bocaraton

Ama from Vilshofen to Budapest June 25 use ship land in Prague or be on own

Cannot seem to decide on whether to do land in Prague as part of pre cruise package or arriving on June 22 and doing it on our own. Have seen great prices at Maximilian which include breakfast and then would have daily private guide for ourselves. But, would have to get to Vilshofen on our own..by private car...Any suggestions by people who have done it either way and their opinions so I can compare. Ship trip to vilshofen stops at Regensburg...Private car can stop wherever we want...Not sure there is too big a differenced in money, but private guides more our style. Thanks for all suggestions.

[quote name='bocaraton']Cannot seem to decide on whether to do land in Prague as part of pre cruise package or arriving on June 22 and doing it on our own. Have seen great prices at Maximilian which include breakfast and then would have daily private guide for ourselves. But, would have to get to Vilshofen on our own..by private car...Any suggestions by people who have done it either way and their opinions so I can compare. Ship trip to vilshofen stops at Regensburg...Private car can stop wherever we want...Not sure there is too big a differenced in money, but private guides more our style. Thanks for all suggestions.[/QUOTE]
We are a group of 14 sailing this itinerary with AMA on July 8th. After careful consideration we elected not to do the cruise line' pre-cruise package. We are saving a bundle. We were a bit anxious about getting to the port on our own so I contacted AMA. Did you know that you can add on the transfer from Prague to Vilshofen through the cruise line? I think it is around $119 pp. it leaves from whatever hotel they are using and includes everything. So what we did was ask which pre-cruise hotel they are using for our sailing. In our case it is the Hilton Old Town. We booked non-refundable, early saver packages many months ago directly with the hotel. The rate also includes breakfast. We have booked a private guide and will have a much more comprehensive tour in Prague than that listed in the AMA itinerary. We figured in the costs and saved about $750 pp by DIY.

the Old Town Hilton was very nice and convenient.Took inc. tours and then went off on own.Very easy with guidebook,we prefer on own rather than guide(just us).Did book Terezin with AMA and very interesting.Had private guides there at camp for ea.bldg.
Transfer to ship no problem.
TO us the extra money was worth the convenience.No taxis to hotel,no cars to port,just relax and let AMA handle all the details.
So for us,that was more important than extra money.On vacation we like to relax and not worry about details.

[quote name='sippican']We are a group of 14 sailing this itinerary with AMA on July 8th. After careful consideration we elected not to do the cruise line' pre-cruise package. We are saving a bundle. We were a bit anxious about getting to the port on our own so I contacted AMA. Did you know that you can add on the transfer from Prague to Vilshofen through the cruise line? I think it is around $119 pp. it leaves from whatever hotel they are using and includes everything. So what we did was ask which pre-cruise hotel they are using for our sailing. In our case it is the Hilton Old Town. We booked non-refundable, early saver packages many months ago directly with the hotel. The rate also includes breakfast. We have booked a private guide and will have a much more comprehensive tour in Prague than that listed in the AMA itinerary. We figured in the costs and saved about $750 pp by DIY.[/quote]

We compared this very closely not with the Hilton but with the Maximilian highly recommended by Rick Steves and also including breakfast. We want a private guide in Prague as well. But, I imagine part of your saving is that you are 14 people. May I ask which guide you chose and also how many days touring you have with that guide.
We figured if we go with the ship 1/2 day tour and tour with a private guide in the afternoon and then 1 whole day with someone we hire. This would be all we could fit in. The difference for two or 4 people is negligable. Like 200 pp but we prefer to be in a smaller group. I am just curious how you came up with the 750 a day pp. Thanks ...if you want you can private message me the name of the guide or company because I think TA deletes them and I would like to know it. Thanks again.

