Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shipcafe

Norwegian Star Sails from Seattle

Hi Everyone,

I've just returned from photographing the Norwegian Star setting sail from Seattle, Washington. Let me tell you it is ONE beautiful day here for it as well. I even sent copies to the onboard ship's management as I think they turned out pretty well. Here is the link. Enjoy!

nclst05_13.jpg

Ship Cafe: Your pictures made me sad!:mad: We just got off the Star on Sunday morning and that means your pictures of the ship sailing off again without us..... (I know it happens every week, but actually seeing it chokes me up.)

It was a wonderful cruise on my favorite ship. I will post a full review in the next couple of days! But I will say, we had the most fantastic weather! It was beautiful in Seattle both last Sunday and today and we had NO RAIN the entire week....Juneau, Skagway, Galcier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle.....completely dry! In every port the tour guides mentioned what an unusual weather week it was. (we were even able to see Mt. Ranier last Sunday from the ship).

Full report coming!!!

I was on the Star July 3-10 and it rained every day, but it was still loads of fun. I wish I were on her right now.

We are thinking about booking for next May27. Do you think that 2 families consisting of 4 adults, 2 13 yr olds and 1 11 year old will do ok on the Star? We have never cruised NCL, only DCL, RCI, and Carnival. Out of the 3- we probably enjoyed DCL best but RCI was really close. Of course, we have only cruised the Caribbean and are trying to venture out. We want to cruise from Seattle, can't take the time to do a cruisetour because DH owns his own business and can't take the extra time off, and have to have a ship with a basketball court! The real thing I am worried about is the pool situation. Thanks for any input

I think with the kids you are better off with NCL than a more traditional line due to the dress code and dining.

With Freestyle, you don't have to worry about making teenagers get dressed up in suits/ties. Just polo shirts and kahakis...... You can also just send them to the buffet or Blue Lagoon (a diner like area) as they are! You also don't have to worry about set dining times, just go when you are ready and want to.

As far as the pools are concerned, we just got off the Star and the pools were hardly ever used because it is so cold. Only the kids pool is heated and I believe your kids are too old for that area (I think the cut-off is 10). We went in July during a week that was unnormally dry. From what I understand it rains 2-4 days during most cruises to Alaska. You are also going in May compared to us in July. The highest temperature that we saw was 70 in Seattle. About the only time I saw people in the main pool was the day we sailed from Seattle. (Now the hot tubs were a different story, although I saw people litterally sprint from the chair where they put their towel down to the hot tub!) The indoor pool is in the Barong Spa and is reserved for adults only.

The Basketball court is up on Deck 14 and it is very windy up there. (nets prevent the ball from flying off the ship.) We walked on deck 13 several days and were layered and still cold and the wind was incredibly strong. I'm not sure how much the court was used, but I never saw it in use.

Remember this is Alaska.

Let me know if you have any more questions.