Another Ship with GI (noro?) - Caribbean Princess

0bnxshs

Caribbean Princess is returning early to Galveston, TX with over 5% of the passengers with GI illness.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/01/articles/norovirus/norovirus-outbreak-on-caribbean-princess-cruise-ship/

thanks for the report. sounds like another cruise cut short. What a shame. As much as I don't like the 48 hour 'code orange' that HAL implements, I think it does help. An ounce of prevention to so speak.

thanks for the report. sounds like another cruise cut short. What a shame. As much as I don't like the 48 hour 'code orange' that HAL implements, I think it does help. An ounce of prevention to so speak.

Sure it helps, as does frequent hand washing. Two guesses: 1. HAL pax are more experienced and more likely to follow the handwashing rules, and 2. The more passengers they stuff on a ship, the more possibilities that someone will bring the virus aboard, and the more people there are to spread it around.

Edited by BumperII

Cruise was cut short due to heavy fog that was moving in was going to close Houston port.

Noro was just a "free parting gift" for the passengers.

Just wash your hands people- it's not rocket science and it keeps happening.

I have two rules when using a bathroom:

If I touch anything on the way in or in the bathroom I wash my hands.

If I don't touch anything on the way in or in the bathroom I wash my hands.

I always use a fresh paper towel to open the door if it's not an open walkway. I never touch anything outside the bathroom in the immediate area as I figure that is where those that haven't washed leave the bad stuff.

And yet, HAL wasn't on the 6 most hygienic cruiselines list... Just an interesting observation. :)

One question with the code orange thing... Can you just not season your food at all or do they have salt and pepper packets for you to use? Or are you dependent on someone else getting it right when they put it on your food?

Sure it helps, as does frequent hand washing. Two guesses: 1. HAL pax are more experienced and more likely to follow the handwashing rules, and 2. The more passengers they stuff on a ship, the more possibilities that someone will bring the virus aboard, and the more people there are to spread it around.

Seems like it has hit the "megaships" - over 2500 passengers, in the Caribbean. Haven't heard of any illnesses on the smaller HAL, Celebrity, Oceana, Silversea, Seabourn, etc. Just my observation.

And yet, HAL wasn't on the 6 most hygienic cruiselines list... Just an interesting observation. :)

One question with the code orange thing... Can you just not season your food at all or do they have salt and pepper packets for you to use? Or are you dependent on someone else getting it right when they put it on your food?

Typically on the Lido buffet, they have the small packets of salt/pepper that are given to you upon asking.

In the MDR, salt and pepper have been on the table, at least recently, in their normal shakers.

I would bet every cruise ship has some number of cases of noro. It's what happens when people from different place congregate. Add to that the plane rides and hotels and it is easy to see how it gets on a ship. We are vigilant about hygiene and what we touch to try and avoid it.

As I was listening to the news in the car this morning, I heard an interview with a passenger who had Noro complaining that they were told they couldn't leave their room and if they did they would be put off the ship. I guess some people just don't understand how contagious they can be when they have Noro.

Typically on the Lido buffet, they have the small packets of salt/pepper that are given to you upon asking.

In the MDR, salt and pepper have been on the table, at least recently, in their normal shakers.

Thanks. Wasn't sure how that worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Seems like it has hit the "megaships" - over 2500 passengers, in the Caribbean. Haven't heard of any illnesses on the smaller HAL, Celebrity, Oceana, Silversea, Seabourn, etc. Just my observation.

Over on the Regent forum, there was a recent "Live from" thread for a Voyager sailing over the holidays, and it was reported many were having GI issues. I think it can happen on any size ship.

On our last Zuiderdam cruise the staff served ALL FOOD in the buffet but for only the first two days. The theory was that any infection would be gone after that time and folks would learn to wash their hands. They forgot that people get off ships and can pick up germs anywhere. So the 2 day theory is nonsense.

On Oceania Servers serve ALL FOOD at the buffet......a better plan.

Brian

On our last Zuiderdam cruise the staff served ALL FOOD in the buffet but for only the first two days. The theory was that any infection would be gone after that time and folks would learn to wash their hands. They forgot that people get off ships and can pick up germs anywhere. So the 2 day theory is nonsense.

On Oceania Servers serve ALL FOOD at the buffet......a better plan.

Brian

It isn't so much that the infection would be gone but that any infections can be discovered and isolated during the first 48 hours. Also, there is a difference between hundreds or thousands of people initially embarking and after being in close proximity on planes and trains where the virus can be picked up, and the passengers getting off in various ports on excursions. There is not the close proximity with others as there is in planes. Presumably the passengers in close proximity on excursion buses are clear of the virus.

The fact is that HAL does a good job of isolating and limiting the noro virus, and I have to believe that the 48 hour policy helps.

TampaGirl

You surely are joking. Generally Ports anywhere in the World are teeming with people and passengers mix and mingle with them throughout the day.

I have seen many use toilets both onboard and ashore without washing their hands after and touching handles. Equally despite all the hand sanitation units more people ignore them than use them.

Brian

I don't know the figures but if you take the number of ships sailing today times the number of passengers seems like the chance of a norovirus outbreak on your ship is small. I also read the comments from folks being held captive in their rooms and wonder if they started the outbreak.

Edited by Fargo55

TampaGirl

You surely are joking. Generally Ports anywhere in the World are teeming with people and passengers mix and mingle with them throughout the day.

I have seen many use toilets both onboard and ashore without washing their hands after and touching handles. Equally despite all the hand sanitation units more people ignore them than use them.

Brian

Ports may be "teaming" with people, but one is not in a confined, recycled air environment as on a plane. So, no, I was not joking.

For the next few weeks, the media will be in Noro panic. Since the RCL brought Noro back into the limelight, the media will create a frenzy for every outbreak,

Large or small.

IMO, these incidents aren't newsworthy, and shouldn't be reported. Noro is just part of cruising. Just another part of the 24 hour news cycle.

Edited by Typhoon1