Lanai cabin veendam

san diego sue

I booked really late and wasn't able to get a balcony. So decided maybe a lanai cabin would be okay , so booked it.

I know there is a privacy factor here but I am okay with it.

Has anyone stayed in these cabins? I remember reading that lounge chairs are suppose to be for your cabin but others use it. Is that still the case? Are their signs on these chairs to reserve?

If someone sits in our chairs, I won't mind and won't yell at them as long as we aren't planning on using at that time.(if we are to use, may suggest they find another seat).

This is Veendam on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

We are also booked in a lanai cabin on the Veendam 3/30 sailing. Like you we have previously booked verandah but on a Holiday Cruise on the Maasdam we tried a Lanai and loved it.

I will try and answer your questions, the cabin is smaller and there is no cooler (we didn't miss it) but it has all the requirements for a nice cabin. Yes, you will have two assigned deck chairs for your cabin, there is a small plaque on the chair stating so. We liked that you could just open your door wall and step outside.

Your room steward will place your cushions inside your cabin at night, they were placed behind the curtains so not in the way of your space. In the morning we would put them on our chairs, gather up some deck towels, make our chairs up and never had a problem.

If someone were in our chairs I would politely tell them they were assigned to our cabin.

The privacy issue was not a problem for us. Were pretty social and enjoyed seeing other guests walking the decks. After two weeks we met a few who would stop for a quick hello or just a nice wave.

If you like a dark cabin you might want to take come clips for the curtains. The deck lights are on all night long. If you go to the search engine on CC and type in Lanai Cabins you will see what others have experienced.

:)

I hope you enjoy your cabin as much as we have, enjoy your cruise.

We loved the lanai on our recent Maasdam cruise. Yes, there are plaques on the chairs indicating which stateroom they belong to. People still sit...our room steward used to get really aggravated when he'd see someone sitting in our chairs...kind of funny.

Sounds like we made a nice choice.

Thanks Innlady and Sandy for answering.

We are on the 3/16th sailing so really late booking and so glad we were able to snag our cabin.

:D

Sue we also enjoyed our Lanai Cabin on the Veendam.. We normally book outsides but we were offered an upsell which we took & from now on will only book a lanai if they are available on the ship..

Hope you have a wonderful cruise & enjoy your lanai as much as we did..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks Betty.

Good to hear from someone that was on the Veendam.

Mine was an upsell too. I booked a few days ago and took an inexpensive outside cabin with window. I still had the phone number of the dept. that does the upsells (from a last years offer when cruising HAL). Called it and although Balconies no longer offered, got the Lanai cabin for only an extra $39.00 a person. It brought the total cost per person for the cruise to half of what a lanai price offered .

I have noticed from the video of the cabin that there doesn't appear to be any drawers in the desk. Are there any drawers in the cabin for stuff.

I have noticed from the video of the cabin that there doesn't appear to be any drawers in the desk. Are there any drawers in the cabin for stuff.

Look under the beds. There should be a drawer at the foot of each bed. There are also shelves in the closet with the safe.

There's two drawers in the nightstands, too.

The desk is very short, and you're right---there are no drawers in it.

Thanks Betty.

Good to hear from someone that was on the Veendam.

Mine was an upsell too. I booked a few days ago and took an inexpensive outside cabin with window. I still had the phone number of the dept. that does the upsells (from a last years offer when cruising HAL). Called it and although Balconies no longer offered, got the Lanai cabin for only an extra $39.00 a person. It brought the total cost per person for the cruise to half of what a lanai price offered .

That's a great price, Sue. We paid $1100 for our upsell on the Maasdam. The only drawback to the lanai cabins is the lack of storage that is on the other cabin categories. DH looked under the bed and sofa for drawers but there weren't any. Maybe Veendam is different...although they are both S class ships.

We don't really like the isolation of a verandah...we enjoy being out and about, so the Lanai was perfect.

Having said that, I plan to book a Lanai to Bermuda in '15.

To Innlady,

Reason for the low price to upgrade is only 7 day cruise and it leaves in a few days. I am sure if it was a month out, would have been higher.

I did notice that the regular outside cabins had a larger desk with drawers. Since it is only 7 day cruise, I am not bringing much. Just need

a place to put my makeup and hair products,personal item, so the nightstand will work.Everything else can go in the closet.

We loved the lanai on our recent Maasdam cruise. Yes, there are plaques on the chairs indicating which stateroom they belong to. People still sit...our room steward used to get really aggravated when he'd see someone sitting in our chairs...kind of funny.

I have just booked a lanai, my first, on the Maasdam for 2 May. How recent was your cruise?