Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi all

I am new to both these baords and to cruising. we are planning a trip to Asia in March 2006 and are booking the Super Star Virgo 5 night cruise.

Has anyone been on this ship?

We are taking our 20 month old son with us- any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The SuperStar Virgo is a sister to ship of the Norwegian Spirit, which was formally the SuperStar Leo. The Virgo is the pride of StarCruises fleet. Having spent some time in Singapore, I'm sure you'll love your cruise.

I cruised Alaska on the Norwegian Spirit. I'm sure the Virgo is just as nice as the Spirit. Most of the orginal crew of the Spirit were shipmates of the Leo. They will work hard to pamper you.

Although my time in Singapore was over a decade ago, I do wish to return. The area is lovely....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi little poppett,

I am originally from New York, but have been working and living in Taiwan for twenty years.

Since Star Cruises first started, about twelve years ago, I have sailed all their ships, past and present, countless times.

Virgo is a fantastic ship. A perfect size. Her decor is bright and bold with many Asian touches. The crew/staff hail from many nations and they are all warm, friendly and eager to please. They are good!

I am in the restaurant/bar business and I can honestly say that the food aboard Virgo is fine, in all the inclusive outlets. I favor the Bella Vista Dining Room. There are other a la carte' restaurants onboard such as The Taj, which has very fine Indian food. This outlet has won awards, by the way.

Then there is Bellini for fine Italian food.

The cabins, while not huge, are perfectly adequate and comfortable in all cabin categories. You will not find yourself bumping into each other. If you are booking a "balcony cabin," try to get one on Deck 10 or 9. The cabins on Deck 11 are directly under the pool area, and at times you can hear furniture moving around. But, this was no big bother to me.

The Lido Theatre is fantastic. Their current production show "Sorpresa" is not to be missed!

I think of Virgo, as well as some other ships in Star's fleet, "my home away from home." To me Virgo gets better each time I sail aboard her.

If you have any other questions, please ask and I will do my best to give you answers.

I KNOW you will have a great cruise.

Regards,

Mike--currently in TaiShan,China, and sailing Star Pisces 02 Sept.

• 2 weeks later...
we are planning a trip to Asia in March 2006 and are booking the Super Star Virgo 5 night cruise.

Suggest you read, if you have not already done so, my review on the Virgo http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=6832

I loved her - but we were spoilt and were in the best suites. She is a fantastic ship, always spotlessly clean, and we would love to go on her again.

Hi Mike,

I read ur post & thought you could help me with something. I plan to do the star virgo cruise with my aged parents late november, but can't decide whether we shd do balcony class or not. How big is the balcony? Is it open or covered all round by glass panes? Is it worth spending that much extra for the balcony?

Regards,

Swati

Hi Mike,

How big is the balcony? Is it open or covered all round by glass panes? Is it worth spending that much extra for the balcony?

IMHO it is always worth having a balcony. Of course the size varies as to the class of cabin. They are open but a couple can easily sit on them. My cousin's boyfriend even proposed on one knee on one!

Hi Swati,

I think the balcony's are worth the extra money. While they are not huge, they are comfortable for two people to sit and relax. They are narrow, but two chairs and a table are provided. Plus, there are some extra perks that go with having a balcony cabin.

Yes, the "SORPRESA" show is absolutely outstanding. With a balcony cabin you have priority seating on the upper level of The Lido showroom. Nice and comfy seating.

Go for it!

Regards,

Mike--just off the Star Pisces

Hi, I'm new to these boards and I hope I posted this in the right place. We are planning a cruise on the Virgo next year but we are undecided if to take the kids with us (aged 7 and 12). I have been on a few websites and read reviews about kids activities, but I'm more confused than before. Hopefully someone out there can help, any information will be appreciated.

Is there a charge for all kids activities?

Are the kids allowed to eat with their parents or do they have to adhere to set dinner times?

Are they allowed to watch the shows eg. at the Lido?

Are they allowed to use the pool with their parents?

Thanking you in advance

Hi Doubletrouble in Oz,

By all means take your kids. There are plenty of activities for them. Yes, they can eat with you if you choose.

Below find a link to Star Cruises kids activities. Lot's for them to do.

Also if you check their homepage website, you can sign them up in the Star Cruisers Kid Program.

http://www.starkidsclub.com/Program/Virgo/index.html

You adults and the kids alike will really like Virgo!

Regards,

Mike--in Taipei

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I did check the link and it sounds fantastic. Looks like the kids are definitely kept busy onboard! I have read however that the kids are not permitted in the Parthenon pool. Is this true? Also, do you know if they are allowed to watch the show at the Lido? My 7 yeard old daughter is crazy about all the stuff (future crew member?)

Cheers

Justine

Hi Justine,

Yes, the activities for kids are great. And I have heard comments that the kids counselors are fantastic.

The Parthenon Pool is ADULTS ONLY. They are strict about this.

