Carnival/Royal family cruises NCL Jewel - Picture review

mpcaruth

Thanks for your review so far! :)

Too bad that the kids' programs and activities were not to your family's liking - that just shows how different things will make or break the experience for different people and why it's good that there are different cruise lines to offer different things - so far your review hasn't included anything negative for us DINKs in our 30s. ;)

P.S. Your pics in post #12 are not from Blue Lagoon but from Moderno. While very similar, Blue Lagoon is on the other side of the ship and doesn't have the salad buffet that is an essential part of Moderno experience.

ROATAN - MAY KEY CONTINUED:

We stopped by to see the sea lion feeding. My son loved this, as he did all the animals. He is my little nature child and wants to go into an animal science field.

IMG_7214_zps6d784a49.jpg

IMG_7158_zpsd6618c4e.jpg

IMG_7164_zps7da523ea.jpg

We walked some more around the beautiful island.

IMG_7144_zps8430ba79.jpg

IMG_7131_zpsb8cb7f99.jpg

IMG_7154_zps27548092.jpg

Thanks for your review so far! :)

Too bad that the kids' programs and activities were not to your family's liking - that just shows how different things will make or break the experience for different people and why it's good that there are different cruise lines to offer different things - so far your review hasn't included anything negative for us DINKs in our 30s. ;)

P.S. Your pics in post #12 are not from Blue Lagoon but from Moderno. While very similar, Blue Lagoon is on the other side of the ship and doesn't have the salad buffet that is an essential part of Moderno experience.

Besides the kids program for the Tweens specifically, there were not many negatives. What I did miss was my kids going to camp while my husband and I have date night at the comedy club. For DINKs, this cruise would get 2 thumbs up!

Your pictures are amazing! Did the animal preserve include monkeys? We ended up doing the dolphin swim in Roatan due to bad weather in Cozumel, nixing my son's favorite Roatan excursion, Gumbalimba Park.

Thanks! There were a few wild monkeys on the island, but we did not get interact with them. They hung out in the mangroves.

ROATAN - MAYA KEY CONTINUED:

We ate the complimentary lunch which consisted of chicken, beans & rice, fried sea bass, banana chips, and tea. It was good, especially the sea bass. Afterwards, we headed out to tour the Mayan replicas and mini museum.

Stairs leading up the Mayan world:

IMG_7171_zps61489f1d.jpg

IMG_7173_zpsa03ee824.jpg

Climbing one of the replica pyramids:

IMG_7178_zpsa497c25c.jpg

IMG_7180_zps51441bdb.jpg

IMG_7183_zpsddf58a78.jpg

IMG_7186_zps180379ad.jpg

ROATAN - MAY KEY CONTINUED:

I love the island foliage:

IMG_7129_zpse47cc754.jpg

Last boat back to the Jewel was 3:00 and made sure we stayed until the very end. So many people left early, and there were only four other people joining us on the last boat back.

Right near the island boat dock is the nurse shark area. See the area in front of the Jewel inside the dock? We saw lots of sharks here. Apparently, some days they offer a pay additional encounter of snorkeling with the nurse sharks. Whoa, I am not sure I would be able to do that!

IMG_7221_zps2c160f90.jpg

Here is the boat which takes cruise passengers back to the ship:

IMG_7239_zps92d3b847.jpg

I was sad to leave May Key. There just wasn't enough time for me to do everything I wanted AND relax in a lounge with a cold drink. My personality type does not let me relax when there is so much fun and exploring to be done.

Approaching our marvelous home for the week!

P1050778_zps2ad04e9f.jpg

ROATAN -FINAL:

Wow, what a superb day in Roatan and we LOVED NCL's May Key excursion. It was definitely worth the price (even if we didn't get it with free OBC). It offered a little for everyone:

I loved the snorkeling. Period.

My son loved the snorkeling and the rescue animals.

My daughter enjoyed the snorkeling, the pool, the Mayan temples, and the beach.

My husband enjoyed exploring and relaxing, and liked the snorkeling.

Some last photos of Roatan's port area:

P1050762_zps5509337a.jpg

IMG_7257_zps11e6e9a9.jpg

IMG_7250_zpsc6cc8ae6.jpg

IMG_7253_zpsaa82ea95.jpg

Check out the size of those ropes securring the ship!

IMG_7251_zps1a20e155.jpg

GOOD BYE BEAUTIFUL ROATAN! TIL WE SEE YOU AGAIN.

I'm enjoying reading your review and seeing the pictures. We have been debating on whether to to go to the the West End or Maya Key for Roatan and seeing your photos have me convinced Maya Key is the best choice for us. The snorkeling looks fantastic. You got some nice shots.

You said the last boat back to the ship was at 3:00. What time did you leave the ship in the morning? How often do the shuttles go back to the ship?

I also have a Cannon DSLR for when I am feeling photo happy and want to be creative or get better shots, but sometimes it is just a PAIN to carry around the big DSLR.

I'm trying to decide if I want to lug around my big Sony DLSR for the cruise. Did you take your Canon at all? Or just use the point and shoot?

I'm enjoying reading your review and seeing the pictures. We have been debating on whether to to go to the the West End or Maya Key for Roatan and seeing your photos have me convinced Maya Key is the best choice for us. The snorkeling looks fantastic. You got some nice shots.

