Sanctuary fees doubled on Island!

SunPeaks Peter

My wife and I are on the Island Princess right now and were surprised to see that they have doubled the price for The Sanctuary. The cost is $40/ day per person or $20 for half day. If you booked for the entire cruise (as we did) you get it for $30/ day per person. I inquired about these prices as their website (and all posts to this board) clearly state that the prices are half this amount. Their response was that the prices went up for this cruise.

Does anyone know who to contact at Princess to complain about this case of false and mis-leading advertising?

PS. Other than this isolated irritant, the cruise is absolutely fantastic. Calm seas, sunny skies, excellent service.

My wife and I are on the Island Princess right now and were surprised to see that they have doubled the price for The Sanctuary. The cost is $40/ day per person or $20 for half day. If you booked for the entire cruise (as we did) you get it for $30/ day per person. I inquired about these prices as their website (and all posts to this board) clearly state that the prices are half this amount. Their response was that the prices went up for this cruise.

Does anyone know who to contact at Princess to complain about this case of false and mis-leading advertising?

PS. Other than this isolated irritant, the cruise is absolutely fantastic. Calm seas, sunny skies, excellent service.

They have the right to raise prices. :(

One thing that I'm still trying to find out is whether the $40/pp/day for the "whole" cruise includes the Canal transit day. Last year, you booked for the whole cruise but it didn't include Canal transit day which was another $70 or so. If the current "whole" cruise includes that day, then it's not as bad as it appears.

There have been a lot of posts on here as to just how popular the Sanctuary is and how difficult it has been for some people to get into. I have a nice large balcony on my suite with very comfortable furnature so I have never used it. Maybe its a simple case of supply and demand. If a manufacturer keeps selling out of widgets at a hundred bucks then the price goes up to 150 to maximize profits. If widgets don't sell at 150 the price goes back down to 100 and nothing lost especially if widgets are in high demand like seats in the Sanctuary appear to be. Princess (Carnival)is a publically traded company and like all companies is trying to make the most money possible and maximize the return to their share holders. That's my economic theory.

There have been a lot of posts on here as to just how popular the Sanctuary is and how difficult it has been for some people to get into.

Exactly. Raise the price until everyone who wishes to purchase

can do so.

And, the goal is not to fill every seat in the sanctuary, the goal

is to maximize revenue.

So, if they previously sold 20 seats at $20, they only need to

sell 10 or more at $40 and come out ahead.

I think some people here want it both ways.

Hmm, really thought I posted regarding this yesterday.

I am just off the Emerald Princess and was told by the Sanctuary Manager that the price for the Sanctuary was doubled effective February 7th. That would make it $270 for the 10 day cruise. It was $135. The Sanctuary is not open on Embarkation day on the Emerald. They hinted it was happening on all Princess ships, but they weren't certain of the effective dates. They also believed that the price for Crown Grill and Sabatini's would be going up as well at a slightly later date.

My issue is not complaining so much about the price, although it is fairly steep, it is that Princess is still advertising it at the old rates on their website. That is false and mis-leading.

Why not change their prices at the end of the season before they switch to the Alaska schedule.

The canal day is still extra. I think he said $60.

Yep. Heard back from my friend today... it has infact doubled and an added $60 for the canal day..

"We managed to get one of the gazebos in the Sanctuary. They have raised the price to $40 per day, $20 per half day, and $30 per day if you buy the entire trip. THEN, if you want to be in there for Panama, that's an additional $60. "

I bet she was! At lunch, she was seated with the sun at her back and she basked in the warmth. Believe it or not, it got too hot after about an hour. :) Thank god they were able to change their flights!

Yes, they were lucky. She said the lady that booked their Columbia tour didn't make it :(

First, let me say I have never used the sanctuary. At these new prices, I can safely say I never will. I understand the cruise lines are in business to make money, but I think there are limits to what is reasonable. There are lines other than Princess where passengers can expect to be pampered more and receive more personal attention because the ships are smaller and carry fewer people. Passengers also pay more for that privilege.

We sail Princess because we love the itineraries, the ships, and the crews have always been wonderful. However, I have no desire to cruise on a ship with different classes of service, whether it is based on where one's cabin is located, or how much extra money one is willing to spend onboard. Where does this end? Next, will we be able to pay a crew member to follow us around all day, waiting just on us while ignoring other passengers? "Our" crew member could go to the pool deck at 6 a.m. to save us lounges until we show up at noon to use them! Why not? We would be paying for it. Or maybe the ship could just hold an auction every morning to sell spaces in the sanctuary. Who knows? Maybe on canal day, they could get $500 for a lounge there. Obviously, I'm exaggerating (a little.)

Many of us cruise because it is one of the great vacation bargains still available. If you want to be treated like you're the only one on the ship (more or less), there are lines where you can do that. Please don't make me feel like a second class passenger on Princess just because I can't/won't pay extra for service I believe I'm already paying for.

Some people go to the spa, some get massages, some book full suites, some book the Chef's Table, some take the Ultimate Ship's Tour and some book the Sanctuary. It's your choice. Nothing more "privileged" about these nor do any of them make someone who doesn't book them a second class passenger. There's really no difference between being pampered at a dinner or pampered during the day. The vast majority of passengers have a great cruise without booking the Sanctuary. There are other places to find a lounger in a quiet place on most Princess ships.

Edited by Pam in CA

Economics 101, Supply and Demand

The price increases are related to the demand, as long as there is a fixed supply.

It would happen to any other commodity that you pay extra on if the demand is more than the supply can offer. I bet a beer would cost a lot more if they were only allowed to stock 2000 a cruise.

As long as people are willing to pay the price, and they still sell out they will keep increasing the prices, if they notice on one cruise they only sell a few day passes I bet they will be announcing discounts on the patter after a few days.

You can complain all you like, but as long as someone is willing to pay the prices, and they are making good money on it, it won't change, it may even get more expensive.

The only way they will really listen is when they notice a drop in sales

As long as enough people feel they 'managed to get one' at the

new price, it was an excellent decision by princess.

Well yes and no. That email was from a skin cancer survivor so having somewhere in the shade is of upmost importance to the enjoyment of her cruise and obviously she's willing to pay for that. Time will tell if Princess has made an excellent decision.