But I'll tell you something,,,,,,,,I myself enjoy sitting around "Neptune's Wet and Wild" kids pool and area. It is superb. Also the view aft from this area is great. Kids love it here. Guess I'm a kid-at-heart!

You can however, have a quick walk through of the Parthenon Pool with your kids, just don't linger there.

Children are allowed in The Lido. They have every right to see the shows just as we do. But out of consideration for other passengers, make sure they're quiet during the show. Your kids will be mesmerized, as will you too, by the "Sorpresa" show. I have been there, done that on many cruise ships, but this show is truly outstanding.

Take the cruise with all your family and just relax and enjoy. Odds are, you won't see too much of the kids anyway. They'll be far too busy.

I can't tell you how many times I have been aboard SSV. And I still look forward to my next and next.

Have a great cruise!

Best regards,

Mike

Justine it is my pleasure to help you in any way I can.

Very glad to hear that you are booking the cruise tomorrow. I can be certain that all of you will have a great cruise.

Which cruise/itinerary are you sailing?

Please tell us all about it on your return.

If you need any more help, just ask.

Ciao,

Mike

Leaving Singapore on July 16th,Singapore, Phuket, Lankgawi, Singapore, Port Klang, Singapore. Splashing out on balcony cabins.

Justine - if you are interested a few pics of our cruise are on this site - just so you can see how awesome she is! http://community.webshots.com/album/220405302zHmstM

Hope you enjoy her! I spent a month down in WA [Fremantle] in March so have enjoyed many bottles of HWB in recent months! Cheers...

Justine Hi,

Regarding your question about booking the Jr.Suite, an answer is difficult give, because it boils down to personal preferences. But let me give you my take on it.

All balcony cabins are 20.4 sq. meters.

The Jr. Suites range in size from 44.1 to 47.4 sq. meters

So there is an average size diference of 27 sq. meters let's say.

Yes, without a doubt the Jr. Suite is much more luxurious. Although you will have a seperate bedroom and the kids will sleep in the living room area, there is only one bathroom for all of you to share. But it is quite a large and beautiful room.

Now, if you book 2 connecting balcony cabins, you will have a total space area of 80.8 sq. meters and TWO bathrooms. Sure, you can keep the interior connecting door open and almost make it like one big suite, but not really.

Plus, if your kids are well behaved enough and trustworthy, you can close the door at night and have complete privacy from them. They may even enjoy their "own freedom." You also can close of the bedroom of the Jr. Suite as well, but it's not really the same privacy, as the bathroom is entered through the bedroom.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts to ponder. I hope I helped rather than make you more confused and undecided.

If it's luxury you want, then go for the suite. Also, if you are very sociable, the suite is a great place to entertain new friends. But the balcony cabins are perfectly nice.

No matter which you choose, you will love Virgo and be happy with either accommodations.

Ciao,

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. We were planning on booking 2 connecting balcony rooms......or maybe, 1 junior suite and a connecting balcony room. We travel regularly with the kids, and for the past 2 years we have been asking for family/connecting rooms at the hotels. We find the extra cost well worth, as the kids get older and 4 individuals in 1 room leads to a lot of friction and a much less enjoyable holiday!

I'm leaning towards the 2 balconies, and the money we save we can spend it on board or on excursions. I don't plan to spend too much time in the cabin and I'm sure the kids will be up and away first thing in the morning.

Whatever happens, I'm going to have a ball!:D

Cheers,

Justine

hi mike saw this reply to justine. We are going on the virgo this sun 16th oct with our 5 kids flying in from australia. Do you know the cost of the childrens activities and do they have any babysitting at night in cabins or what is the go??Our kids are aged 4-13, and how do we know what is on every day, activity wise, for the kids, thank you for your help, regards rose

Hi Rose,

To my knowledge, Childcare is free of charge. Now this is what I heard. I personally do not have any "angels." One lady said to me, that she was going to "drug" one of the Childcare supervisors and smuggle her back home.

Now, I guess that is saying something for the care and concern of the kids.

Go back up the message posts and find my link to the kid care sign-up stuff.

Yes, Virgo absolutely has babysitting services at extra charge.(Don't know how much,but,,,reasonable) I know for fact, as a fantastic young couple liked being with me (the older advisor) and we proceeded to deplete the "The Taverna" (top deck--fantastic--and outdoors) of beer. I asked about her kid, and she said Mother Teresa is in the cabin with her now. I said "you're not worried? she said "not with her in charge!"

So, yeah, go have a blast,,,,,,,,,leave the kids to do "kid" stuff feel 100% safe with leaving them in the care of Star Cruises' staff.

While you're at it,,,,,,,,,,,have a pint for me ok?

Happy, happy sailing with SSV.

Regards,

Mike

hi mike thanks for the quick reply!! Sounds like we could do with a mother teresa, hope we find one!!! my husband will have a pint or 2 or 3 etc for you, but i only enjoy a wine or 3 preferably a chardonnay, do they have any nice wines on board, regards rose

Archived