Cruise Critic heads to Mexican Riviera!

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Hi there! I'll be doing a ports trip for Cruise Critic in mid-May, stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. During my time there, I'll be checking up on shore excursions, meeting port officials and ferreting out the best ways for cruisers to spend their time in these cities. If you have any questions or things you'd like to me to check out, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks, everyone! I leave tomorrow and will be there a week, splitting time between all three cities. It will be a whirlwind, but I hope I can answer your questions. Our port updates in this part of the world are extremely out of date!

Among my planned activities:

Cabo

Check out beach clubs

Parasailing

Camel outback safari

Snorkeling/kayaking to the Arch

Horseback riding

(I don't think I'll be able to do the mini-sub. But I'll see if I can get any insight into its popularity from port officials).

Mazatlan

Still to be determined, but I do want to get over to Stone Island, if possible.

Also check out beach clubs

Puerto Vallarta

Food tour

Check out beach clubs

Dolphin Discovery

If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Doing this itinerary in Nov. with 6 people. Very excited to hear your reviews especially for Puerto Vallarta all inclusive day passes, distance from port, $$ taxi costs. Looking forward to your reviews. thank you

• 2 weeks later...
For those interested in Mazatlan, Carnival just announced they would be visiting the port 52 times this coming season. Along with the those previously announced, there will now be 110 visits.

I have some friends in Mazatlan that work in tourist related jobs. It's been a tough go for them in recent years. Happy for them.. and Mazatlan.

I've been visiting Mazatlan since 1984. Love IT!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks, everyone! I leave tomorrow and will be there a week, splitting time between all three cities. It will be a whirlwind, but I hope I can answer your questions. Our port updates in this part of the world are extremely out of date!

Among my planned activities:

Cabo

Check out beach clubs

Parasailing

Camel outback safari

Snorkeling/kayaking to the Arch

Horseback riding

(I don't think I'll be able to do the mini-sub. But I'll see if I can get any insight into its popularity from port officials).

Mazatlan

Still to be determined, but I do want to get over to Stone Island, if possible.

Also check out beach clubs

Puerto Vallarta

Food tour

Check out beach clubs

Dolphin Discovery

If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Did I miss your review? Taking a Mexican Riviera cruise in November so very interested in your thoughts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi everyone. I'm back (and have been for a while, although not on this thread). I've written several stories that have yet to be published. In the meantime, I'll give you some of my thoughts:

Cabo. Even though I knew that Cabo is famous as a spring break haunt for southern California, I was surprised by how bar-centric the town was. Medano Beach was quite crowded, even in May. I can't imagine how it is during March and April.

My favorite excursion here was the snorkeling/kayaking trip with Baja Outback. We paddled up out to El Arco and then took a break at Pelican Rock for snorkeling. Lots of nice fish around the rock.

As far as the outback safari is concerned, I thought it was OK, probably better for kids. The excursion picks you up in town and takes you out to a private ranch on the Pacific. The camel ride itself only lasts about 10 minutes or so. The rest of the excursion involves a nature walk, a tequila tasting and lunch. It didn't compare to the camel ride I had in Egypt a few days ago.

Parasailing is a lot of fun, and extremely scenic. Nice way to get a birds eye view of the Arch.

I had a massage at the Sand Bar, which cost $32 for 50 minutes. Definitely worth it.

Of the beach bars, I checked out Mango Deck, Tabasco Beach, and Nikki Beach at ME Cabo. All have different vibes. Mango Deck is your basic "party hearty" atmosphere with waiters who dance, wet T-shirt contests, loud music, etc. Nikki Beach is more "Miami" in style, with lounge/Euro music and fancy loungers. Tabasco Beach is more chill and further away from the action.

I recommend the food at Solomon's Landing at the marina. I also liked Bar Esquina at Hotel Bahia.

If I went back to Cabo, I'd concentrate on doing more water activities, and whale watching, if it's the right season. It's big on sportfishing and that would be another fun activity to do if you're with someone who likes to fish. I'd also like to check out San Juan de Cabo, the artier town to the south.

Mazatlan. I was very impressed with how Mazatlan has bounced back from its difficulties a few years ago. The colonial Old City is not to be missed. Many expats have settled here, and a range of art galleries have sprung up. I would skip the Golden Zone and spend my time here.

As far as beaches go, Stone Island is lovely - it's shallow in parts, so nice for families, plus it's long enough that everyone gets a spot even if more than one ship is in port. There are some nice restaurants on the beach with lounge chairs. Renting an ATV is a must here. I also enjoyed the RHINO excursion, which takes you all around the city.

Puerto Vallarta. My favorite of the three cities, PV has a sophisticated, international vibe, due to all the expats who come here from around the world. Plus the downtown with its cobblestoned streets is lovely. I would happily come back here for a land vacation.

I LOVED the food walking tour given by Vallarta Food Tours. It's three hours and you make 9 stops. You're full by the end of it. They have a street taco tour that also sounds interesting. Highly recommended.

I toured about 7 beach clubs while I was there. My favorites were on the south end of Playa de los Muertos - the brand-new Mantamar Beach Club and LIdo Club de Playa. If you're in the Golden Zone, my top choices are Casa Velas (adults only) or Now Amber, an all-inclusive that has kid-friendly activities.

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to answer any questions!

• 4 months later...
Guest USC Traveler

I'm not having a dolphin experience in pv. i'm just going to a highly recommeded chocolate shop and then to wal-mart to buy mexican vanilla for some friends.

Thanks for your review, we're hitting the same ports later this month. We're signed up for the Camel Safari ship excursion in Cabo. A little alarmed you sounded disappointed in your review. We will have our kids 9 & 12 with us, can you elaborate on what you enjoyed and didn't enjoy for this excursion, before we plunk down $$?