Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

Can anyone tell me where all the taxi tours take you? We will be going in December and cant decide whether to do a tour and Cinnamon with some snorkeling or to do Trunk and Cinnamon. We will be docked in St Thomas from 10a-7p.

Not sure if Trunk will be too crowded since we dock at 10am and are on Oasis with 5 other ships in port as well.

Totally agree with Host Anne regarding to take the ship's excursion to St. John's as oppose to getting to St. John's on your own. As to whether to go to Truck Bay or Cinnamon, since there will be 5 ships in port, Cinnamon may be less crowded. Taxis will give you both, some sightseeing and a beach.

Your photos are gorgeous! Do you know offhand if you were on the only boat in port that day? The beach looks nice and empty :)

Also do you or someone else on here know the name of where Carnival docks. I know it is not the one you were docked. Want to make sure I know the name to tell the taxi to take us back to the right one after visiting St. John in July.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics! I checked and yes we were the only ship in port that day. We docked at Havensight and it was so unbelievably easy to get from port to Red Hook and back. We got off the ship a little after 8:00 and told our taxi driver that we wanted to be to Red Hook in time to take the 9:00am ferry. She promised she would get us there in time and did with time to spare. There is a concession stand inside the terminal building in Red Hook so we just chilled there until they were ready to board. Don't be leery...it was so simple! You'll really be thankful you did!

We just visited Cinnamon Beach a few weeks ago for the first time. Did it ourselves via taxis and Red Hook Ferry. It was so incredibly simple thanks to Anne and other posters on this thread! Cinnamon was breathtaking and out of my 16 cruises is my favorite beach of all time! The sand was very soft and fine. The water was the prettiest shade of blue and very clear. We snorkeled all the way out to the island straight ahead and saw a ton of fish. Not much to see as far as colorful coral but the fish were plentiful! As far as amenities/concessions here is what we found: This is a campground with a small camp store. You can buy ice, beer, pop, water, bug spray, snacks, etc. However, upon inspection we noticed that many of the food items in the store were expired. Just about every bag of chips we looked at had expired in a March 2013. Individual cans of beer were $4 each. The restrooms were clean and were located about 1/2 way between where the cabs drop you off and the beach (but not on the beach). There is another small store on the beach where they rent chairs. No ice here but they did sell cans of beer ($4 each). They do not have loungers at this beach but instead rent small folding beach chairs (the ones that sit low to the ground). Chairs were $10 each with a $25 refundable deposit (either cash or credit card). I wish they had the loungers it would've made my stay there that much more enjoyable! There were a lot of Mosquitos. We ended up having to buy repellant from the camp store. Oh and we did visit the new bar right across from the ferry called Cruz Bay Landing. It has a very nice outdoor area and the staff were very friendly. Mixed drinks were $7 and beer was $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great info! How long did it take to travel back and forth? Was the beach nice enough to just throw out a blanket/large towel? Thanks again!

Thanks for the great info! How long did it take to travel back and forth? Was the beach nice enough to just throw out a blanket/large towel? Thanks again!

We got in cab at Havensight around 8:15am and told driver we wanted to make 9:00am ferry. The ride via open air taxi from Havensight to Red Hook was about 25 minutes so we got there about 8:40am. We bought our round trip tickets at the counter for $14pp then sat in concession area and waited as they do not allow boarding until like 8:50ish. We boarded and went straight to the upper deck. It was very nice up there but limited seating so try to get in line to board early if you want a seat up there. The ferry left promptly at 9:00am. It was about a 20 minute ferry ride. There were many taxis lined up as you walked off the dock at Cruz Bay. We grabbed a taxi, which by the way, was a pick up truck with bench seating in the back and a single rope to hold us in. LOL! The ride to Cinnamon was less than 15 minutes and $7pp. We left Cinnamon at 1:15ish to catch the 2:00pm ferry. There were taxis waiting there to take you to Cruz Bay. We didn't have to leave that early but wanted to play it safe. We had time to kill so sat at the new bar right across from the ferry called Cruz Bay Landing and had a few drinks before it was time to board. Once back at Red Hook there were a ton of taxis waiting to take us back to Havensight. As far as the condition of the beach, it was very clean and the sand was very fine and soft. I didn't like the little beach chairs that they rent so actually preferred to just lay on my towel. Hope this info. helps!

