Beach Path - Horseshoe Bay

SpokaneDan

Arriving Kings Wharf (RCCL) on April 7th

I am interested in doing the beach path from Warwick Bay to Horseshoe Bay.

Which bus do I take?

How long is the path?

Would water be too cold in April for swim? And would there be vendors at the beaches?

Thanks

You would take the route #7 bus (inbound) to Warwick Bay and (outbound) from Horseshoe Bay to return to King's Wharf, Dockyard. Just tell the bus driver your destination is WB, and he'll drop you at the correct stop.

If you just walk the paths, without testing the water at each beach, the distance is about .6 mile. This would be from the southwest end of WB to the northeast end of HSB.

At that point, it is another .6 mile to walk along HSB to the exit to the access road to the bus route. There is a shorter way (distance about .3 mile) to the bus route, but it would mean leaving HSB and taking the correct paths to connect with the access road to the bus route.

For me, the water would be too cold. As for vendors, I don't think there would be any at HSB that early in the season. Someone will certainly post if I am wrong.

There is a satellite photo here with the paths clearly visible. The bus route is along South Road. Traveling from left to right on the photo, the bus would be inbound to Hamilton; traveling from right to left on the photo, the bus would be outbound to the Dockyard.

SBtS

Arriving Kings Wharf (RCCL) on April 7th

I am interested in doing the beach path from Warwick Bay to Horseshoe Bay.

Which bus do I take?

How long is the path?

Would water be too cold in April for swim? And would there be vendors at the beaches?

Thanks

I would say it is too cold to swim in early April but some from places with cold water like New England might find it okay beacuse they are used to that temp. As far as venders, I have not been to Bermuda in early April because I am a beach person and it is too cool for me then. So I can't answer about vendors in early April but Bermudians don't consider it beach season until their end of May holiday. I went once in early May and it was too cool for me to swim. That said, the facilities at Horseshoe Bay were open then. I don't know the date they open.

Edited by Charles4515

I did the walk from Horseshoe to Warwick Long Bay and back this past June. It was one of the highlights of my visit. I can't wait to do it again its a great time. We took the bus to the Swizzle Inn after our beach day to top it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

1394567696943.jpg.34859f39db0db6a28e3a7f9944940cce.jpg

Thanks SBTS; I am also looking at Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, is it near the Beach Path and same bus route?

Gibbs L/H and most all South Shore beaches (among which are Warwick and Horseshoe) are all on the #7 bus route.

You'll pass GLH, first, before you reach Horseshoe or Warwick. The distance from the bus stop for Horseshoe Bay to GLH is about 1.1 miles. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes for a pedestrian to walk on, take the bus.

SBtS

Glenn: thanks for sharing, will be looking forward to the beach walk, maybe swim?? with my family.

SBTS: great, will visit the lighthouse as well. Re single bus tickets, it is for one ride only, once you get off, you have to buy another ticket to get on again, in other words, no time limited free transfer?

Also there are 5 of us, I assume it'd still more economical to take buses vs. taxi cab to the beaches? thanks

Can anyone tell me how long it would take on the #7 bus to get from King's Wharf/Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay?

We'll also be in Bermuda for the first time on the 7th, on Explorer OTS, and hoping to squeeze in a trip to the beaches, even though I'm a wimp and won't swim unless the water is over 80. :D That walking path intrigues me, though.

Can anyone tell me how long it would take on the #7 bus to get from King's Wharf/Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay?

The bus from the Dockyard to Horseshoe bay takes about 35 minutes.

SBTS: great, will visit the lighthouse as well. Re single bus tickets, it is for one ride only, once you get off, you have to buy another ticket to get on again, in other words, no time limited free transfer?

Also there are 5 of us, I assume it'd still more economical to take buses vs. taxi cab to the beaches? thanks

You buy the tickets in a booklet of 15, cost $30.00; they can be shared and don't expire. Unless you are able to use a transfer, not likely if you are going to the beach, you would use a new ticket every time you board the bus.

The taxi fare for 5 passengers for the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay was about $33.00 in 2013, but taxi driver have requested a 25% increase in fares which was a approved, but I don't know when it will start.

SBtS

You buy the tickets in a booklet of 15, cost $30.00; they can be shared and don't expire. Unless you are able to use a transfer, not likely if you are going to the beach, you would use a new ticket every time you board the bus.

SBtS

Can you get a free transfer from the ferry to the bus, for example if going to BAMZ?

Thanks.

Can you get a free transfer from the ferry to the bus, for example if going to BAMZ?

Thanks.

Transfers are Free when traveling from one bus route to another, as long as the transfer is made to the next scheduled trip on the connecting route.

Transfers from bus <> ferry are not available.

SBtS

Transfers are Free when traveling from one bus route to another, as long as the transfer is made to the next scheduled trip on the connecting route.

Transfers from bus <> ferry are not available.

SBtS

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Want to thank you all contributors, and report back. It was a wonderful trip on Explorer OTS.

We end up buying 2-day bus/ferry pass - $25/adult, one day passes for my teenagers - $7.5/<16 yo.

The ticket booth at the dock (conveniently located, manageable waiting line with official assistance on hand) did not have the $30 for 15 tickets yet; maybe later in the season. US dollars (cash only) accepted and changes was given back in US dollars and coins. The ticketing prices are based on Zones traveled; therefore, somewhat complicated to explain. Day Pass is the way to go for any >1-2 stops trips.

We managed to swim in the Horseshoe Bay first day (changing rooms, vendors were open); kids went snorkeling with ship excursion second day, while I went to St. George and swam in Tobacco Bay.

The path to Warwick beach was easily traced. While Horseshoe Bay had dozens of people, Warwick was completely empty.

Unfortunately, we did not make to lighthouse, but went to the caves instead.

One other note, to go to Hamilton, Ferry is much faster than bus - 20 min. vs. 60 min.

• 2 weeks later...
I did the walk from Horseshoe to Warwick Long Bay and back this past June. It was one of the highlights of my visit. I can't wait to do it again its a great time. We took the bus to the Swizzle Inn after our beach day to top it off.

How far is the Swizzle Inn from Warwick Long Bay? Is it walkable?

Thanks spokaneDan for the report and info.

Wondering if you saw any warning signs on the beaches about the water.

Glad you had a good time!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Walking to Horseshoe Bay from the bus stop is all down hill. There is a guy with a van who offers rides for $2 a person. Great idea. A person with mobility issues would have trouble walking either way to or back from Horseshoe Bay.

NYC - no warning signs on the beach in early April. Only found out about it on this forum shortly after return.:( None of our family got ill, or found the water unusual. :)

shof: I am guesstimating the walk from bus stop to the beach at 600 feet down slope on a decent side walk (wheelchair accessible, IMO), and to confirm flowers44, there was a van service to shuttle pax ($2 pp) back up to the bus stop when we were there.

I would LOVE to follow the beachpath from Horseshoe to Warwick AND end my beachday at the Inn as you did... just wondering if I should start at one end of the beachpath or the other to be nearer to a bus stop when we're ready to leave - I thought I read that it is NOT SAFELY walkable from either beach?? Maybe there's a bus stop at both beaches... Does this make sense??

I would LOVE to follow the beachpath from Horseshoe to Warwick AND end my beachday at the Inn as you did... just wondering if I should start at one end of the beachpath or the other to be nearer to a bus stop when we're ready to leave - I thought I read that it is NOT SAFELY walkable from either beach?? Maybe there's a bus stop at both beaches... Does this make sense??

It isn't safe to walk along South Road. There are bus stops near both Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay.