Share any info on Samana, please!!

kjbacon

We will be on The Gem in a couple weeks (yay!) and cannot get much info on Samana. The board on the Port of Call section has precious little activity and time is ticking. We are hearing and reading accounts that are making us feel that safety issues may trump our desire to go the rainforest (or otherwise disembark the ship in port) but ..... complaints are always more prevalent than praise, so would like to get as much input as possible. Can you chime in and help? Thx!

We realize your post originated in 2014, but in hopes of assisting others that would like to know a bit about Samana, we are happy to share information about the very popular Whale Watching excursion that takes place January - March in Samana Bay below.

Whale Watching in Samana Bay

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-4a

Not there for whale watching. Any other recommendations if I don't want to do a tour? I am thinking just a peaceful beach day.

Jenn

Hello California Cruiser: Cayo Levantado beach break is one of the nicest tours in Samana, you may purchase it via the cruise line.

If you are interested in a more active and unique tour combine the cave and mangrove excursion with the Cayo Levantado beach stop.

We are on the Oosterdam, in Samana on Oct. 19, and had originally booked the zipline tour for DH and the low impact tour for me. Since he is a blood donor he found out he can't leave the ship so I'm going on my tour alone. Tour Samana with Terry has great reviews on TripAdvisor and also here. We always do private tours when we can and this looks like a lot of fun. We've never had a problem getting back to our ship in plenty of time. BTWm Samana is a tender port.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the oosterdam on mon November 9. There are 4 of us. We would like to explore the surrounding area and perhaps visit the national park. Will there be taxis waiting at the port that we can hire?

Hello Viv0828 :

You may reach the national park only via boat and for this I would recommend booking the excursion via the cruise line. Which also has a stop on Cayo Levantado island.

We are on the Oosterdam, in Samana on Oct. 19, and had originally booked the zipline tour for DH and the low impact tour for me. Since he is a blood donor he found out he can't leave the ship so I'm going on my tour alone. Tour Samana with Terry has great reviews on TripAdvisor and also here. We always do private tours when we can and this looks like a lot of fun. We've never had a problem getting back to our ship in plenty of time. BTWm Samana is a tender port.

Dear ooalto:

The zip line is an excellent tour in Samana, have fun !!

I also would like to know more PLEASE anything will help

We are going to be there on New Years Day

hello mourhaan :

Are you also arriving on Oosterdam ? I can recommend the Cayo Levantado island tour and/or the national Park you will not be disappointed !

For those arriving between jaguar and march 15th the whale watching tour is a must do. Samana is considered one of the best humpback whale watching spots in the world.

We are on the oosterdam on mon November 9. There are 4 of us. We would like to explore the surrounding area and perhaps visit the national park. Will there be taxis waiting at the port that we can hire?

Hi Viv and Harold! Congratulations on your upcoming cruise.

Yes, there will be taxis at the port, which can take you where you need to go, allowing you to explore the area.

Best regards,

IPP

• 1 month later...

We did a private tour through TOUR SAMANA WITH TERRY ( info on Trip Advisor) and it was fantastic. He was very prompt responding to emails and I highly recommend his tours. I let him know about our group and he emailed back several interesting sights for us to see and we took his suggestions. We also had a lovely Caribbean lunch on the beach prepared by locals- it was amazing