We got in cab at Havensight around 8:15am and told driver we wanted to make 9:00am ferry. The ride via open air taxi from Havensight to Red Hook was about 25 minutes so we got there about 8:40am. We bought our round trip tickets at the counter for $14pp then sat in concession area and waited as they do not allow boarding until like 8:50ish. We boarded and went straight to the upper deck. It was very nice up there but limited seating so try to get in line to board early if you want a seat up there. The ferry left promptly at 9:00am. It was about a 20 minute ferry ride. There were many taxis lined up as you walked off the dock at Cruz Bay. We grabbed a taxi, which by the way, was a pick up truck with bench seating in the back and a single rope to hold us in. LOL! The ride to Cinnamon was less than 15 minutes and $7pp. We left Cinnamon at 1:15ish to catch the 2:00pm ferry. There were taxis waiting there to take you to Cruz Bay. We didn't have to leave that early but wanted to play it safe. We had time to kill so sat at the new bar right across from the ferry called Cruz Bay Landing and had a few drinks before it was time to board. Once back at Red Hook there were a ton of taxis waiting to take us back to Havensight. As far as the condition of the beach, it was very clean and the sand was very fine and soft. I didn't like the little beach chairs that they rent so actually preferred to just lay on my towel. Hope this info. helps!

Do you remember roughly how much the taxi ride was between Havensight and the ferry? Thanks!

babyclaytonsmom ~ taxi from Havensight to Red Hook is $9 or $10 pp. You can negotiate with your taxi driver and if you agree to let them pick you up when you return to Red Hook from St. John, they will usually knock a dollar or two off the per person fee. The only thing you have to remember usually, is that you have to walk across the street when you get back to Red Hook to meet the ferry. Different taxi associations at Red Hook and Havensight so they can drop off at the entrance to the ferry terminal but not pick up.

Anytime we've asked a taxi to return for us in the afternoon, they are always there (it's nice to save some $$ when you have a large group of friends like we often do). If you make arrangements to take the same taxi back, make sure you look for them before taking another taxi.

If you don't want to mess with all of this, take any of the taxis from the ferry terminal back to the ship. It will likely be the same price as when you took the taxi to the ferry in the morning.

Do you remember roughly how much the taxi ride was between Havensight and the ferry? Thanks!

We paid $10pp from Havensight to Red Hook Ferry. We did not ask our driver to come back for us. Once we got back to Red Hook there were a ton of taxis lined up right outside the terminal door so we just took one of those. Again, it was $10pp for the return trip back to Havensight.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there are taxis lined up outside the Red Hook ferry terminal area waiting for fares. These will also give you a quick tour of Skyline Drive including the scenic overlook of CA and Drakes Seat and the magnificient view of Magens Bay. Great little tour on the return to the ship

• 2 months later...
Keerle ~ It's not feasible to do Maegan's Bay and St. John on the same day. Unfortunately, there is too much travel time involved. You can do two beaches on St. John in one day since they are so close. If you arrive early, do Trunk. If you want a second beach, hop to Hawksnest (which is before you get to Trunk) or Cinnamon (which is just after Trunk). There are plenty of taxis all day at Trunk and Cinnamon....there are some at Hawksnest but not as many.

Tuffy ~ credit cards are accepted all over the islands and at the concessions and equipment rental at Trunk & Cinnamon. There are a few restaurants here and there that want cash only but you are good at both beaches with credit card.

For rentals, they charge a $50 deposit for each beach chair we rent (rental was $7 per chair last year). They run the deposit separate from the rental fee and when you return the chair, they tear up the credit card receipt so the deposit charge is never charged. They'd charge only if you don't return the items. At least that's how it was done last year.

