The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Thanks for the great information! This may be a dumb question. I would love to go Sapphire Beach and while I would prefer a restroom, I can make do. Are there taxis available there for the return trip? I am just trying to avoid being left in paradise!

Not a dumb question at all. Now that the public restrooms and dive center are not open there are not as many day visitors going to Sapphire and so not as many taxis stopping there.

I thing you would be able to have the Banana Cabana call you a taxi if you had a lunch from there, and you could always flag a taxi at the entrance or perhaps even get lucky and see the $1 bus stop there.

No good answers sorry, but I'm sure you'll get a ride back, just leave extra time for wiggle room.

Quick question to go along with Coki beach, sounds like when you're dropped off you're kind of "introduced" to someone who will end up being your server, but is there a better restaurant to choose to go to that you wouldn't want to be tied to that server? Anyone know how that works? Would love fresh seafood and frozen drinks! :-)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

Edited by wintersmybaby

big al: Bluebeard's Castle doesn't have a beach. Do you mean Bluebeard's Beach Club? Not a big snorkeling stop, anyway.

Your Coki and Coral World idea is great. Snorkeling, beach, food and drink as well as the critters of Coral World and showers... An entire package.:)

Thanks!! Sounds like I chose right!

Big Al, Coki and CW is an excellent idea for your day! The Castle and historic area are worth seeing in my opinion but since we've done that we head for Paradise Point to enjoy the view over cocktails. But be sure to enjoy your beach time since the STT beaches are beautiful, and if time allows maybe head back to BB or PP for a bit.

Enjoy!

Thanks again Blue Water! I think that sounds like the best choice for both couples....and BB or PP if we can...can't wait!!!

Big Al

Quick question to go along with Coki beach, sounds like when you're dropped off you're kind of "introduced" to someone who will end up being your server, but is there a better restaurant to choose to go to that you wouldn't want to be tied to that server? Anyone know how that works? Would love fresh seafood and frozen drinks! :-)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

Yes the driver may hook you up with his friend/relative or you will simply be approached by vendors renting chairs, etc as you get out of the taxi. No real difference who you rent from, and you can choose from any of the shacks there for food and drink.

You can just scope out the beach and then go to the vendor you "like" best too.

Thanks Blue Water! I am just nervous about missing the ship. We aren't sailing until Sept so who knows, maybe the dive shop will be back open.

Very understandable, but I think if you want to go to Sapphire and just give yourself a little extra time you will be fine just by waiting for the $1 bus even. But there are other great choices between STT and STJ.

Have a great cruise.

Blue_Water, do any of the STT beaches go out quite a ways at only waist deep, and possibly with firm sand in the water? This will sound weird but I can't swim, am terrified of water, but do like to be in clear, shallow water at a firm-bottomed beach (where it's not constantly shifting under my feet so I fall). The place I truly love is Half Moon Cay because I am comfortable being in that water! There, the water is so gentle and you can walk out on almost flat bottom quite a ways. Great for those of us who are water-phobic.

I will be in STT for the first time this fall and trying to locate a beach with similar characteristics so I can actually get in the water!

Thank you for any help you can give about this! :)

Thank you, O2B@Cagain and blue_water. It sounds like Magens will be for me! Probably there first thing, then do Paradise Point in the afternoon.

So, now that STT is planned, do either of you know if there is a similar beach (gentle and flat entry) on St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and Barbados? Those are our ports for our fall trip---Valor from San Juan. I've never been to any of these and thankfully have a lot of time to get info!

Thanks in advance! :)

LaRose

You will find great help on those forums, of course, and these same forums on tripadvisor are an even better source if info as well.

Some ideas -

For St Kitts South Frigate Bay is a nice calm beach popular with locals on weekends, while Sandy Bank Bay is an unusually calm beach on the Atlantic side with a more secluded romantic area. For St Lucia Rodney Bay is a good option close to port. For St Matrin Orient Bay (OB wouldn't be our first choice because it's busier like Magens but probably a good choice for your interests), and for Barbados we like Brandon's Beach on Barbados, home of the Cockspur Beach Club which was the Malibu beach club. They may still offer a tour through the rum distillery. A slight drop as you first enter but a gorgeous beach. You can taxi or the ship may still offer an excursion here as "Malibu Beach".

The few visitors to Sapphire of the ships that I have talked with have been very disappointed with their visit to Sapphire. I don't think they realized or were told how little there is available now. In the past there was wait staff working the beach for food and drink orders, paddle boards, wind surfers, snorkel gear, chairs, and a bathroom.

All of that is gone now. It can take forever to get a hot dog or drink. Taxis are no longer readily available to take you back and there are no public phones to call for one. There is no place to get out of the rain when one of the quick showers hit. The beach is tested for water quality and if cruise ship people are peeing near shore in the water the beach may well be closed.