[quote name='bocaraton']We compared this very closely not with the Hilton but with the Maximilian highly recommended by Rick Steves and also including breakfast. We want a private guide in Prague as well. But, I imagine part of your saving is that you are 14 people. May I ask which guide you chose and also how many days touring you have with that guide.
We figured if we go with the ship 1/2 day tour and tour with a private guide in the afternoon and then 1 whole day with someone we hire. This would be all we could fit in. The difference for two or 4 people is negligable. Like 200 pp but we prefer to be in a smaller group. I am just curious how you came up with the 750 a day pp. Thanks ...if you want you can private message me the name of the guide or company because I think TA deletes them and I would like to know it. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I did make an error - I should have said $750 per couple. Not sure where you saw "per day". (That really would be quite a savings, lol!) We booked over a year ago and since our cruise is sold out I am unable to access the exact costs to compare, but I believe it would have cost about $1500 extra for the two of us to participate in the pre-cruise package. The Hilton is costing around $320 total, transfers $200 (they have increased in price since then). Neither of these are group rates, we all booked independently, but very early, and nonrefundable rates, We have booked with guide Eva Trkalova for a day. She charges 1090 CZK (approximately $55) per hour and we have customized our day with her. So 6-7 hours is under $400 (divided by participants). Some of us may go to Terazin the first day. This is where the group size does come into consideration, the price is the same for 2 or 10 participants. So if we end up paying $230 for tours (still not sure how many of our group are doing the tour), our expenses will be $750. Of course this is a very rough estimate, but the savings were enough for us, and we still get to customize our time. We will leave the important details of getting to the port from Prague with AMA by purchasing their transfers. We generally enjoy small groups and find that doing things on our own is not stressful at all. In this case, the price difference was significant enough to us. We have also arranged a post-cruise stay in Prague,
Hope this answers your questions. Edited by sippican

I booked Prague on my own but I am using AMA transfers to Nuremburg.We have hired a guide to take us around all at a substantial savings from what AMA would charge.

[quote name='sippican']I did make an error - I should have said $750 per couple. Not sure where you saw "per day". (That really would be quite a savings, lol!) We booked over a year ago and since our cruise is sold out I am unable to access the exact costs to compare, but I believe it would have cost about $1500 extra for the two of us to participate in the pre-cruise package. The Hilton is costing around $320 total, transfers $200 (they have increased in price since then). Neither of these are group rates, we all booked independently, but very early, and nonrefundable rates, We have booked with guide Eva Trkalova for a day. She charges 1090 CZK (approximately $55) per hour and we have customized our day with her. So 6-7 hours is under $400 (divided by participants). Some of us may go to Terazin the first day. This is where the group size does come into consideration, the price is the same for 2 or 10 participants. So if we end up paying $230 for tours (still not sure how many of our group are doing the tour), our expenses will be $750. Of course this is a very rough estimate, but the savings were enough for us, and we still get to customize our time. We will leave the important details of getting to the port from Prague with AMA by purchasing their transfers. We generally enjoy small groups and find that doing things on our own is not stressful at all. In this case, the price difference was significant enough to us. We have also arranged a post-cruise stay in Prague,
Hope this answers your questions.[/quote]

Hi: Thanks for your answer which clarifies a lot. We have decided to do Maxmilian. The taxi from airport is around 30usd. The hotel including bkfst and tax is around 500 for 3 nights. We will use guides for a day and a half. So, it is a considerable saving. Also, we are taking a private car..there may be two couples but maybe just us to Vilshofen where ship embarks. We are going to ask him to go via Regensburg which Rick Steve recommends more than Cesky Krumlov. When we get there he will wait and we will take a private tour of Regensburg and Jewish quarter...which interests us and is huge. We did a lot of reading yesterday and if there are 4 of us, we will also take private tour of Vienna...hate large groups and of Lake area near Linz. In Budapest we will stay at a famous hotel...which is incredibly reasonable. I think Budapest is much more reasonable than Prague. So, thanks to you and some others we have been able to plan this in a relatively economical and sensible way. Thanks again.

