure either your Butler or your cabin steward can arrange it for you.

In addition to what Dai has said about eating in Seventeen (you must try it!), don't forget that as a Suite passenger you can also order anything from the in cabin menu & including chargeable items & they're free!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time & if you think of anything else please ask.

Thanks for the tips :)

Dai - I'm on the 3 May Fjords cruise.

I now need to go and look at all the excursions on cruise personaliser to see which ones look doable with a buggy. I suspect we may be spending a lot of time on the ship - not a bad thing as I can pop the 2 year old into the kids club and go to the spa.

Thanks for the tips :)

Dai - I'm on the 3 May Fjords cruise.

I now need to go and look at all the excursions on cruise personaliser to see which ones look doable with a buggy. I suspect we may be spending a lot of time on the ship - not a bad thing as I can pop the 2 year old into the kids club and go to the spa.

Well there you go, we are on that one as well. We also have a suite. We could meet and have a chat.

If I find enough people I generally organise a get together. I know of about 4 at the moment.

I am easy to spot being on a mobility scooter.

Hi Dai & Harriet,

My Husband & I too are on this cruise so might see you on board.

Our first suite on board was mid ship but we were very disappointed by the balcony so we booked an aft suite for the 'Grand Event' (A750) which was huge!

We would have booked this again but felt that for the Fjords we wanted to be on the side of the ship as opposed to the aft so have opted for a Superior Deluxe on D deck.

If anyone has any tips for excursions I'd love to know as the Fjords is a 1st for us so don't really know which ones to do.

Joan

We travelled on Azura last May to the Fjords and had a lovely time. Two friends of ours have just booked on the May 3rd cruise and I am tempted to book again to join them.

There are two different destinations so its worth doing again in my book:)

The weather last year was glorious but this cruise is a few weeks earlier so I doubt we would be so lucky again.

Here is a little peak for anyone interested

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the video link.

Wow it looks wonderful, can't wait to go now!!

I just wish I could edit my cruise DVD's as well as you've done.

If you don't mind me asking what software do you use?

I own a Sony camcorder & have recently upgraded to a windows 8 laptop. I used to use Sony's own software 'Picture Motion Browser' but this isn't supported by windows 8 so they now recommend 'Play Memories' however, I can't even get my images to play on that!!

I'm therefore looking at purchasing some software but not being that technically minded didn't want to spend a fortune no something I won't be able to operate.:(

Any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks.

Joan