Cruise Critic Community
Copper10-8

ZUDM in Curacao

Something you don't see everyday; ms Zuiderdam at Curacao's Mega Pier last week as the Diesel-Electric Attack submarine ZrMs Dolfijn S808 (His Majesty's Ship Dolphin) of the Royal Netherlands Navy enters Willemstad's Sint Anna Baai channel inbound for Naval Base Parera. Part of Dolfijn's crew is "at quarters/manning the rail" about to render honors as the sub passes Curacao's Fort Amsterdam and the Governor's Mansion located right at the entrance to the inlet

HollandAmericaLine-ZuiderdamIIampZrMsDolfijnS_zps4ccc03fb.jpg

Something you don't see everyday; ms Zuiderdam at Curacao's Mega Pier last week as the Diesel-Electric Attack submarine ZrMs Dolfijn S808 (His Majesty's Ship Dolphin) of the Royal Netherlands Navy enters Willemstad's Sint Anna Baai channel inbound for Naval Base Parera. Part of Dolfijn's crew is "at quarters/manning the rail" about to render honors as the sub passes Curacao's Fort Amsterdam and the Governor's Mansion located right at the entrance to the inlet

HollandAmericaLine-ZuiderdamIIampZrMsDolfijnS_zps4ccc03fb.jpg

Very cool! Nobody running silent or deep today. It's just us (NODM) and the Vision of the Seas.

Great photo. Grandson was on a US Navy Boomer, USS Louisanna, as a Naval Midshipman last summer. His Dad was a submarine officer on the USS Shark after his Naval Academy graduation.

Very cool! Nobody running silent or deep today. It's just us (NODM) and the Vision of the Seas.

Hope you had a great time on the "C" island

Great photo. Grandson was on a US Navy Boomer, USS Louisanna, as a Naval Midshipman last summer. His Dad was a submarine officer on the USS Shark after his Naval Academy graduation.

All in the family! ;) Thanks for serving! :)

Hope you had a great time on the "C" island

We did. Thanks for the great Dutch food recommendations. We had the breakfast and a few lunch options. I tried to type them into the post but the autocorrect turns them into frigates and croquet and. :eek:

Edited by POA1

Thank you for sharing AND for serving!

Edited by LaCat3

Wow !!!

What a photo.

I missed it the other day.

Thanks for re-posting it.

Incredible picture.

You should submit it for publication in Mariner's Mag or e-Nieuws.

I hope those Dutch sailors got a little smile from seeing a beautiful Dutch flagged cruise ship as they passed by. How appropriate it was a Dutch flagged ship vs. any other. :)

WOW! What a great photo. It is easy for me to start to feel claustrophobic just looking at the submarine. I would not even tour one. Thanks for posting.

John, thanks for posting. We were on the starboard side that day and watched her sail in. I got a few photos also but not as nice as the one above.

Here are a couple of photos of the sub taken from the Zuiderdam...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leonmorrison/sets/72157642064463025/

Wonderful photos, Leon.

Did the bridge make an announcement the submarine was approaching or did you just happen to have your camera in hand at just the right time by coincidence? I can't imagine the surprise of seeing a sub approaching when you weren't expecting it. :D FUN!!

Wonderful photos, Leon.

Did the bridge make an announcement the submarine was approaching or did you just happen to have your camera in hand at just the right time by coincidence? I can't imagine the surprise of seeing a sub approaching when you weren't expecting it. :D FUN!!

I keep my camera right by the door but can't take credit for seeing it first. My wife said that there were two tugs doing "something" and I got the binoculars and recognized that it was a sub. There were no announcements... The mystery was that a crewman just aft of the conning had a strange outfit and we were trying to figure out what he was wearing. All in all, it was a wonderful sight...

I keep my camera right by the door but can't take credit for seeing it first. My wife said that there were two tugs doing "something" and I got the binoculars and recognized that it was a sub. There were no announcements... The mystery was that a crewman just aft of the conning had a strange outfit and we were trying to figure out what he was wearing. All in all, it was a wonderful sight...

Ever figure out what that sailor you saw was wearing that got your attention? The ones manning the rail in the pic are all wearing standard Dutch Navy 2-piece blue work uniforms, baseball caps and a Mustang life preserver/work vest

Edited by Copper10-8

Ever figure out what that sailor you saw was wearing that got your attention? The ones manning the rail in the pic are all wearing standard Dutch Navy 2-piece blue work uniforms, baseball caps and a Mustang life preserver/work vest

This sailor was in shorts, boots and a ball cap. Here is a closer view...

13021980893_46f51637d8_b.jpg

N7K_7468 by leonmorrison, on Flickr