[quote name='bocaraton']Hi: Thanks for your answer which clarifies a lot. We have decided to do Maxmilian. The taxi from airport is around 30usd. The hotel including bkfst and tax is around 500 for 3 nights. We will use guides for a day and a half. So, it is a considerable saving. Also, we are taking a private car..there may be two couples but maybe just us to Vilshofen where ship embarks. We are going to ask him to go via Regensburg which Rick Steve recommends more than Cesky Krumlov. When we get there he will wait and we will take a private tour of Regensburg and Jewish quarter...which interests us and is huge. We did a lot of reading yesterday and if there are 4 of us, we will also take private tour of Vienna...hate large groups and of Lake area near Linz. In Budapest we will stay at a famous hotel...which is incredibly reasonable. I think Budapest is much more reasonable than Prague. So, thanks to you and some others we have been able to plan this in a relatively economical and sensible way. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Glad it was of some help. The AMA transfer from Prague to Vilshofen does stop at Regensburg for a walking tour. Cesky Krumlov is an option from the ship at Linz (or we can do Salzburg or Gmunden)). Is your itinerary different? Who did you book for Vienna?

Also, I forgot to mention that we are taking the airport shuttle (Cedaz) directly from the airport to the square in front of the Hilton for $8 pp. (not a huge savings, but very convenient). Edited by sippican

[quote name='stipmom']I booked Prague on my own but I am using AMA transfers to Nuremburg.We have hired a guide to take us around all at a substantial savings from what AMA would charge.[/quote]

Are you on this cruise. Also which guide did you hire? If you are on the cruise ..I know they charge by the tour not the number of people so perhaps we could share. Which tours of Prague did you select. We always do this, it is much better with a private guide and less costly as well. In Prague we are staying at the Maximilian--got fabulous reviews. and in Budapest we are staying at the Gerolocy..Also great reviews. Our hotel recommended a great folklore show for one evening. We also prebooked a concert of 1 hour and 5 minutes at the Spanish Synagogue..The music is light classical and should be lovely. When we booked this am, there were only45 seats left. Seating is first come first served. Good Luck and Enjoy. Would love to hear from you.

[quote name='sippican'] Did you know that you can add on the transfer from Prague to Vilshofen through the cruise line? I think it is around $119 pp. it leaves from whatever hotel they are using and includes everything. So what we did was ask which pre-cruise hotel they are using for our sailing. In our case it is the Hilton Old Town. We booked non-refundable, early saver packages many months ago directly with the hotel. The rate also includes breakfast. We have booked a private guide and will have a much more comprehensive tour in Prague than that listed in the AMA itinerary. We figured in the costs and saved about $750 pp by DIY.[/quote]

thanks so much for this information. I was quoted $1170 for the 3 night Prague extension and can see from the Old Hilton website I could book an executive room (which includes wifi and breakfast) for less than half that cost. On my tour, the only included activity was the morning city tour and the other excursions are all optional add-ons. I had added in the price of rail tickets to Vilshofen ($120) and decided that doing my own thing was definitely the way to go - I'll book tickets to the ballet and a tour guide. But your information makes things even easier - to be able to pay for the transfer and the tour in Regensburg en route to the ship is just great. I have emailed my travel agent to enquire! thanks again.

[quote name='trinitygirl']thanks so much for this information. I was quoted $1170 for the 3 night Prague extension and can see from the Old Hilton website I could book an executive room (which includes wifi and breakfast) for less than half that cost. On my tour, the only included activity was the morning city tour and the other excursions are all optional add-ons. I had added in the price of rail tickets to Vilshofen ($120) and decided that doing my own thing was definitely the way to go - I'll book tickets to the ballet and a tour guide. But your information makes things even easier - to be able to pay for the transfer and the tour in Regensburg en route to the ship is just great. I have emailed my travel agent to enquire! thanks again.[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome. I am glad the information was useful. Be sure to check on the hotel for your sailing. I have been told that AMA does not always use the Hilton.

[quote name='sippican']You are very welcome. I am glad the information was useful. Be sure to check on the hotel for your sailing. I have been told that AMA does not always use the Hilton.[/QUOTE]

When we were in Budapest with AMA last May we disembarked there and were put in the Sofitel near the Chain Bridge. Our trip was affected by the flooding so we were unable to sail that far. The people who were to continue their trip on the boat were put in the Hilton.

