Travel Guard Insurance

JacqueOCS

Anyone use it? We've never bought insurance for our previous cruises, but are considering it for this one. If you buy insurance what kind do you buy? The one offered to us through our TA is $323 for the 19 day cruise. Travel Guard Gold plan is $263 and also covers if hubby has to cx due to work. Any info appreciated.

Anyone use it? We've never bought insurance for our previous cruises, but are considering it for this one. If you buy insurance what kind do you buy? The one offered to us through our TA is $323 for the 19 day cruise. Travel Guard Gold plan is $263 and also covers if hubby has to cx due to work. Any info appreciated.

Take the time to read the 'small print' re exceptions. Then take even more time to read the 'very small print'......:cool:

I used them recently and was happy with the price and coverage. Fortunately, I didn't have any claims.

Since my cruise was "free" and I used FF points for air, my exposure was minimal. I bought it mainly for medical since my med ins isn't valid outside the US. I upgraded for medical evacuation and the total cost was about 100$. This covered some extra days in FL. I did read the fine print and felt it was worth that amount.

One thing I noticed is that if you use FF points, they only reimburse any "fees" associated with booking and re-deposits, if applicable.

The first time I bought insurance, I compared through insure my trip dot com and ended up going with CSA. Boy, was I glad I had them several years ago when we missed our connection due to weather (flying the day before), and missed three days of our cruise...we caught up with them on Wednesday of a Sunday-Sunday cruise. Anyway, CSA took care of everything from making new flight arrangements, booking hotels in Miami and Belize (where we spent a couple of days waiting for the cruise ship), all of our meals (including drinks and tips), and reimbursing us for the days we missed on the ship! And we had the money within two weeks of sending them our receipts! They are the only insurance I ever use...fabulous! And they were one of the least expensive (we bought the cheaper of the two plans they offered).

~Joanne

We use TG thru Costco - $38 for two of us on the NCL March 2 trip. Since it is based on the cost of the cruise, you see we travel in an inexpensive cabin. But more pertinent is, that as a nurse, I have seen serious unexpected illnesses happen to cruisers and a huge difference between transport if insured or not. If you want to pay for the helicopter off the ship, best to be insured. If you do not have health insurance at all or have only Medicare when outside of the USA then travel insurance is a must to insure your assets/home from being depleted. Being insured we are looking forward to a carefree and sunny cruise on NCL Star to Mexico.

Thank you for responding!

JoTeacher - CSA is what our our TA is offering. It's only $60 more than the Gold Travel Guard plan. We don't see where CSA covers anything to do w/hubby's work (if he were not able to go on the cruise). TG does cover that.

SeattleSeattle - yes, being a nurse as well, I'm def concerned over the health care costs. Always better to be safe than sorry.

I had friends who had to cancel a 3-week Hawaiian vacation and cruise. They were all prepared for a fight and a long wait - didn't happen. Travel guard was great. They said the agent was very sympathetic and kind. They had their check in no time. We will always use Travelguard!

I had friends who had to cancel a 3-week Hawaiian vacation and cruise. They were all prepared for a fight and a long wait - didn't happen. Travel guard was great. They said the agent was very sympathetic and kind. They had their check in no time. We will always use Travelguard!

Travel Mom - that's great to hear. Thanks for sharing!

I always use squaremouth. For me, I like to be sure that the policy i select has pre-existing condition coverage and medical evacuation coverage of at least $500,000 for that one in a million chance that I might have an appendicitis attack and have to be airlifted to a hospital in the states. Most of the other coverages are pretty standard. Also, if you plan to do parasailing, waterskiing, etc, make sure that the policy you select doesn't specifically exclude these activities.