Sapphire is a nice place to stay but you can have a much nicer visit at one of the many other beaches on the island

"Sapphire is a nice place to stay but you can have a much nicer visit at one of the many other beaches on the island"

Agreed, many other beaches are very nice and offer the amenities and restrooms that are a necessity for a day visit.

This is a great help! Thank you! My only question now is, once I decide which beach, how would you experienced St. Thomas people recommend we book transport to the beaches? Carnival does not seem to offer very many options on their shore excursion list, so I'm trying to plan something on my own but I have never cruised before so I know I could really screw this up. Thanks for any advice you can offer me! (Family of 4 with 2 teens, traveling JUNE 7th... 21 days!) :)

I took this excursion last year off the Jewel of the Seas and really enjoyed it. The boat ride over was narrated and interesting and the scenery was amazing. The rum punch on the way back was super and all in all it was a fantastic excursion. You will love St Johns!

Hello... I'm sorry if I missed this, but what is the name of the excursion you are referring to? It sounds like one or two we are considering, except that it sounds longer. I'm wondering if it is one that is available to us and I am hoping to book tonight. If I know the name I will be able to see if it's one I can possibly book. Thanks for your help! :)

This is a great help! Thank you! My only question now is, once I decide which beach, how would you experienced St. Thomas people recommend we book transport to the beaches? Carnival does not seem to offer very many options on their shore excursion list, so I'm trying to plan something on my own but I have never cruised before so I know I could really screw this up. Thanks for any advice you can offer me! (Family of 4 with 2 teens, traveling JUNE 7th... 21 days!) :)

You will see taxis stationed at the dock and a taxi coordinator will direct you to a taxi going to your choice of beach like Coki if you want to snorkel. Fare is $18pp roundtrip from Havensight, perhaps $$ from Crown.

We are seriously considering coki beach for our upcoming cruise in June. I believe there will only be 3 cruise ships docked the day we are there. I have seen some crazy pictures of crowds at coki. Will it be outrageous with only 3 ships in port?

Edited by maja651

May not be outrageously crowded, but it will definitely be busy since it's one of the 2 popular snorkel beaches. But for a gorgeous beach that would be a good choice that day.

Thanks!

So the only issue/decision I am debating for our group is the crowd issue. My mom does not like crowded beaches. We first considered Brewers, but that won't work because she needs a chair rental. That also knocks out Saphhire beach. Then we considered Lindbergh beach, but it just seems like Coki will be so much nicer. What is your opinion? Does the beauty of Coki versus Lindbergh justify the crowds? Are there more activities for teens on Coki? Do they have places to rent snorkel equipment at Coki? My nephews, 16 and 18 will also be with us and they are not the sitting in the chair at the beach types. Would Coki be better for them? Or, do you suggest something else?

Bottom line, I am looking for a not too crowded beach that has chair and umbrella rentals, food,drinks and activities for teens. Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert by any means but that's a tough one on STT, and everyone wants the same things.

Yes we would choose Coki over Lindbergh (thanks for using the correct name! :p

for a much nicer beach

for the snorkeling option

for a variety of food and drink and rental options

for a more lively vibe which the teens will enjoy more

for access to Coral World if desired

I'm sure others would recommend Lindbergh for a less crowded experience and that can be a good option for that reason. But it will be somewhat busy and there is no snorkeling and the kids would be bored methinks.

I would avoid Magens and Honeymoon Beach on Water Island because of how busy them become, and as you said Sapphire is out. So the only other option is Secret Harbor which has chairs, snorkel gear, good snorkeling, a restaurant, and restrooms.

Coki will be a busier vibe but I think it is the nicest beach on STT (other than Sapphire). So Coki makes great sense - enjoy! :)

I'm not an expert by any means but that's a tough one on STT, and everyone wants the same things.

Yes we would choose Coki over Lindbergh (thanks for using the correct name! :p

for a much nicer beach

for the snorkeling option

for a variety of food and drink and rental options

for a more lively vibe which the teens will enjoy more

for access to Coral World if desired

I'm sure others would recommend Lindbergh for a less crowded experience and that can be a good option for that reason. But it will be somewhat busy and there is no snorkeling and the kids would be bored methinks.

I would avoid Magens and Honeymoon Beach on Water Island because of how busy them become, and as you said Sapphire is out. So the only other option is Secret Harbor which has chairs, snorkel gear, good snorkeling, a restaurant, and restrooms.

Coki will be a busier vibe but I think it is the nicest beach on STT (other than Sapphire). So Coki makes great sense - enjoy! :)

Thank you so very much! You truly have helped me a lot! My family depends on me to make our vacations fabulous so I do all of the research, etc. before our trips. You have just made one more day of my planning done! :) :D

Thank you so very much! You truly have helped me a lot! My family depends on me to make our vacations fabulous so I do all of the research, etc. before our trips. You have just made one more day of my planning done! :) :D

It takes quite a bit of time and effort to plan an entire itinerary on your own, so I hope you are able to kick back and relax at Coki and at your other destinations - happy cruising!