[quote name='trinitygirl']thanks so much for this information. I was quoted $1170 for the 3 night Prague extension and can see from the Old Hilton website I could book an executive room (which includes wifi and breakfast) for less than half that cost. On my tour, the only included activity was the morning city tour and the other excursions are all optional add-ons. I had added in the price of rail tickets to Vilshofen ($120) and decided that doing my own thing was definitely the way to go - I'll book tickets to the ballet and a tour guide. But your information makes things even easier - to be able to pay for the transfer and the tour in Regensburg en route to the ship is just great. I have emailed my travel agent to enquire! thanks again.[/quote]

We did the same thing. We booked a hotel with WiFi etc. and the bus from Prague To Vilshofen including tour in Regensburg. Plus we booked a private guide for two 1/2 days in Prague. Still not 1100 dollars. We would love to share the guide with someone if they are compatible. We are on the June 25 sailing and have 1/2 day in Jewish qrtr and 1/2 day in general city...plus plenty of time to wander on our own in afternoons and evening. Where did you find Ballet? When we go we cannot find any scheduled. Thanks.

[quote name='bocaraton']We did the same thing. We booked a hotel with WiFi etc. and the bus from Prague To Vilshofen including tour in Regensburg. Plus we booked a private guide for two 1/2 days in Prague. Still not 1100 dollars. We would love to share the guide with someone if they are compatible. We are on the June 25 sailing and have 1/2 day in Jewish qrtr and 1/2 day in general city...plus plenty of time to wander on our own in afternoons and evening. Where did you find Ballet? When we go we cannot find any scheduled. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hello, we are doing the same AMA cruise but in November. Like you, we are booking our own hotel, tours in Prague but using the ship's transfer from Prague to Vilshofen. Would you mind sharing the name of your private guide in Prague? As you and others have mentioned, the cost difference when choosing to DIY is significant and there is more control over what you see and how you spend your time. Thanks

[quote name='purduemom1']Hello, we are doing the same AMA cruise but in November. Like you, we are booking our own hotel, tours in Prague but using the ship's transfer from Prague to Vilshofen. Would you mind sharing the name of your private guide in Prague? As you and others have mentioned, the cost difference when choosing to DIY is significant and there is more control over what you see and how you spend your time. Thanks[/quote]

We do not mind sharing at all. We were very thorough and hope they work out. We like to do more things in depth and spend less on hotels etc. But, we would not pick a low end hotel..but the differences go a long way. However, private guides are expensive. If you research you can ask to see specific things and they do a better job when they think you know something of the area. Their prices are high and non negotiable. So, do not be shocked. To us it is worth it.
please tell them we sent you so maybe they will see we both network and do a superior job. I will private message you our name and email. Our guides are Prague: Martin Belhodoratsky (we took him after several others were booked). His website not that impressive, but our communication with him is excellent. Our guide office for Budapest is Andrea Makkey. She could not do it as booked but is sending someone who sounds great. Again she was booked. OUr two hotels are : In Prague the Maximilian, In Budapest: The Gerloscy. They both are small and charming. One actually recommended by Rick Steves. Both are central. I have arranged for each of them to pick us up by taxi..In Prague from the airport and in Budapest from the dock. When we get off in Budapest, the guide is meeting us at hotel at 10 am. and will review what Ama showed us on the 1/2 day tour and will not duplicate unless we want. for 1/2 day we are doing old city on foot..with emphasis on Jewish qrtrs. You may not want to spend us much time there. But old city has other stuff and is for doing by foot. Next day we are doing a huge amount of rest of city by van or car. We still are trying to find someone compatible to share the guides. But really all told if it adds up to Ama's price, I still think we have the best. We are not going back in the morning :-) and want to see as much as we can in depth without getting exhausted. I will private email you my email and name so you can ask me anything about this. If you remember, we will be back July 5 and you can email us and we will tell you about experiences, but guides book up very early. We are NOT the only geniuses who do this. Hope this helps.

