beshears

Freedom of the Seas - "top" points you liked

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

We are boarding the FOS tomorrow (1st time for us too) for western Caribbean so I will be happy to report back in a week for you!!

From what I read, it doesn't disappoint!!

:)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

My family of hubby and I and 3 young adult children and new son-in-law (ages 21-48) just did the FOS in Sept . My hubby and the boys got hooked on the flow-rider! Spent hours there I can't say we had any complaints, but we aren't too hard to please either. It was the SIL first cruise and I think he's hooked on cruising too! We always enjoy the evening shows also, I can't remember the broadway show we watched, but the stage backdrops was quite impressive!

Best tip I can think about is to eat in the promenade cafe or Sorrentos on embarkation day. It was very quiet and relaxing. DH ran up to the Windjammer just to grab some different drinks, but it was a madhouse up there.

Also, when it is time for the parade, sit outside the pub about 30 minutes before. It was a great place for us to see the parade.

You can also look into this thread. It started long ago, but if you work your way back from the last page, you can get a lot of info. Enjoy your cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=737295&page=124

We were on FOS in December for our honeymoon and it was ALL amazing. Just make sure not to do Johnny Rockets on the same day as a specialty dining experience. We were SOOOO overstuffed. We did JR on a port day so it wasn't crowded at all. We had no interest in Falmouth so we enjoyed a mostly empty ship and it was wonderful :) Enjoy!

Took our five grandkids on Fos. There was so much activities for the kids. We saw them for dinner each night. Rest of the time they were on their own to enjoy the kids programs. Oldest grandson hung out at flow rider most of the week so he could perfect his surfing skills.

The ice show is a must do if you have never done one. We have seen it

four times now, but is always a good show! ;)

The Viking crown lounge is a quiet and nice place to relax with a cup

of coffee in the morning and watch the main part of the open deck.

Great place during sea days, and nice way to get out of any bad

weather to still enjoy the view!

BTW: I am boarding in the morning also! ;)

Edited by island lady

Hi! Please excuse this if it has been posted: does anyone have a link to the FOS menus? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My vote for best kept secret on FoS:

Vintages does a wine pairing dinner pretty much every night. The food is a selection of the MDR menu, but they do some very well thought out (and fairly generous) wine pours for each course. If memory serves, it was about $50/person plus gratuity, but it was very enjoyable, and the wines were very good. You sign up for it at Vintages, on the Promenade.

We loved the crew on FOS. It was by far one of our best experiences so far.

Agree 100% - the crew are amazing on freedom and made our holidays extra special :D. I'm sure you will love it! Beautiful ship!

Our favorite cruise ship by far! We never lacked in activities. I will list a couple of my favorites and my wife's favorites too. Just as a base, we are early 40's.

Mine:

Flowrider

Rock wall

sport contests - ping pong, rock climbing, etc

Promenade people watching

My secret favorite - golf simulator, who would have thought I could play Pebble Beach in the middle of the caribbean

Wife:

Relaxing at pool - telling me not to get hurt climbing the rock wall

Relaxing at Flowrider - watching me wipe out in spectacular fashion

Relaxing on balcony

You get the idea

To sum up...lots to do if you want to be active...lots to do watching people be active...lots to do not doing anything.

Have a great cruise, I'm a little jealous. Wish I was going too.

Robinola - is that thru RCCI or did you book that on your own?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh my, thank you for all your suggestions, and yes (sorry I forgot the name) to the one that was getting ready to cruise, I would love to read your review.

I guess my thinking of this was, generally we have an ocean view or balcony room. We got an inner room as it was just as expensive, or more expensive than Princess or Carnival when we had a room on these ships for an ocean view or balcony. In other words, I hope the price we paid will be worth it.

We are on deck 9, but I understand deck 7 or 8 or better for the Promenade watching.

We are on deck 9, but I understand deck 7 or 8 or better for the Promenade watching.

We loved our deck 9 (aft) location. SIL and BIL had deck 9 forward and loved it too. 2 floors up and you are at the pool/windjammer....4 floors down and you are on the promenade. Very quiet floor :) Also had an inside (usually get balcony or window, but wanted to save money this time since it was an unplanned vaca) and it was nice for the darkness but a little hard to get moving in the am. I just turned on the lights full blast and it did the trick. You will love the Freedom. By far our fave ship.

