Dynamic Dining

It's pretty clear what the writing on the wall is.

They are trying to cater to the younger generations. As said in the cruise conference a few weeks ago, the cruise industry is struggling with 21-30yr old demographic. It's one of the driving reasons they are upgrading the internet onboard so much. I know all you long time cruisers like the MDR, consistency, etc, but people like options and choices now-a-days.

Well I don't fall into the younger generation and I'm very excited by these choices - and internet is a very important ingredient to me too.

The more I cruise, the more the traditional MDR concept seems a bit stale. We always eat in Speciality restaurants at least once, but it does become pricey, so the idea of being able to eat under a different concept (some of it for free) sounds great. As does the idea that on the nights I want to make the effort and get dressed up I don't feel out of place alongside people in shorts - which happened to us on formal night on Allure recently.

My only problem is how I'm going to fit in so many choices on my 3-day Anthem cruise :eek:

Edited by Bobal

It's pretty clear what the writing on the wall is.

They are trying to cater to the younger generations. As said in the cruise conference a few weeks ago, the cruise industry is struggling with 21-30yr old demographic. It's one of the driving reasons they are upgrading the internet onboard so much. I know all you long time cruisers like the MDR, consistency, etc, but people like options and choices now-a-days.

Times are changing, and royal is getting on-board. You can also bet your bottom dollar, that this concept will be on Oasis 3.

It's only 2 ships. I don't think that it will become common on all of the other 21 ships. Internet upgrade--Really--It's the slowest it has ever been, plus the higher costs. On the Allure we heard that the internet was upgraded, but to send a short e-mail message it used approximately 10 of the 30 free minutes allotted, plus freezing and this was in the Caribbean.

It's only 2 ships. I don't think that it will become common on all of the other 21 ships. Internet upgrade--Really--It's the slowest it has ever been, plus the higher costs. QUOTE]

Not to turn this into a technology thread as the focus is on dining, but as we move toward 5G connectivity with our tablets and phones, we will not need the cruise line in the same way. They will enhance the service with software and apps that will add to the experience.

Whether this is 3 years or 5 years from now is the question, but they have no choice but to move with society.

There will always be those that adapt quickly to the changes and thus choose the latest ships applying the latest trends and then others will choose maybe not to have the same degree of connectivity and choose a more traditional cruise product.

Now here is my 2 cents worth. When I'm on a cruise, I am on vacation. Phone gets locked up and shut off. No internet, no email, no bothers. The one time I did leave my phone on accidentally, I was on my way to Cozumel and got a call from a head hunter about a job and actually broke out laughing at them because after I explained exactly where I was, she started laughing too. So I would have to say that yes, all this technology is great for the younger people, those who have been surgically attached to their devices and those who can't leave their jobs at the office or similar. I want to escape for those few precious days.

I apologize I am so grumpy. I just never imagined this and am so very disappointed. I hope the grump face icon will warn everyone there's someone grumping here and just skip over if you don't want to hear an old grump being an old grump.

UGH!

Had I know this when booking, we'd have booked the other cruise we were considering for our transatlantic in place of the Quantum's trip across. I already bought my mask, gown, and jewelry for the previously announced Black and White Masque formal night and everything!

I wasn't sure about this whole cruise idea, but let my DH talk me into it purely because I would love to see him in a tux, I think it would be fun to get all froufrou'd up for formal night myself and wow him, and I was looking forward to possibly meeting new friends over dinners. While DH is excellent company, I was looking forward to the things that would be different and special about a cruise. Without the MDR experience isn't it just going out to dinner like you could any other night of the week at home, and for far less cost? We could just as well have stayed the few more days in Europe and had many, many more dining options for every meal.

Good thing we have the outings with our Roll Call group to look forward to. We have the most excellent Roll Call group in all of CC. I guess not needing to figure out a gown is a plus for those who haven't already purchased, and figuring out DH's measurements for a tux was something we hadn't even tried to do yet. I rather feel we've been sold the old bait and switch as I was specifically told by two different customer service people at RCI we'd be able to switch to a traditional MDR time later on when I asked during booking and again when I called back to check up on it.

Now here is my 2 cents worth. When I'm on a cruise, I am on vacation. Phone gets locked up and shut off. No internet, no email, no bothers. The one time I did leave my phone on accidentally, I was on my way to Cozumel and got a call from a head hunter about a job and actually broke out laughing at them because after I explained exactly where I was, she started laughing too. So I would have to say that yes, all this technology is great for the younger people, those who have been surgically attached to their devices and those who can't leave their jobs at the office or similar. I want to escape for those few precious days.

I like connectivity to stay in touch with my children and pet caregivers. We typically take a vacation with the teenagers and then have an adult parent vacation:p While I understand your point about escaping, I just cannot seem to do it if I am worried constantly about home so upgraded technology is a perk for me!

