Cruise Critic Community
SailinC2C

How Many Days of Cold Weather?

After seeing the Dining option video for Quantum I have to say I am hooked! We were going to do a 10 day out of Lauderdale next Jan but are seriously considering Quantum.

However.... more than once this winter I saw the Port Fever web cam showing a ship sailing out of NY harbor in a huge blizzard! Not my idea of a sailaway!

For those of you that have sailed from NY/NJ in the winter, how many days does it take until it is warm enough to sit in the sun?

I went in the summer, but I would venture to guess no later than lunch the day after leaving. By the second morning the ship would be somewhere off of Florida.

I just got off a 10 day Explorer cruise. It was in the 50's when we left...not bad weather at all. By the second sea day it was pretty warm...in the 70's. It was the reverse on the way home...the last sea day was a little cool.

After seeing the Dining option video for Quantum I have to say I am hooked! We were going to do a 10 day out of Lauderdale next Jan but are seriously considering Quantum.

However.... more than once this winter I saw the Port Fever web cam showing a ship sailing out of NY harbor in a huge blizzard! Not my idea of a sailaway!

For those of you that have sailed from NY/NJ in the winter, how many days does it take until it is warm enough to sit in the sun?

Sailed NCL out of NY in Nov. It was below freezing the night we left. By the next morning I was in jeans and a t-shirt; by that afternoon I was reading on our balcony comfortably. And I am a weather wimp - I'm usually freezing. :D

That trip was going pretty directly south to port canaveral; if you're on an itinerary that goes east instead of so far south (like bermuda) it won't get so warm so quickly.

I'm booked on the Jan 3 Quantum. I'm guessing most of the 4th will be indoors, but hopefully by late that afternoon we can enjoy the balcony, and by the 5th for sure. One other thing I like about leaving in cooler weather is going in the hot tubs - I don't like to go in them if the air temperature is hot, also.

This was my biggest concern leaving on march 2 on the explorer. Alot of the comment I got was that we were going to be wearing pants an jackets on our 2nd day. To our suprise, the weather was realy nice an we were wearing shorts. I'm sure that every week is different weather wise. But you shoud'nt let this stop you, aspecialy with this new ship. Even if the weather not good for the first days, I'm sure that you will find things to do on the ship. We already booked for the Quantum leaving from Bayonne NJ next march for 13 days.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I think we are Ok with a day and half of cooler weather. We've actually sailed from FLL and had a day of cold weather. I think the ship and the dining are certainly the draw. And our friends might switch from their Oasis B2B to join us so that will be great!