What is your favorite cruise line that no longer exists?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I miss the wonderful "CTC-Lines" (Charter Travel Company), closed it´s business suddenly end of 1997.

Always there where an interesting mix of soviet liners every year, for cruising from/to UK and Australia. Also often linevoyaging UK - Australia - UK or shipjet offers Singapore - Freemantle.

Low budget cruising makes CTC very popular earning western currency for the soviet state.

In germany also Jahn Reisen used exclusively a lot of soviet liners, offering "Cruising without fur"

(Kreuzfahrten ohne Nerz)

Gone is the time to see the world for a bargain!

Some employees/manager later founded CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages) - you can say - some of CTC-Lines lives on!

ctc89.jpg

• 2 months later...
It was my very first cruise. August 1983. Also my favourite as well.It had a successful careerer, until it was taken out of service due to fire aboard her.She was silenced forever in 1994 scrapped in Greece. She photo below.

I also was on Carla C in late August 1983 a few weeks before the invasion, I was with singleworld and there was about 50 of us.

Norwegian America and Home Lines. None can compare to either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could not agree more on your 2 companies. Before your thread, if someone asked me the same question I would have just said Home Lines. That said, now I would include Norwegian America as well. Who can forget the quiet elegance and luxury Norwegian America epitomized.

My cruising days are over after 135 of them. My last cruise was Oasis in August 2014. Debarkarkation morning closed my book on cruising. Being rushed through the dining room with a ice cream cone like serving of powdered eggs, well that was it. The luxury, the glamour, the elegance what was once cruising is now gone!

I could not agree more on your 2 companies. Before your thread, if someone asked me the same question I would have just said Home Lines. That said, now I would include Norwegian America as well. Who can forget the quiet elegance and luxury Norwegian America epitomized.

My cruising days are over after 135 of them. My last cruise was Oasis in August 2014. Debarkarkation morning closed my book on cruising. Being rushed through the dining room with a ice cream cone like serving of powdered eggs, well that was it. The luxury, the glamour, the elegance what was once cruising is now gone!

Too get what we used to get for free you need to book suite and eat in specialty restaurants . I have about 400 sea days since 1975

Completely agree with the above post, but......we're going on a Caribbean cruise next week. We're paying within $40 of what we paid over 30 years ago. Same cabin category, same length, same basic itinerary. According to the "money calculator" What a dollar bought then would now cost $1.53. That's a tad over 50% more. Rather than them charge 50% more, we just get 50% "less".

• 1 month later...

We honeymooned on the SS Rembrandt in 2000, which was part of Premier Cruise Lines. It was the former Rotterdam of Holland America. I just remember how romantic and quaint the ship felt.

I just read that the ship was purchased by the city of Rotterdam and it is now a museum.

Of course Premier and their Big Red Boat concept is probably responsible for today's family programming on several lines (including Disney).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Living here in NY the Italian LIne & Home LInes were the best...we did not sail on Sitmar until we flew to California & the several times out of Ft Lauderdale. I also loved the Lauro Line - my first!

All 3 lines were exceptional all around..people sailing today do not know what they missed!!!

I'm sad that I never did experience all the old liners and the wonderful Sitmar. Does that count as having a hint of an idea of what I've missed? :I

There Home Lines - Oceanic & Homeric is one of my best cruise ships thet no more exists

That being said, the Oceanic had an amazingly long life from 1965-2012. It's one of the blessings of being built as a genuine transatlantic ocean liner capable of taking the rough waves, the dents, and the dings. It's even more amazing when one considers that fact that it was steam powered to the end.

We honeymooned on the SS Rembrandt in 2000, which was part of Premier Cruise Lines. It was the former Rotterdam of Holland America. I just remember how romantic and quaint the ship felt.

I just read that the ship was purchased by the city of Rotterdam and it is now a museum.

Of course Premier and their Big Red Boat concept is probably responsible for today's family programming on several lines (including Disney).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

It also doubles as a hotel so if you are ever in Rotterdam for anything, I suspect it would make for a worthwhile visit. I certainly hope to visit one day and see 'Grand Dame' as she was known.

• 3 weeks later...

Without a doubt Home Lines, hands down. I had the good fortune of sailing on the Atlantic in 1982 and 1983 and the Homeric in 1986. Incomparable service, food and crew, nothing comes close these days....:(

• 2 months later...
American Hawaii Cruise Line. Classic looking ships, great food, and Hawaii! So much better tan Norwegian.

Yes, definitely American Hawaii Cruise Line. I sailed on the Independence shortly before their demise. Loved that cruise. Old ship but fun American staff, great shore excursions. Going back to Hawaii next year on POA, hopefully the same type of experience since I cruise often on NCL.