[quote name='purduemom1']Hello, we are doing the same AMA cruise but in November. Like you, we are booking our own hotel, tours in Prague but using the ship's transfer from Prague to Vilshofen. Would you mind sharing the name of your private guide in Prague? As you and others have mentioned, the cost difference when choosing to DIY is significant and there is more control over what you see and how you spend your time. Thanks[/quote]
Just sent you long reply but cannot seem to click through to your private message where it says: send purdue mom a private message. Our email is: [EMAIL="themayblums@yahoo.com"]themayblums@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] if u want to contact us.

please send your email so we will private message you., thanks...cant click thru to private messagd. dont know why

We do not mind sharing at all. We were very thorough and hope they work out. We like to do more things in depth and spend less on hotels etc. But, we would not pick a low end hotel..but the differences go a long way. However, private guides are expensive. If you research you can ask to see specific things and they do a better job when they think you know something of the area. Their prices are high and non negotiable. So, do not be shocked. To us it is worth it.
please tell them we sent you so maybe they will see we both network and do a superior job. I will private message you our name and email. Our guides are Prague: Martin Belhodoratsky (we took him after several others were booked). His website not that impressive, but our communication with him is excellent. Our guide office for Budapest is Andrea Makkey. She could not do it as booked but is sending someone who sounds great. Again she was booked. OUr two hotels are : In Prague the Maximilian, In Budapest: The Gerloscy. They both are small and charming. One actually recommended by Rick Steves. Both are central. I have arranged for each of them to pick us up by taxi..In Prague from the airport and in Budapest from the dock. When we get off in Budapest, the guide is meeting us at hotel at 10 am. and will review what Ama showed us on the 1/2 day tour and will not duplicate unless we want. for 1/2 day we are doing old city on foot..with emphasis on Jewish qrtrs. You may not want to spend us much time there. But old city has other stuff and is for doing by foot. Next day we are doing a huge amount of rest of city by van or car. We still are trying to find someone compatible to share the guides. But really all told if it adds up to Ama's price, I still think we have the best. We are not going back in the morning :-) and want to see as much as we can in depth without getting exhausted. I will private email you my email and name so you can ask me anything about this. If you remember, we will be back July 5 and you can email us and we will tell you about experiences, but guides book up very early. We are NOT the only geniuses who do this. Hope this helps.

[quote name='bocaraton']We did the same thing. We booked a hotel with WiFi etc. and the bus from Prague To Vilshofen including tour in Regensburg. Plus we booked a private guide for two 1/2 days in Prague. Still not 1100 dollars. We would love to share the guide with someone if they are compatible. We are on the June 25 sailing and have 1/2 day in Jewish qrtr and 1/2 day in general city...plus plenty of time to wander on our own in afternoons and evening. Where did you find Ballet? When we go we cannot find any scheduled. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, Bocaraton, I see that you did decide to take the bus transfer (earlier you had mentioned a private car). I think the transfer will be very easy. Did you choose a guide for Vienna?

[quote name='purduemom1']Hello, we are doing the same AMA cruise but in November. Like you, we are booking our own hotel, tours in Prague but using the ship's transfer from Prague to Vilshofen. Would you mind sharing the name of your private guide in Prague? As you and others have mentioned, the cost difference when choosing to DIY is significant and there is more control over what you see and how you spend your time. Thanks[/QUOTE]

We are using a private guide in Prague - Eva Trklova. She has been wonderful in all aspects of communcation and meeting our needs. We are very much looking forward to our day with her.
[url]http://www.trkalova.guide-prague.cz[/url]

We were very fortunate to book Andrea Makkay in Budapest.

For what it's worth, the Private Message function is used by the board moderators to communicate directly with members. Not for member to member contact as on some other travel sites. It is very nice gesture to be willing to provide individual assistance to fellow cruisers but be very careful about posting your personal e-mail address, you may find yourself spammed by many unwanted messages that can be picked up by software that recognizes an e-mail address when posted. You may want to post it in a form like: the may blums at yahoo dot com (no spaces) for a bit of added protection from junk. Edited by sippican

[quote name='sippican']Ahhhh, Bocaraton, I see that you did decide to take the bus transfer (earlier you had mentioned a private car). I think the transfer will be very easy. Did you choose a guide for Vienna?