I like connectivity to stay in touch with my children and pet caregivers. We typically take a vacation with the teenagers and then have an adult parent vacation:p While I understand your point about escaping, I just cannot seem to do it if I am worried constantly about home so upgraded technology is a perk for me!

That's good for you then. We usually take our youngest child (15 yrs old now) with us and the rest of the kids are adults but the one time we did take a "parent's only" trip with my BIL & SIL, we were able to call them from ST. Thomas on our cells because it was US territory to check on them to see if they were driving their grandparents crazy yet because they had 3 of the grandkids for a week. LOL But I do have to say that when I'm on vacation, I don't care if a tidal wave takes out my house while I'm gone, I'll deal with it when I get home and I have an awesome person who we bring our dog to so I know he's in good hands and I won't have to worry. I'm very lucky in that respect.

Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It’s dining at seas, reimagined - to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strongly recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests. For more information, please contact your travel agent or go to http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com.

I understand the resistance to change, but they do have many problems with dining onboard the ships now and they are only trying to find a solution to maximize the cruise experience for all.

Read what they actually state in the description of 'Dynamic Dining'

Exploration = Optional choices, Variety, new experiences

Dining at Sea, reimagined (new world) = Not anything you have already experienced or thought of.... thus not Freestyle or not Disney rotation

No Set dining times = Do not inconvenience others with an empty table waiting for you while you are enjoying that last cocktail in the lounge (noted as a solo sitting alone at a table for 10 on one night recently and sitting with the same 4 guests at our Liberty TA 10 top, on night 3 of 12 they took away 2 chairs and we were then the same 4 of 8 showing up each night. The other 4 guests refused to give up their seats at our table, but never came to dinner for the entire sailing)

Pre-cruise reservations = as everyone is forced to make the same choices, those wishing to sit with others, could be placed at a table with those making the same choices. Today table placement is based mostly only on age and nationality (language) and not everyone is as happy as some like to present here with the tables they end up at.

No required formal nights = those opting in get that experience and dine with other like minded cruisers, those opting out do not have the stress often associated with their choice to not participate.

What would stop those that meet on CC or other social media or have been on previous sailings together from making the 'same' choices and then having the traditional dining experience, just in a new maybe more exciting format.

I apologize I am so grumpy. I just never imagined this and am so very disappointed. I hope the grump face icon will warn everyone there's someone grumping here and just skip over if you don't want to hear an old grump being an old grump.

UGH!

Had I know this when booking, we'd have booked the other cruise we were considering for our transatlantic in place of the Quantum's trip across. I already bought my mask, gown, and jewelry for the previously announced Black and White Masque formal night and everything!

I wasn't sure about this whole cruise idea, but let my DH talk me into it purely because I would love to see him in a tux, I think it would be fun to get all froufrou'd up for formal night myself and wow him, and I was looking forward to possibly meeting new friends over dinners. While DH is excellent company, I was looking forward to the things that would be different and special about a cruise. Without the MDR experience isn't it just going out to dinner like you could any other night of the week at home, and for far less cost? We could just as well have stayed the few more days in Europe and had many, many more dining options for every meal.

Good thing we have the outings with our Roll Call group to look forward to. We have the most excellent Roll Call group in all of CC. I guess not needing to figure out a gown is a plus for those who haven't already purchased, and figuring out DH's measurements for a tux was something we hadn't even tried to do yet. I rather feel we've been sold the old bait and switch as I was specifically told by two different customer service people at RCI we'd be able to switch to a traditional MDR time later on when I asked during booking and again when I called back to check up on it.

Aw Gertie, breath deeply and say after me...it will be a fantastic Maiden Voyage on Quantum of the Seas...I will not be grumpy...I will be happy...everything will work out fine. !!

I am sure there will still be some kind of traditional dining.....oh heck I hope so

Just remember you are leading the first ever Bumper car event on the Quantum of the Seas...you will do a great job I am sure....and you will be smiling !!

Now go relax for a few hours and we will chat later on our great roll call :D

Though I will admit I didnt sleep last night thinking about the dining options but hey Royal won't let us down...hopefully :eek:

Aw Gertie, breath deeply and say after me...it will be a fantastic Maiden Voyage on Quantum of the Seas...

Though I will admit I didnt sleep last night thinking about the dining options but hey Royal won't let us down...hopefully :eek:

I am really looking forward to the maiden voyage and while not participating heavily on the roll-call due to the fact that something work related could always come up and I would be forced to cancel, I really enjoy being a part of the excitement generated there.

Thanks Elizanessie for getting this whole discussion started yesterday with your original post about the dining options. It was fascinating to follow events throughout the day, especially the Wikipedia activity.

It's only 2 ships. I don't think that it will become common on all of the other 21 ships. Internet upgrade--Really--It's the slowest it has ever been, plus the higher costs. On the Allure we heard that the internet was upgraded, but to send a short e-mail message it used approximately 10 of the 30 free minutes allotted, plus freezing and this was in the Caribbean.

