Room service ...?

Hi everybody, we are from the UK and cruise usually with UK based lines P and O , Fred Olsen and Thomson.

We cruised with HAL On a back to back Jan 2013.

I read all the forums and and find it very interesting that on the so called UK lines nobody ever considers room service yet on the USA lines it always seems important.

We have cruised for the last six years and I have never met anybody who thought about room service for meals.

To us it seems totally unbelievable to go on a cruise and eat meals in your cabin.

Not decrying it just wondering maybe it is different mind set.

Suppose it could be that our ships tend not to have as many balconies.

Anyway...it was just a thought as I was reading the forums.

Happy cruising

For me, one of the pleasures of cruising is to enjoy the luxury of having breakfast, or maybe just a coffee and juice, delievered to my stateroom in the morning. No one does that for me when I am at home.

My traveling companion really enjoys having an occasional lunch delivered. Rarely have I done that except when returning from a long, hot shore excursion and I am really worn out. It is a nice touch to have that available.

Never have had dinner delivered through Room Service inasmuch as I enjoy the service and attention of my dining room stewards. Plus, I enjoy conversing with my tablemates.

I'm also from the UK but I did get quite excited about room service breakfasts....probably because in UK hotels room service is such an expensive option and also because I liked the idea of breakfast in bed everyday :D

It was my Hubby that pointed out that in 4 years of marriage he'd never seen me eat breakfast and suddenly because I was on a ship I was ordering it ...

In Bronte Country, near Haworth.

In fact if you watch the. "Old" Railway Children film, with Jenny Agutter, our house is just out of shot at Oakworth Station........

Just remembered we did have room service once on Fred Olsen cruise. It was a birthday celebration with champagne, lobster, eggs Benedict etc. not the same tho in an inside cabin....:-) still fantastic tho.

We also cruise with friends so I suppose if we were by ourselves it may be an option for room service......

I agree Copper 10-8! Breakfast on a warm, sunny balcony . . . just luxurious and indulgent. Even if we then go have a second breakfast elsewhere!

Another room service favorite of ours: club sandwiches mid-afternoon. Not available elsewhere on the ship! Very nice, returning from a strenuous shore excursion, hungry.

Or milk and cookies to nibble while reading out on the balcony.

We don't use room service a lot when we have an ocean-view cabin; it is a little crowded for the room service tray.

Edited by Spinner2

A friend and I just returned from a Carnival cruise and used room service for breakfast twice. I really missed HAL- no hot food for breaky and a very limited menu for dinner.

I've also ordered lunch after a long shore excursion since it's so nice to just rest in the quiet with a sandwich and a cup of tea.

Shar

From all your replies, it's obvious we are missing out.

Next cruise let's give it a go......:-)

Given that it costs you nothing extra, what do you have to loose?

A FYI: a small gratuity is approriate for the Steward that serves you. I usually offer $1.00/person, unless it is a large order.

Edited by rkacruiser

I don't really like room service because the lingering food smells bother me, but I do enjoy a continental-type breakfast without the hassle of the Lido on days when I have an early shore excursion.

The tip I read here to specify chocolate croissants was one of the best things I've read.

Ohh, and one more tip, if you want sugar for your rice krispies, you have to indicate that. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I didn't have the sugar from those and the unsweetened cereal was not accompanied by any.

I don't really like room service because the lingering food smells bother me, but I do enjoy a continental-type breakfast without the hassle of the Lido on days when I have an early shore excursion.

The tip I read here to specify chocolate croissants was one of the best things I've read.

Ohh, and one more tip, if you want sugar for your rice krispies, you have to indicate that. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I didn't have the sugar from those and the unsweetened cereal was not accompanied by any.

Good suggestion that you list everything that you want, sugar/cream/salt/pepper, etc. Usually it is on the tray; sometimes not. One can get a feel as to what one needs to do after the first tray is delivered.

Hi everybody, we are from the UK and cruise usually with UK based lines P and O , Fred Olsen and Thomson.

We cruised with HAL On a back to back Jan 2013.

I read all the forums and and find it very interesting that on the so called UK lines nobody ever considers room service yet on the USA lines it always seems important.

We have cruised for the last six years and I have never met anybody who thought about room service for meals.

To us it seems totally unbelievable to go on a cruise and eat meals in your cabin.

Not decrying it just wondering maybe it is different mind set.

Suppose it could be that our ships tend not to have as many balconies.

Anyway...it was just a thought as I was reading the forums.

Happy cruising

Many years ago before HAL had the Neptune Lounge on ships for those of who sailed in the PS, S, SA, SB and SC cabins we used to order breakfast so that we would be ready for excursions and not standing in long lines. We had quite a few bad experiences. We tried the club sandwich one time when we got back late from an excursion -- many people recommended -- it was horrible. Also tried the cheese plate -- barely could see the 4 tiny pieces of cheese on it. Never tried dinner.