We are using a private guide in Prague - Eva Trklova. She has been wonderful in all aspects of communcation and meeting our needs. We are very much looking forward to our day with her.
[URL]http://www.trkalova.guide-prague.cz[/URL]

We were very fortunate to book Andrea Makkay in Budapest.

For what it's worth, the Private Message function is used by the board moderators to communicate directly with members. Not for member to member contact as on some other travel sites. It is very nice gesture to be willing to provide individual assistance to fellow cruisers but be very careful about posting your personal e-mail address, you may find yourself spammed by many unwanted messages that can be picked up by software that recognizes an e-mail address when posted. You may want to post it in a form like: the may blums at yahoo dot com (no spaces) for a bit of added protection from junk.[/quote]
great idea about how to break up name. we have posted and never received a spam message from it. maybe just lucky. think for Vienna we will just relax and wander. I have always been able to send private messages and receive them..dont know why i cannot find correct button this time. I think I used to click on the name and some options came up.

[quote name='bocaraton']We do not mind sharing at all. We were very thorough and hope they work out. We like to do more things in depth and spend less on hotels etc. But, we would not pick a low end hotel..but the differences go a long way. However, private guides are expensive. If you research you can ask to see specific things and they do a better job when they think you know something of the area. Their prices are high and non negotiable. So, do not be shocked. To us it is worth it.
please tell them we sent you so maybe they will see we both network and do a superior job. I will private message you our name and email. Our guides are Prague: Martin Belhodoratsky (we took him after several others were booked). His website not that impressive, but our communication with him is excellent. Our guide office for Budapest is Andrea Makkey. She could not do it as booked but is sending someone who sounds great. Again she was booked. OUr two hotels are : In Prague the Maximilian, In Budapest: The Gerloscy. They both are small and charming. One actually recommended by Rick Steves. Both are central. I have arranged for each of them to pick us up by taxi..In Prague from the airport and in Budapest from the dock. When we get off in Budapest, the guide is meeting us at hotel at 10 am. and will review what Ama showed us on the 1/2 day tour and will not duplicate unless we want. for 1/2 day we are doing old city on foot..with emphasis on Jewish qrtrs. You may not want to spend us much time there. But old city has other stuff and is for doing by foot. Next day we are doing a huge amount of rest of city by van or car. We still are trying to find someone compatible to share the guides. But really all told if it adds up to Ama's price, I still think we have the best. We are not going back in the morning :-) and want to see as much as we can in depth without getting exhausted. I will private email you my email and name so you can ask me anything about this. If you remember, we will be back July 5 and you can email us and we will tell you about experiences, but guides book up very early. We are NOT the only geniuses who do this. Hope this helps.[/quote]

You've got mail:)

sippican Thank you for the link. I have read good reviews about her. I am glad to have some good recommendations to check out. Love that about this site!

We also have booked Andrea for a Budapest tour. Not sure when your trip is, but hopefully you will review and let us know how it all went.

[quote name='purduemom1']sippican Thank you for the link. I have read good reviews about her. I am glad to have some good recommendations to check out. Love that about this site!

We also have booked Andrea for a Budapest tour. Not sure when your trip is, but hopefully you will review and let us know how it all went.[/quote]

Andrea was booked for our dates so she gave us someone else who seems to meet all our criteria. Ours is in June which is soon and we are very happy with all Andrea has done to follow through.

[quote name='purduemom1']We also have booked Andrea for a Budapest tour. Not sure when your trip is, but hopefully you will review and let us know how it all went.[/QUOTE]

We are on the July 8th sailing. Seems like it is coming up quickly now that May is here.
We will be sure to report back. River cruising will be a new experience for us and we are really looking forward to the trip.

Just wondering if any of you who did this trip back in 2014 would mind sharing a follow up as to how all your private bookings went. We are doing a Christmas one with AMA this Dec 2017 and looking to book hotels and guides on our own in Prague and Budapest and would love to hear your experiences with all if you don't mind sharing. Many Thanks.