Video of life raft inflation - Rotterdam 2009

whogo

I thought some of you might enjoy this 46 second video I took of life raft practice in the Rotterdam aft pool during a transatlantic cruise in 2009. You can quit watching when the picture goes sideways. Oops.

MVI_0134

The cadets practiced using the raft. They were just able to turn it upside down. It was easy to right. Passengers were allowed in and allowed to play with the paddles and sample survival food.

A couple of the ship's 3rd officers offered a few Navigation presentations during the crossing. They spoke about sextants while training cadets to use them, again offering passengers a chance. I thought this was really neat. I have not seen this on any other cruise.

I thought some of you might enjoy this 46 second video I took of life raft practice in the Rotterdam aft pool during a transatlantic cruise in 2009.

Sadly, the last cruise that the Rotterdam sailed with an aft pool. :(

whogo,

The Cadets on the Eurodam also put on such a demonstration during her trans-Atlantic in late Summer, 2013 with narration provided by the 2nd Officer in charge of Safety. Very, very interesting. I spoke with one of the Cadets following the demonstration, thanking him for doing this for the passengers, and he said, "I have so much to learn!"

Sadly, the last cruise that the Rotterdam sailed with an aft pool. :(

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that. We sailed on her three times, always with the aft pool.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that. We sailed on her three times, always with the aft pool.

I haven't checked my totals lately, but I think I qualified for a copper medallion on that ship alone. I had over 70 days on the previous Rotterdam, too.

Since that change to her aft, I doubt I will ever want to sail on her again. Very sad about that.

But I was given some things from the décor that were otherwise going in the dumpster, and I do enjoy seeing them in my home.

I recall meeting at Ruth's " office " as we left HMK to toast our fond memories of the aft pool as the next day she would be " removed" in Grand Bahama [ after we left the ship in Port Everglades ]. I also recall Simon arranging for certain Bar signage to be left in Port E. for later transhipment to a certain "rec" room in Rhode Island ...fond memories of a great crossing with fun folks .