New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

I see you deleted your post asking about the press release from HAL saying they modified the policy because of the CC comments and petition.

There may not be a press release to that effect, but on Facebook this was said..."we appreciate all of your time to comment and value your suggestions"

IMHO, that means they were influenced to change the policy because of comments and suggestions. What do you think????

While this does not affect us (we don't bring wine onboard anymore) I am happy that everyone else is happy. :D That said, I hope everyone reads those four little words about embarkation in the new policy - "ONBOARD IN CARRY-ON LUGGAGE." Going forward, I would think HAL will be strict about this part of the policy.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I think I need clarification.

What happens to the Wine Steward when we have a bottle already marked?

Will they get a percentage of the fee directly?

We always like to support the Wine Stewards.

They really add to the overall dining experience.

I see you deleted your post asking about the press release from HAL saying they modified the policy because of the CC comments and petition.

There may not be a press release to that effect, but on Facebook this was said..."we appreciate all of your time to comment and value your suggestions"

IMHO, that means they were influenced to change the policy because of comments and suggestions. What do you think????

I'll answer.... you can take that to the bank.;)

I think I need clarification.

What happens to the Wine Steward when we have a bottle already marked?

Will they get a percentage of the fee directly?

We always like to support the Wine Stewards.

They really add to the overall dining experience.

My understanding was always that a good percentage of the corkage fee went to the wine stewards. I am not sure if it is all or some.

There is no difference now than before as in the past if you took a bottle to the MDR, they happily poured the wine and (I asked) they assured me they were getting their compensation.

Now, I have only taken a couple of bottle to the MDR when we were in Europe. We tend to order their wine in the MDR and drink the wine on our verandah as we sail out of port, but I think it makes no difference as to how it was in the past.;)

where is that dam like button :p;)

While this does not affect us (we don't bring wine onboard anymore) I am happy that everyone else is happy. :D That said, I hope everyone reads those four little words about embarkation in the new policy - "ONBOARD IN CARRY-ON LUGGAGE." Going forward, I would think HAL will be strict about this part of the policy.

Our wine has always been carried on so we are happy campers:D

where is that dam like button :p;)

Our wine has always been carried on so we are happy campers:D

Jacqui - I wasn't worried about you. My comment was directed to those who might stick some bottles in their checked baggage ... or :eek: ... do the "slap a luggage tag on it" routine.

Jacqui - I wasn't worried about you. My comment was directed to those who might stick some bottles in their checked baggage ... or :eek: ... do the "slap a luggage tag on it" routine.

And not forgetting those who "schlep" their cases of wine onboard.:rolleyes::D

And not forgetting those who "schlep" their cases of wine onboard.:rolleyes::D

Well, you CAN get a "carryon" that holds 12 bottles that has wheels. I have one. And have NEVER taken it on a cruise. It does work well for week long family reunions however :D My little six bottle version does just fine for a 14 day cruise.

Now the questions are why didn't HAL come up with this reasonable policy in the first place, and why did it take HAL so long to make the announcement ... :rolleyes:

EXACTLY! I'd love to know the answers to those 2 questions. But at least they made the right decisions in the end.

EXACTLY! I'd love to know the answers to those 2 questions. But at least they made the right decisions in the end.

I'm not letting them off the hook that easily.

This episode has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and that taste has nothing to do with wine that has turned.

Here's a rhetorical question for all those who think the corkage fees are fair:

If you booked 7 days at a resort , say a Marriott in Miami And want to buy some wine to have in your room in the evenings, would you be happy with the $20 corkage fee each time you want to open a bottle?

So, if I embark with no wine, have lunch on the ship, walk off to a wine shop, buy one bottle of wine, am I going to be able to bring it on without paying the corkage?

I don't see why not, except how would they keep track of who has already brought on wine?

This is a matter of what "embarking" means.

If you booked 7 days at a resort , say a Marriott in Miami And want to buy some wine to have in your room in the evenings, would you be happy with the $20 corkage fee each time you want to open a bottle?

No!

So, if I embark with no wine, have lunch on the ship, walk off to a wine shop, buy one bottle of wine, am I going to be able to bring it on without paying the corkage?

I don't see why not, except how would they keep track of who has already brought on wine?

Well, I always thought embarkation was when you first boarded the ship :) but I have been wrong plenty of other times:D

I would be unhappy. I would also be unhappy when the Marriott didn't include all my meals and entertainment. I would also be mad when my hotel room didn't whisk me from place to place. The hotel just sits in one spot. What's up with that?

On the other hand, the ship doesn't have valet parking. No matter how many times we are in port, no one brings our car around. On the plus side, the Marriott's Internet speed is much, much faster. :confused:

Edited by POA1

I am quite sure you would have to pay corkage, if you bring it on AFTER you have officially embarked. I believe the rules are quite clear. HAL doesn't have the time or manpower that first day to record who has brought on wine initially. They only care AFTER, and will charge your onboard account. Can you really picture them recording your 1 free bottle of wine at embarkation? Too much bother. If embarkation didn't mean your first time on the ship, then you would be able to bring on wine at any port, where you "embark" the ship.

Find another mainstream cruiseline that doesn't charge a corkage and we can discuss what's fair. This is fair for mainstream cruiselines, unfortunately.

"We've Only Just Begun,A Kiss For Luck On We're On Our way"