So -- for at least 10 years or more we have ordered nothing to the cabin and have no intension to do so.

I also can not understand why people wish to dine in their cabins.

The room service breakfast on your balcony in the Caribbean is the best. Imagine this scene - the ship is anchored at Half Moon Cay and you are looking out at this little piece of paradise from your balcony. There's a knock at your door and the wonderful room service stewart delivers trays and asks you where you would like it set up. On the balcony, of course.

You and your partner sit down to and slowly start removing the stainless steel covers. Scrambled eggs with bacon and sausage and fruit for you, eggs bene and hash browns for your partner. All on HAL's china, of course. Freshly squeezed orange juice and a stainless steel carafe of freshly perked coffee await. You reach for the china cups and pour your partner and yourself a hot cup of java and finish them off with coffee cream. Your partner asks what's in the basket with the towel and you look and find an assortment of fresh croissants and pastries, all with fresh butter and jams for your enjoyment. Another covered plate has sliced fresh fruit, and of course, your cutlery is wrapped in linen napkins.

And BTW - that is just the "lite" version. You can add or take away as much as you like. Honestly, every time we have it, I think that life doesn't get much better than this. And yes, we will be having it again on our Alaska cruise and I don't care what the temperature on the balcony is.

Edited by cbr663

The room service breakfast on your balcony in the Caribbean is the best. Imagine this scene - the ship is anchored at Half Moon Cay and you are looking out at this little piece of paradise from your balcony. There's a knock at your door and the wonderful room service stewart delivers trays and asks you where you would like it set up. On the balcony, of course.

You and your partner sit down to and slowly start removing the stainless steel covers. Scrambled eggs with bacon and sausage and fruit for you, eggs bene and hash browns for your partner. All on HAL's china, of course. Freshly squeezed orange juice and a stainless steel carafe of freshly perked coffee await. You reach for the china cups and pour your partner and yourself a hot cup of java and finish them off with coffee cream. Your partner asks what's in the basket with the towel and you look and find an assortment of fresh croissants and pastries, all with fresh butter and jams for your enjoyment. Another covered plate has sliced fresh fruit, and of course, your cutlery is wrapped in linen napkins.

And BTW - that is just the "lite" version. You can add or take away as much as you like. Honestly, every time we have it, I think that life doesn't get much better than this. And yes, we will be having it again on our Alaska cruise and I don't care what the temperature on the balcony is.

Thanks; now my mouth is watering! :)

Many years ago before HAL had the Neptune Lounge on ships for those of who sailed in the PS, S, SA, SB and SC cabins we used to order breakfast so that we would be ready for excursions and not standing in long lines. We had quite a few bad experiences. We tried the club sandwich one time when we got back late from an excursion -- many people recommended -- it was horrible. Also tried the cheese plate -- barely could see the 4 tiny pieces of cheese on it. Never tried dinner.

So -- for at least 10 years or more we have ordered nothing to the cabin and have no intension to do so.

Many people wish to dine in their cabins because the food can be quite tasty as reported in dozens of previous posts on this site. Sorry to see that a bad experience with a Club Sandwich and a Cheeseplate more that ten years ago has soured you on room service. Will a bad dining experience in the MDR stop you from going there?

Another room service favorite of ours: club sandwiches mid-afternoon. Not available elsewhere on the ship! Very nice, returning from a strenuous shore excursion, hungry..

Agree! When returning from a shore excursion without the chance to eat much for lunch, those club sandwiches hit the spot! :)

HAL does very good job with room service hot breakfasts. To us, the best of any cruise line.

LuLu

~~~~

We normally order room service breakfast on those mornings when our tours start before you can get breakfast in the MDR. Avoids the rush and quite relaxing :D

We also do the odd room service menu when we return late and have missed lunch and have certainly had a dinner once in a while in the room. Sometimes it's a special occasion - sometimes we just don't feel like doing formal or whatever after a long day - not that often - but a change is as good as a rest :D

Room service is one of the things that we like about HAL. Granted you need room to do it - but as long as you have a verandah - you can certainly enjoy it if you choose to do so :D

It's one of the nice options on HAL - you don't have to do it - but it's a nice option. and for the record, our food has always been hot (if it should be) and quite edible:D

Many people wish to dine in their cabins because the food can be quite tasty as reported in dozens of previous posts on this site. Sorry to see that a bad experience with a Club Sandwich and a Cheeseplate more that ten years ago has soured you on room service. Will a bad dining experience in the MDR stop you from going there?

Fear the Indian! ;)

Because your day is always better when you start it by eating bacon while not wearing pants. :D (Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

Because your day is always better when you start it by eating bacon while not wearing pants. :D (Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

I love bacon -- but it has to be really crispy.

The one time we ordered the club sandwiches, the bacon was cold and only half cooked. The tomatoes were mostly green -- we like red-ripe ones. That is just us -- I know food is subjective and maybe others like their food that way.