Poll: Intercontinental Beachcomber v. Le Meridian

Bob100

I know most people say that the Beachcomber is THE place to stay in Tahiti, but when I first started researching our trip, I fell in love with photos of the sand bottom pool at le Meridien, and our 2 night pre-stay will be there. I also liked the fact that all of the rooms at le Meridien are facing the lagoon, and the $200 I saved by booking there vs the Beachcomber will buy us a nice dinner to boot!

We stayed at Beachcomber last week for 2 nts. They have a lagoonarium you can snorkel in (free). There were 3 sting rays in there and a lot of fishes, too. A tip (if you are staying there), put some towels at the door to seal the bottom. Little bugs come in from there at night.

As for le Meridien, we drove by, there is a strip mall outside the hotel. But we didn't stop by, so cannot help you.

Just be warn both hotel are far from the downtown, you will need to either rent a car or ride the le truck to get around.

p.s. queen bed in Meridien. King in Beachcomber. If that is important to you.

We're booked for two days pre-cruise through Princess to stay at the ICB, but I'm not deadset committed either, especially considering the prices Princess is gouging me for. So I too wonder where to do the pre...

I stayed at the Le Meriden (sp) some ten years ago. It was OK. The bellboys were quite rude and unhelpful. The rooms were nothing special. Some of the women had their tops off in the pool area, if that affects you in any way. The Sheraton is much nicer. This year I will try the Beachcomber.

John

We are pre-cruise at Le Meridien...didn't even think to look at the Beachcomber. Our agent, as well as several other friends recommended Meridien, so we went with it in an over water bungalow. I'm sure both are great. I mean really, it's Tahiti. How bad can it be? :-)

We are pre-cruise at Le Meridien...didn't even think to look at the Beachcomber. Our agent, as well as several other friends recommended Meridien, so we went with it in an over water bungalow. I'm sure both are great. I mean really, it's Tahiti. How bad can it be? :-)

When are your going? Please post a review of Le Meridien when you get home!

I haven't been to Le Meridian, just the Intercontinental, which is beautiful!! we will be staying ther post cruise again as we did last time. the property is gorgeuos, 2 swimming pools, 2 restaraunts, lots of grounds to walk. http://www.tahitiexplorer.com has a great board to visit to ask for more specific opinions. there is no way I would ever pay what Princess charges. if you can, book your own pre cruise stay. the intercontintal's website is usually the cheapest, and be sure to sign for thier discount membership. we took the ferry to Moorea for 3 nights pre, and had a blast! check out http://www.thetahititraveler.com too.

Hey laurieb! That tahiti-explorer board is great! It's been so helpful planning our trip, as has Jan Prince's Tahiti and FP guide. For anyone looking for extra information and lots of suggestions, those 2 options can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed there last November and could not have been happier. The entire staff was extraordinarily friendly and went out of their way to help us with requests. The room was large and comfortable. The restaurants offered excellent (though typically expensive food). There were shops, restaurants and a grocery store within a 10 minute walk. Absolutely loved the sand-bottomed pool. The beach was decent (not too many great beaches in Tahiti compared to Hawaii) and you can't beat the temperature of the water.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Tahiti and needing a place to stay either pre or post cruise.

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson Plaza Resort? It is rated 5 stars and says it's fairly new. The site looks good, but have read nothing about the hotel. Was looking there for a 2 day stay before our cruise, but just don't know. Did see it on a show the other night and it looked good, but would love find someone who has stayed there before we would book.

I am also wondering about the Radisson and Meridien hotels in Tahiti.

Anyone that has stayed at either recently ( this year ) have any tips for us?

I like a nice pool ( not crowded ), atleast a small, sandy beach, entertainment at resort, a couple of restaurants nearby. Do not need OWB but would like Lagoon/Oceanview with balcony.

HulaGirl and Dog -- We have booked our pre-cruise stay at the Radisson Plaza for November 2005. I, too, would be interested in hearing if anyone else has stayed there pre-cruise. It's a little ways away, but I will post a review when we return.

Kathy

Kathy,

I will be anxious to hear what you think of the Radisson. The pictures look very nice, so hopefully.

Now, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but a week ago they advertised that they were going to Tahiti on the "Average Joe" TV show. So, I had to tune in to see what they showed. Will say the pictures of Tahiti were absolutely beautiful. But what made me take notice was, they stayed at the Radisson. They showed the girl and one of the guys on the rock that is in the middle of the pool that you see on the Radisson web site for Tahiti. Really, the hotel looked beautiful and that was what got us interested in it. I'm thinking that if they used the hotel for the show, and showed scenes around it, then it could be as good as it looks. May not be the best logic, but it was beautiful.

Hoping we hear from someone who has been there, but I've never seen it mentioned before. So Kathy, you may be the first we get to hear from.

Susan

Susan -- I saw the "Average Joe" too. The Radisson Plaza Resort looked fabulous! We booked this for our pre-cruise about 3 weeks ago, so I couldn't believe it when they featured this resort! By the way, I think Anna made the right choice, don't you? :D

Kathy

Kathy,

Well, I just booked the Radisson for 2 nights next year before our cruise. Had my TA price out the Intercontenintal with Princess and on our own, and the Radisson had much better prices. Will be anxious to hear what you think about it in November when you get back.

So glad it wasn't just me that watched the Average Joe show in Tahiti. Now, I did miss the last one. Had every intention to watch it, but forgot until it was over. Which guy did she pick? I will say that I was surprised on one of the ones that she sent away in Tahiti. Would like to know.

Anyway, the hotel is now booked so I do feel good about it. Just waiting for the deviation to open up with Princess for our flights this fall. With all one way flights for us, it is so much cheaper going with them.

Susan

Kootz: Thanks for the information. Since I watched a couple of the shows to see Tahiti, I will admit I was curious who she picked. So glad it was the "average" guy. Interesting since he was one she had eliminated and then picked him again after he had the makeover. So glad to know.

Feel pretty happy about the Radisson reservation. Hopefully it will be as nice as the pictures.

Susan

We're booked for Nov 7, 2006 on Tahitian Princess. We'd like to do a couple of days pre in an OWB. We'll proabably want to book on our own, as Princess is VERY expensive. For those who have booked on their own, how far in advance did you book? It looks like there are options on Papeete and Moorea?

Laurie - can you tell me more about the membership thing at Intercontinental?

I also have a question about transportation. We're thinking using Princess air, with deviation may be the way to go. (We're really not sure about this). I understand the flight is an overnight from LAX. So, if we want to stay Nov 5 & 6, 2006, we'd need to take a flight over there on Nov 4 - is that right?

Cathy: We are also going to be flying with Princess air, but paying for a deviation. The ATN flights are day flights, from what I've seen. Air France has an overnight, but that was pretty much it when I was reasearching this. One ATN leaves around 1:00 PM and then the other around 4 PM. This is a 8 hour flight and Tahiti looks to be in the same time zone as Hawaii. The 1:00 flight gets into Papeete sometime around 6:30 PM, so it gives you the evening at the hotel for the first night.

We decided to book the Radisson yesterday just to hold the price for now. We don't have to pay for it, so nothing to lose. Thought we might as well hold a room for now.

Susan

Archived