*Live blog* - Ben the Bendyman's Great GETAWAY - Maiden Voyage

kylenyc

*Live blog* - Ben the Bendyman's Great GETAWAY

Leaving for Norwegian Getaway's Maiden Voyage

Day (-3) - Friday Jan 10, 2013 at 5 PM

Woohoo!* Ben is on his way to his Great Getaway Adventure land hopping across Europe with a couple of days aboard the brand spanking new Norwegian Getaway in between!* His manservant scrambled to do laundry and pack today (no surprise here).* As fate would have it, the MTA bus was turning the corner just as he stepped out the door.* So, he saved himself some cab fare.

Friend Ben on Facebook if you have any questions. http://www.facebook.com/ben.bendyman

P1010026.jpg

Riding the MTA bus to Roosevelt Ave 4th Street Station.

P1010016.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Ding. Stop Requested!

P1010030.jpg

Roosevelt Ave 4th Street Station.

P1010034.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Hmmm... A, B, C, D, E, F, G...

Edited by kylenyc

*Live blog* - Ben the Bendyman's Great GETAWAY

Leaving for Norwegian Getaway's Maiden Voyage

Day (-3) - Friday Jan 10, 2013 at 5 PM

Taking the E train to the JFK Air Train.

P1010050.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010060.jpg

Arriving at the Air Tram which stops at each airline Terminal

P1010063.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010072.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Day (-3) - Friday Jan 10, 2014 at 6 PM

Taking the JFK Air Train to the Jet Blue Terminal 5

The subway and ride during rush hour wasn't as bad as Ben feared. A short ride aboard the JFK Air Train and our elated elastic explorer was at the terminal. Check-in was a breeze. Ben arrived at his gate an hour before boarding, enough time to buy a bottle of water ($2), a shrimp wrap ($10!!!), and a kale orange power juice at Jamba for his porter (who was trying to be good).

P1010077.jpg

JFK Air Train, $5, :shrugs:

P1010079.jpg

P1010085.jpg

P1010092.jpg

Hope it isn't raining when he arrives in the Netherlands.

P1010098.jpg

Ben has a flashback :dizzy: :shivers:

P1010105.jpg

JFK - Jet Blue Terminal 5

Edited by kylenyc

Day (-3) - Friday Jan 10, 2014 at 7 PM

Boarding Aer Lingus flight to the Netherlands

...Where our little limber hero will stay a couple of nights before boarding the Norwegian Getaway in Rotterdam. His typist promptly purchased wifi as soon as they reached 30,000 feet (20 euros plus VAT tax) while munching on his shrimp wrap. At this altitude, the wifi is much faster and more reliable than cruise ship wifi.

P1010109.jpg

Aer Lingus Airbus at the gate an hour before boarding.

P1010120.jpg

Trying to behave with a Kale Orange Power Jamba Juice

P1010121.jpg

8 PM boarding

P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

P1010126.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Day (-3) - Friday Jan 10, 2014 at 11 PM

Aboard Aer Lingus flight to the Netherlands

One hour into the flight at 10 pm, Ben was surprised by meal service. Our elated epicurian jumped for joy right onto his butler's tray of meat and potatoes, salad, butter roll, chedder cheese and crackers....and triple chocolate brownie!!! It's been years since he's been on a flight that had meal service included. And his butler was doing so well trying to behave with a Jamba Juice and shrimp wrap. It's a conspiracy!

After munching and dictating to his typist for 4 hrs into the 6 hr flight, Ben lets his employee take a short nap. Nighty night.

P1010127.jpg

P1010129.jpg

P1010132.jpg

P1010134.jpg

Can't resist! Yum!

P1010137.jpg

Coming up:

Transfer in Dublin

Flight to Schipol Airport, Amsterdam, Netherland

Edited by kylenyc

Hi Kyle & Ben!

I did not know you were taking the Getaway TA too! I am soooo jealous. ;) Have a great time; I can't wait to hear all about it! I'll watch for your blog here.

I'd like to see any comparison you may have to the Breakaway TA (which was a magical time for me).

Caron

Thanks champagne123, highboy90, magictam, tink218, david sobe, sissasmome, medical ma'am, medtech2, eboni325. Boarding Getaway in 18 hours!

Thanks DGP1111. Your Epic review is one of the blogs that got Ben excited to do Breakaway last year.

Hi Kyle & Ben!

I did not know you were taking the Getaway TA too! I am soooo jealous. Have a great time; I can't wait to hear all about it! I'll watch for your blog here.

I'd like to see any comparison you may have to the Breakaway TA (which was a magical time for me).

Caron

Just found out Yemi will board in Rotterdam for the 1 day as well! Wish you could be here! Our TA was magical. Great memories. I'm not doing the transatlantic on Getaway but will be able to experiece the most important hightlights - The Illusionarium, Legally Blonde, and the new miami themed venues. Will try to eperience as much as possible.

Edited by kylenyc

Booked on her May 3! I am stoked to follow your adventure! Truth be told I have been worried that the Getaway is going to be a half ass ship like the Breakaway has been reviewed as lately.

I don't think any thing will please the naysayers. There are many positive review but they just get drowned out by all the noise. I love the Breakaway and her crew.

What kind of computer is that?

It is a 2012 Google Nexus 7 inch tablet with an optional bluetooth keyboard from ebay/amazon. Ben rebranded it as the Etch A Sketch 2012 :D

Edited by kylenyc

Day (-2) - Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 8 AM GMT (Dublin)

Connecting flight in Dublin

After blogging for 4 hours out of his 6 hour flight, Ben let his typist nap for a couple of hours. They arrived in the morning local time in Dublin as the sun was rising. The plane landed smoothly and Ben hitched a ride in his porter's backpack over to Terminal 410 for their connecting flight. As was walking, there was a one and only announcement that the gate changed. Ben was fidgeting as flight to Amsterdam was 20 minutes late in boarding.

The flight was an hour and time flew by quickly. Ben's personal assistant only had a chance to rest his eyes and not really nap. There was no wifi service aboard this flight. Food and drink cost extra but was reasonable compared to the airport shops. So, he bought a bottle of water and an Irish souvenir candle set packaged in a cute suitcase from the "sky mall". Our bendable blogger was a bit anxious as the batteries began to run low and he realized his human forgot to pack his travel adapter. Luckily they sold them on board as well.

P1010134.jpg

Are you writing about me?!

P1010137.jpg

Okay, okay. You can nap for 2 hours. Sheesh. Good help is so difficult to find these days...

P1010140.jpg

Arriving in Dublin

P1010145.jpg

Can't resist! Yum!

P1010146.jpg

P1010148.jpg

Edited by kylenyc