We've been to both many times. If you've never been to St. Thomas, it's definitely a pretty place to see. There are nice beaches and good shopping. However, after being there a few times and then experiencing St. John, for us there's no comparison. While it takes a little more effort to get to St. John, there is far less traffic, the scenery is spectacular, we like the beach much better and great food and shopping if you are interested in that.

I have never heard of paying a deposit for the chair. Does that mean you have to carry the chair?

If doing the island tour, how long does that take? Is there time for lunch after tour before getting back on ferry? (if you don't go to beach?). Where would be a nice lunch spot?

Edited by skiiergirl

I have never heard of paying a deposit for the chair. Does that mean you have to carry the chair?

Yes. You rent he chair at the concession and carry it to the beach. It isn't far and the chairs are small. There are a few loungers available (the webbed, plastic kind), but mostly they have lightweight beach chairs.

You're welcome. You can see the chairs in the pictures that are already posted above.

When we were there in May it was not crowded at all and we go the last two loungers available. So, on a busy day there may be a real shortage of chairs!

Thanks so much. This would not work for us so am so glad I saw all of this. We need the sturdy, comfy, chaise lounge type chairs with large (or multiple) umbrellas.

Thinking it. Ought still be fun to go to St J since we have never been even though we have been to St T a zillion times. Thinking maybe just island tour and maybe lunch. Can you see the beaches from an island tour or do you have to walk away from the taxi to "see" them?

Thanks so much for the great info!!!

All of this information has been amazing and the pictures posted are something akin to a post card!

Do any of the beaches have the water inflatables for kids? I'm bringing an 11 & 13 yr old along and sometimes sand and water isn't quite enough. Kids these days!! 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much. This would not work for us so am so glad I saw all of this. We need the sturdy, comfy, chaise lounge type chairs with large (or multiple) umbrellas.

Thinking it. Ought still be fun to go to St J since we have never been even though we have been to St T a zillion times. Thinking maybe just island tour and maybe lunch. Can you see the beaches from an island tour or do you have to walk away from the taxi to "see" them?

Thanks so much for the great info!!!

Skiier ~ the only places I can think of on the island that might have the kind of lounge chairs you are looking for is Caneel Bay or the Westin. The Westin isn't really an option for those visiting from a cruise. It's south of Cruz Bay and away from all the great north beaches.

Yes, on an island tour you can see many of the north shore beaches and all the taxi drivers stop at the various overlooks so you can get out and take photos of the beaches.

If you take an island tour and then head back to Cruz Bay to enjoy lunch, you'll find lots of great options to enjoy lunch.

All of this information has been amazing and the pictures posted are something akin to a post card!

Do any of the beaches have the water inflatables for kids? I'm bringing an 11 & 13 yr old along and sometimes sand and water isn't quite enough. Kids these days!! 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know they have the noodles you can rent but I'm not sure about inflatables. Let me check my photos and see if I have any of the shop where you rent items.

There's a new store upstairs across from St John Spice, Beach Bum, that has snorkel gear for rent and inflatables for sale/rent. Better to rent there than at Trunk. Cheaper.

This is probably quicker, too. Renting at the beach can be very slow...factor in island time. A stop to rent in Cruz Bay is a good option! Thanks, Ms411!

Skiier ~ the only places I can think of on the island that might have the kind of lounge chairs you are looking for is Caneel Bay or the Westin. The Westin isn't really an option for those visiting from a cruise. It's south of Cruz Bay and away from all the great north beaches.

Yes, on an island tour you can see many of the north shore beaches and all the taxi drivers stop at the various overlooks so you can get out and take photos of the beaches.

If you take an island tour and then head back to Cruz Bay to enjoy lunch, you'll find lots of great options to enjoy lunch.

Thanks!!! What is the usual duration of an island tour? Do the taxis at the ferry offer this like on most of the other islands? Pricing? Thx!

Edited by skiiergirl

Hey Anne,

This isn't related to this post. Just wanted to say I was hoping you would be on the Silhouette post-TG cruise sailing Nov. 30th. Getting near retirement (months); was hoping to talk to you about sailing abroad and specifically on Celebrity. :-(