Robinola - is that thru RCCI or did you book that on your own?

go thru jamaicaforaday or resortforaday. checkout the website and youtube

Flowrider, ice show (loved that Hula Hoop part, just amazing!!!) and the over all WOW of the ship. Dinner in MDR was very relaxing and, maybe we are easy to please, but thought the food was YUMMO! We enjoyed the helipad- all the way forward on deck 5 and up a few stairs. We have done both East & West, so had to leave this fabulous ship to see other ports. It is all around pretty great, not too big/too small, just right!:p

FYI- we had deck 9 interiors, great location and sleeping!

Edited by BLAMBKY

I have only been on a few cruise ships, but FoS is my absolute favorite. The best parts for me was the Sorrentos pizza. (My son and I hit them up for a pizza and a pop before bedtime) Being on the helicopter pad on the bow of the ship for sail away was incredible. That moment when life as you know it melts away and the vacation is actually starting, dolphins (or porpouses) jumpnig along side the ship, all the people on shore waving as you leave the port. There was so much to see and experiance that I don't even think we saw everything. Definately need to see the ice show!! Its amazing and spectaular what those folks can do. And where else can you ice skate in the middle of the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise and happy sailing.

go thru jamaicaforaday or resortforaday. checkout the website and youtube

This is what we are doing...glad to hear it is great!!

We were on FOS in December for our honeymoon and it was ALL amazing. Just make sure not to do Johnny Rockets on the same day as a specialty dining experience. We were SOOOO overstuffed. We did JR on a port day so it wasn't crowded at all. We had no interest in Falmouth so we enjoyed a mostly empty ship and it was wonderful :) Enjoy!

I learned that lesson too. JR for lunch and Chops for dinner equals a doggie bag. Luckily they packed everything we did not eat including dessert and we took it back to the cabin.

I love the FOS, the parades are wonderful and Sailaway show is on the big pool movie screen so you can see it from almost everywhere. it does not feel crowded at all.

That is only if you book a PR (Promenade stateroom). They are on decks 6, 7, and 8. Most of them sleep only 2 people. A few are designated Family sized for larger families. Keep checking the prices. If you are not past final payment, you can get a price adjustment in most cases. If you are past final pay, you may be able to upgrade to an oceanview or balcony. To me, FOS is worth the price we pay :)

My family of 5 did manage to eat in the Windjammer after arriving on the ship. The hardest part was finding a table. It was impossible. I noticed a line with a velvet rope and saw waiters helping people get a table. As soon as we went to the rope, they found us a table. We were relieved and had a pleasant lunch.

I'm glad you liked your inner room on Deck 9 of the FOTS. Hopefully we will like ours too. Yes, I would have liked to have had a ocean view or balcony, but the inner room was just as expensive as an ocean view or balcony on a Carnival or Princess cruise.

Have fun on Freedom! She's a wonderful ship.

Visit Johnny Rockets early. We went late in the cruise, which was too bad. Food was good, they had a great & fun wait staff with fabulous outdoor seating. It was so good we wished we'd gone twice.

Silent disco was awesome. Go, have fun!!!

Mini golf! Just be prepared to not take the game too seriously. Which is next to impossible when the wind is so bad that it's pushing your ball all over the putt putt course. Windy balls was great fun. :)

Cantiveliered hot tubs were my favorite escape on the ship. Truly relaxing.

Edited by Lost_in_BC

We are going on Freedom for the first time in September and you guys are making me so excited!!!! I can't wait!!

What is the silent disco about? I know about silence, and disco, but this?

The dancers wear headphones to hear the music. There are also two different music channels, so the dancers are dancing (and singing) to different tunes. Funny to watch in the silence.

Edited by clarea

I had convinced myself before boarding that I would NOT like the Royal Promenade. I was NOT interested in what people call "The Mall at Sea". I would NOT be frequenting there much at all.

Boy was I wrong! It wound up being one of my favorite places on the whole ship! :eek: And other than the Captains Party and the food and beverage display they do on the last sea day, it wasnt crowded much at all. I watched the parade from my PR cabin so I didnt have to fight the crowd then.

I really enjoy the outside of deck 4 at night too. Its like one giant balcony and no one is hardly ever out there. A great place to enjoy a drink and listen to the waves crash on the side of the ship.