You said the last boat back to the ship was at 3:00. What time did you leave the ship in the morning? How often do the shuttles go back to the ship?

Maya Key or West End? That's a tough choice. I say do one this year, and come back to Roatan the next!

I believe we boarded the excursion shuttle boat at 8:30. We arrived in port at 8:00 and All Aboard was 3:30. The boat shuttle back and forth from the Maya Key dock to the Jewel dock every 30 minutes, and you could come and go as you please. We chose first in - last out!

I'm trying to decide if I want to lug around my big Sony DLSR for the cruise. Did you take your Canon at all? Or just use the point and shoot?

I always take both cameras, but only take the DSLR under certain conditions: when the weather will be good and I will have a secure place to keep my belongings.

On this trip:

New Orleans - Point and shoot only

Cozumel - Both, but I think I only took 5 photos with the DSLR

Belize - Point and shoot only

Roatan - both

Costa Maya - both

Ship - I pretty much only use the point and shoot, as it will fit in my little camera/phone bag across my shoulder/chest. Plus, either I am not very good, or I don't have the right DSLR lens, but I get much better flashless indoor photos with my point and shoot Panasonic. It has a pretty decent Aperature.

Great review! Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories of the Jewel (which we sailed in AK) and Roatan (which we did on the Epic). Wonderful pictures

Thanks. Cruising produces some of the best memories!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and pictures! I am very impressed that you got the W in New Orleans for $80. Great price!

You are welcome. I have fun researching hotels and bidding on Priceline and purchasing on Hotwire. I get a thrill finding vacation deals. My best deal ever was the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood Fl. for $89. Now, that place was sweet! I have pictures of it in my Freedom-Panama review in my signature. I also got a hotel room in the Times Square area in NYC last summer for $135. The W was nice, but really no extras, and our room was just a standard room with contemporary decor. Valet parking was $39, but a necessity.

• 2 weeks later...

Port day 4: Costa Maya

This was the only new port for us, as we had been to the rest of the ports on previous cruises. The weather forecast listed in the Daily said 82 degrees. We got up early as we needed to be at Pez Quadro Beach bar at 9:00 for our private fishing and snorkeling excursion. I had pre-booked this excursion through Island Marketing Ltd (only $200 for a group of four). There was a long walk out to the taxi area, and then we had to wait for about 10 minutes to get on the tax (bus). It took another 10 minutes to get to the taxi stop ne Pez Quadro. So, one should plan 30 minutes from getting off the ship until you arrive at the beach clubs on the far end of the Mahalual’s Malecon.

Remember I mentioned earlier that the Daily said it would be 82 degrees – not even close. It was cold and windy and I am guessing in the lower 60’s in the morning. We were cold walking around in Tees and shorts. Many cruise passengers bought jackets in Costa Maya. And the beaches were nearly empty and the Malecon was practically bare. I suppose when folks got off the ship and found out how cold it was, they stayed in the port area.

We arrive at Pez Quadro and I feel in love with this quaint little hotel and beach area. The lady we were supposed to check in with for our private excursion was not there, however, a staff member quickly found out boating excursion guys for us.

P1060406_zps16bbded8.jpg

P1060404_zps8de894dd.jpg

IMG_7290_zps0442b5bd.jpg

IMG_7293_zps1dda1e64.jpg

IMG_7288_zps546ff805.jpg

IMG_7286_zps7a125808.jpg

Port Day 4: Costa Maya - Continued

Do to the communication error with the lady at Pez Quadro, our fishing boat was not ready, but they quickly got one for us and a team of two guides. As this was a surprise excursion for my son’s 13 birthday, we started out fishing first: his favorite. We fished for about an hour up and down the coast line, and never caught anything. My daughter was reeling in a barracuda (with the help of both me and my husband reeling), but the barracuda bit right through the thick line near the bait. I was disappointed that my son didn’t catch a fish, but it did not seem to bother him. He said this excursion was the best one this trip!

Relaxing while waiting for our fishing boat:

IMG_7276_zps0a0dccc5.jpg

IMG_7281_zpsfa9268b4.jpg

P1060133_zps483a1a99.jpg

We used both live bait and artificial bait:

P1060134_zps56a18b20.jpg

P1060143_zps7cf4ba47.jpg

P1060136_zps1097230f.jpg

Port Day 4: Costa Maya - continued

After fishing, we seriously debated about whether to snorkel or not. It was COLD! But, I sucked it up, because I was not going to miss out on this and regret it later. My son and I snorkeled with one of the guides. While, my husband and daughter decided to pass and relax covered up in towels on the boat. The snorkeling was great! It was much different than the hard coral-scapes in Roatan. The coral here was more spread out and was, what I consider, soft coral. I enjoyed watching the local guide dive effortlessly closer to the deeper coral.

P1060338_zps1c078ac4.jpg

P1060303_zps78a08455.jpg

P1060276_zps56d40967.jpg

P1060275_zpsd46fb954.jpg

I call this: "Happy-To-See-You" coral ; )

P1060258_zps3eabddde.jpg

P1060238_zps07b04b0c.jpg