• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Inspiration review 7-9-05

WarEagle1990

We flew into Tampa the day before and stayed at the Marriott Waterside. I highly recommend this hotel...very nice! We explored Ybor City for a while and ate at the Columbia Restaurant. We paid an extra $6pp to watch the flamenco dancing at the Columbia. We enjoyed it very much.

Embarkation: A breeze. We were on the ship in no time. We went to the Lido Deck and ate lunch then walked around the ship. Some time Saturday they made the first of several announcements concerning the ship leaving Tampa. As expected we couldn't leave as planned but should be underway Sunday morning. They even set up a new itenerary with another stop since we couldn't get to Grand Caymen but this would change.

Of course Sunday morning we still couldn't leave because the port and the bay were closed to shipping traffic. Around 2 in the afternoon they made an announcement saying that we would only be making one port of call but would receive a $50pp credit and a 40% discount on our next cruise. This must be taken by Dec. 2006. (We are going to try to make this happen...keeping my fingers crossed) We could also leave the ship and get a full refund. Many people did leave. We heard that between 600-700 people left, could be a rumor though. We thought about leaving but being from Alabama we probably wouldn't have been able to get home because our good friend Dennis was heading that way. Anyway we finally left the dock around 8pm Sunday evening. But before we could really leave we had to dock at another pier to let other traffic into the port.

Monday...finally at sea...YEAH!!! We had a wonderful time on the ship. We had a late seating for dinner in the Carnivale dining room. Our head waiter Martin and waiter Valeriey were wonderful!! The food was very good.

On Tuesday we docked in Cozumel. We had pre-purchased an excursion to Tulum. We had a good time here also, however it made for an very long day most of it travel time. The ferry ride to Play del Carmen was VERY rough. I don't know it it like this all the time but I dreaded the trip back to Cozumel. When we did return to Cozumel we explored downtown. We ate at Panchos Backyard which we enjoyed very much. Warning: The margaritas are very strong! Or it could have been that all I ate since breakfast was a donut and a bag of lays potato chips provided on the bus to Tulum.

Debarkation: We chose self assist. An announcement was made around 7:15 or 7:30 saying we could debark. We were at the airport at 8:15.

Overall we had a very good trip. Yes we were disappointed that we couldn't go to Grand Cayman but we also understood why we couldn't. I think most people on the ship understood and made the best of the cruise. I didn't hear anyone complain though some probably did and most of those probably got off the ship before we left.

Thanks for the review. My entire extended family is going on the Inspiration on 8/20 and we are very excited! It will be the first cruise for several of us but not me. I have been on one NCL cruise and I am excited to try Carnival!

Just curious...what port were they going to visit instead of Grand Cayman? I know that this might happen to us since we are cruising during prime hurricane season and just wondering what they might do.

Thanks!!

We are on the Inspiration with you on 8/20 !!!!! Thought we were going to be alone !!! We are from upstate NY and taveling with the kids this time- girl age 16 and son age 11... counting the days !!! Tix just came with an awesome upgrade too :) :) see you on the Inspiration

Laurie715

That's great! We are hoping for an upgrade but we are thinking that our chances are small since we have five rooms. I can still hope though. We have an inside on Riviera deck which I am kind of happy about for those in our party who have never cruised before. I am worried about some of them getting seasick. What were you upgraded to?

Archived