I really enjoy the outside of deck 4 at night too. Its like one giant balcony and no one is hardly ever out there. A great place to enjoy a drink and listen to the waves crash on the side of the ship.

That's a great spot.

The dancers wear headphones to hear the music. There are also two different music channels, so the dancers are dancing (and singing) to different tunes. Funny to watch in the silence.

Have to see this! That is hilarious!

My family of 5 did manage to eat in the Windjammer after arriving on the ship. The hardest part was finding a table. It was impossible. I noticed a line with a velvet rope and saw waiters helping people get a table. As soon as we went to the rope, they found us a table. We were relieved and had a pleasant lunch.

Our trick perfected after years of cruising is to grab an outside table and bring food back. There are tables in the H2O zone by the juice bar that stayed unoccupied until almost 3pm. Short walk to buffet. We took shifts so someone was always at table.

Also if you just want to eat and aren't fussy just find a station with no line. You don't have to wait on the whole huge line unless you want to try and/or see every item.

We love FOS, we went for the first time and are going again soon. My boys really loved it also and are much more excited this year then they've ever been about a cruise, although it may have more to do with being older.

I've been lucky enough to have sailed 8 different ships and FOS is my favorite.

I love the Royal Promenade because it's so open. Most ships feel pretty stuffy and confined to me inside, except in the atrium. Well the RP is like one huge atrium. Very nice! Also helped kids to navigate to the cabin, one they were on the correct deck they could look out over the atrium and know which way to go to get to cabin. We all really liked (I'd say loved but I'm overusing the word) Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade. It's very nice to have a place beside buffet to get a snack or light meal. Boys adored hanging out at Sorrento's. My younger discovered the chocolate mousse there and had at least one every day. They also liked the soft-serve by the pool. I also love the outside promenade that goes all the way around including the bow. I've had that on other ships also but some have no promenade at all. Great to walk off dinner, look at stars, or find a comfy lounger for a read. I like the different pool areas, one with a big screen, one quiet, adult-only, and one for kids. You can pick based on your mood at the time. The cantilevered hot tubs are very nice. Crew and food top-notch. Entertainment great, although it's the same shows as last year so I won't being seeing as much this time. We loved Labadee and the itinerary in general.

Overall you can't go wrong with the FOS. We can't wait to go again! Not long now.

Can you tell I like the FOS?

Went on freedom last year. Had a great time. Stayed in a promenade view inside cabin. The ship was in great shape, the service was great. This won't appeal to everyone, but I had an awesome time at the Connoisseur Club on deck five forward each night having a couple scotches and a nice cigar. You'll love Freedom.

We are returning to fos in September. We have been on her 3 other times and love her. The staff are always friendly, it's our favorite ship, we love the cantilever whirlpool, the adult only pool, sitting in the olive or twist on deck 14 watching over the pool area and the world go by! And how the kids are treated by the staff is awesome. You will love it!

Besides everything already mentioned, I enjoyed the day that Mom and Dad just wanted to relax (we were exhausted) while our teenagers were on the almost-empty flowrider. In our room, flipping through the channels on TV, we discovered that we could relax in our room and still watch them wipe out on TV!

Hi Blambky,

Is the helipad always open?

occasionally closed at night when seas are rough but usually open. I think it was only closed once last year on our trip.

Besides everything already mentioned, I enjoyed the day that Mom and Dad just wanted to relax (we were exhausted) while our teenagers were on the almost-empty flowrider. In our room, flipping through the channels on TV, we discovered that we could relax in our room and still watch them wipe out on TV!

That is really funny :) Great idea too!

We were on the Freedom last week. It is beautiful. Here are my highlights:

Sorrentos pizza, biscotti and desserts - yummy!

If you have your time dining ask for Madan, he's amazing (only in Galileo's)

flowrider is so cool

rock climbing is fun

the scavenger hunts and trivia are fun

loved sitting around the pool in the solarium but get chairs early!

eat the key lime pie

the skating show is well worth it but book ahead

evening shows are great

check out the promenade often, stuff is always going on

catch the parade and like others said go early and sit at a pub

when you get tired of the windjammer after day 3 eat in the dining room. Breakfast is good and lunch is awesome in the dining room