One last tidbit about the internet on board. It's not available yet. RCCL had a press release on the 21st. Oasis, Allure and Quantum will have more wireless capability than every cruise ship in the world combined. They reduced the response time from 750ms to 140ms. In other words, you'll be able to skype video call and stream movies to your devices. It also says Royal will be using the new internet for technological innovations. I'm hoping they use it for Ship texting over Wifi.

Royal Caribbean to introduce Dynamic Dining to replace traditional cruise dining

Dynamic Dining, a new world of culinary exploration onboard Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas has been selected for this reservation. It's dining at sea reimagined - to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights. Instead, let your appetite be the guide, as 18 tantalizing possibilities lay before you. Daily reservations can be made for select restaurants on-line up to 4 days prior to departure at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/PreCruisePlanner. Reservations can also be made or amended onboard. Pre-cruise reservations are strong recommended to confirm your desired dining time at your restaurant of choice and ensure reduced wait times. Dynamic Dining does not guarantee multiple tables together for parties of over 16 guests.

Dynamic Dining also seems to confirm the earlier list of new restaurants on Anthem of the Seas that was leaked online as well.

This change will eliminate the main dining room all together and offer a number of restaurants for passengers to choose and further reduce the formality of set dining times as well as relax dress codes.

Royal Caribbean is expected to make the formal announcement about Dynamic Dining and other dining options onboard its Quantum-class cruise ships later tonight. Royal Caribbean Blog will provide live coverage of the event.

Edited by bobabooey

I am really looking forward to the maiden voyage and while not participating heavily on the roll-call due to the fact that something work related could always come up and I would be forced to cancel, I really enjoy being a part of the excitement generated there.

Thanks Elizanessie for getting this whole discussion started yesterday with your original post about the dining options. It was fascinating to follow events throughout the day, especially the Wikipedia activity.

I do hope work doesn't get in the way and you are still able to join us on the Maiden Voyage..it is going to be so exciting taking the ship Home for the very first time :D

It was just pure luck that I found the dining options although some folks were not happy I did :o Hope RCCL still let me on the ship :eek:

I don't think I will be rushing to sail on the Quantum with this dining set up. I either cruise alone, cruise with a friend, or cruise with my mother. This really wouldn't work as a solo cruiser at least not for me. I enjoy meeting new people on cruises, but eating alone every night doesn't sound like much fun. I think it would be more difficult to find people to eat with on the Quantum than on a ship with a more traditional set up.

The same is true when I sail with friends. My girlfriends and I also like to sit at large tables with lots of people.

This also makes formal nights a lot less fun, in my opinion. For me, its a lot of fun to get all dressed up when the other three thousand people on board are also all dressed up. It makes it a very festive, classy atmosphere. I enjoy the Captain's reception, and getting my picture taken when I'm all dressed up. I think it would be weird being all dressed up to eat in a little dining room with maybe 50 or even a hundred other people, when the other three thousand plus are walking around in shorts, sundresses and Dockers to head to dinner.

The only time this type of dining would work for me is if I sail with my mom, because we don't see each other very much and would probably be looking for a table for two in the main dining room anyway.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzin-K

I'm honestly bummed about this because the main dining room's on the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class have always captivated me. It has always been one of my favorite spaces onboard! I also love having the same waiter every night!!! :(

Not a fan of dynamic/freestyle dining. We booked with RCCL because of the MDR allowing us to select 2nd sitting and being able to eat with the same people, same wait staff. Like that after 1st meal wait staff automatically learns our preferences.

Also, what is the point of doing away with traditional dining and then having to make a reservation to dine -- seems a little counter productive.

If I wanted freestyle, I would book with NCL! Between having to reserve seats for the shows and dining to avoid being waitlisted, seems that the buffet will end up being the dining choice for many. :(

I can understand RCCL wanting to get as revenue from each and every sailing via speciality restaurants, charging a higher rate for the cabins, but when is enough enough!

Not happy about this change. Seems I will only be able to go on the smaller and older ships to avoid this dynamic dining.

MARAPRINCE

Not a fan of dynamic/freestyle dining. We booked with RCCL because of the MDR allowing us to select 2nd sitting and being able to eat with the same people, same wait staff. Like that after 1st meal wait staff automatically learns our preferences.

Also, what is the point of doing away with traditional dining and then having to make a reservation to dine -- seems a little counter productive.

If I wanted freestyle, I would book with NCL! Between having to reserve seats for the shows and dining to avoid being waitlisted, seems that the buffet will end up being the dining choice for many. :(

I can understand RCCL wanting to get as revenue from each and every sailing via speciality restaurants, charging a higher rate for the cabins, but when is enough enough!

Not happy about this change. Seems I will only be able to go on the smaller and older ships to avoid this dynamic dining.

MARAPRINCE

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Dynamic Dining either if it's going to all be anytime dining. We love our same waitstaff. UGHHHHH