EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Balcony Cigar Smoker & My Opinion on Policy

So when we get back to our stateroom after our quick port side walk there to greet us on our table was a silver doomed dish with a letter. Below is what was under the dome.

CE14HX_%25201639-XL.jpg

Why? I guess my title makes it kind of obvious. Celebrity's apology for an other guests actions on their balcony. Not Celebrity's fault but the fault of a fellow inconsiderate guest. So here goes...

It was during the second sea day (Sunday) Ken and I were out on Balcony and I could smell Cigar Smoke. My First thoughts were... wow that wind is really strong for that cigar smoke to be either coming up from Deck 5 or down from Deck 15. I Know realize that second part of my thought made no sense because the Deck 15 smoking is at the back of Deck 15 not the front. I ignored the smoke and Ken and I soon left our balconies not mentioning anything to Donna. Fast forward to Tuesday and after we left St Kitts Donna was out on the Balcony by herself. She could also smell cigar smoke but was not going to ignore like i did. Donna was like me and though it might be drifting up from the allowable smoking area. Then she took a peak/look to each side of the balcony because the cigar smell was to strong for "Drift". That is when she noticed a gentleman in 1505 flicking/butting his ashes on the railing and into the wind. Of course Donna is not as Cruise Critic savvy as we are and did not know for sure that smoking was not permitted on balconies. So Donna phoned Guest Services to inquire. Within 15 minutes the telephone rang and there was somebody outside of our door so Donna invited this Guest Services (not sure but Donna said she had a uniform on) person in to see the violator (Mr. 1505) with her own eyes. The gentleman in 1505 was still out there smoking his stogie and pretty obvious he was now busted by Guest Service personnel. Now I returned a few minutes later and Donna recapped the whole story to me. That is when I told Donna my cigar smell story. So I went out on Deck and low and behold Mr. 1505 is still out there smoking and flicking his cigar. So Donna gave another call to Guest Service just to alert them that Mr. 1505 had not stopped smoking.

When we were coming back from Tuscan that evening I noticed a folded piece of paper that was lying in the hall very close to our door. I picked it up and it was a copy of the Celebrity Smoking Policy. So I am pretty sure this must of slipped or fell out of Mr. 1505's pocket, he wouldn't tossed it there would he?, so I picked the paper up and placed it in Mr. 1505's mail slot because I am sure he will want to review the policy latter. Now I can't say for sure if Guest Services spoke directly to Mr. 1505 or just dropped off a copy of the smoking policy in his mail slot. But it worked no further cigar smoke from Mr. 1505. Thank You Celebrity.

So here is copy of the letter from Celebrity apologizing for something that was not their fault. Another reason why we will continue to book with Celebrity. Should also mention that Celebrity followed up with phone calls to make sure that the problem was solved. We thanked them and told them that the Starwberries were not necessary but appreciated.

CE14HX_%25201641-XL.jpg

While I am on this topic of smoking I also want to give my "review" of Celebrity's smoking policy. I think that Celebrity is one of the industry leaders as far as their smoking policies but, they could do BETTER. This next comment is a point I want to make to Celebrity which I have mentioned in their surveys. Me as the guest I have the choice whether or not I want to enter the Celebrity smoking areas and be around second hand smoke but your (Celebrity) employees do not have that same choice. Smokers today are by far in the minority and are also a small minority on Celebrity ships. It is just such a pity that so few can ruin a public area for so many. Please Celebrity continue to be a industry leader by tightening/reducing down your smoking areas to eventually eliminating them. The following was my opinion and my wish for Celebrity.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Good for you for BUSTING the offenders. I know someone was smoking cigarettes in our area on the 4/4 cruise but I could never find them. We were in 1501. I almost booked 1505. I would have been really mad if I'd had that cabin right after the cigar smokers.

I really hope they were fined too. I think there is a $250 cleaning fee or fine if you're caught smoking. I think the fine should be $1,000 , and I also think that it should be a form that you fill out at check in ch k-in agreeing not to smoke o that a fine will be Imposed, or maybe we DID fill out a paper like that ?

Galley Tour

On our previous Celebrity cruises Donna and I never attended the "free" galley tour. Last year on Silhouette Ken and I did the "Behind the Scenes VIP Tour" $150 excursion which included a galley tour but there were only 8 of us. Back in 2011 we did do a free Carnival Valor galley tour which was fun.

Thanks for the pics. Was this galley tour free? I've always wanted to do one, but never got the chance.

Coming up Kevin Screws Up. Pretty hard to believe I know?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

You already did. :D The pictures above of The Library and Team Earth are the same photo. :eek:

I'm not busting your chops, I'm just paying great attention to your wonderful review.

Mark -

Hi Kevin,

I notice from the picture of Donna's hot chocolate that there was no lid. I'm such a klutz and there's no way I would walk around with a hot beverage with no lid - so I guess my question is - Are the lids readily available with the paper cups?

Hi Kevin,

I notice from the picture of Donna's hot chocolate that there was no lid. I'm such a klutz and there's no way I would walk around with a hot beverage with no lid - so I guess my question is - Are the lids readily available with the paper cups?

I always want a lid also. Yes, lids are available at the counter.

You already did. :D The pictures above of The Library and Team Earth are the same photo. :eek:

I'm not busting your chops, I'm just paying great attention to your wonderful review.

Mark -

Gosh darn it. I did mess up didn't I? Here is the picture I meat to post. I was all flustered because I first typed Planet Earth.

CE14GW_%25200882-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Good for you for BUSTING the offenders. I know someone was smoking cigarettes in our area on the 4/4 cruise but I could never find them. We were in 1501. I almost booked 1505. I would have been really mad if I'd had that cabin right after the cigar smokers.

I really hope they were fined too. I think there is a $250 cleaning fee or fine if you're caught smoking. I think the fine should be $1,000 , and I also think that it should be a form that you fill out at check in ch k-in agreeing not to smoke o that a fine will be Imposed, or maybe we DID fill out a paper like that ?

Thanks for your comment. I am surprised your are the only one that commented on the smoking. Like I said I am not even sure if staffs even spoke face to face with the offender.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for the pics. Was this galley tour free? I've always wanted to do one, but never got the chance.

Free! I did forget to mention that part. It was fun and quick.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Kevin,

Yes! Served with lids. But this morning they did not have any lids which was okay because we were just on our way to Blu.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I have to admit that I noticed your camera mount on the mirror in a shot of your cabin at the beginning of your trip report but hesitated to ask what you use it for... :eek::o;)

Kathleen, Kathleen don't be shy you should of asked.;)

CE14KW_%25200404-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin Gets Locked Out

I guess I should mention that tonight is the second and final formal night. For us men not applicable because we didn't take suits. So here is Kevin trying to get fancy again with the photo. I remember seeing a photo like this in a cruise brochure and thought I must try this. Voila my take on Modern Luxury.

CE14HX_%25202291-XL.jpg

I have used this space since 2010 to store my camera pods/mounts on. Usually also throw my baseball caps up there.

CE14HX_%25202293-XL.jpg

A Go Pro picture of me and the Women doing a little reading.

CE14GP_%25200271-XL.jpg

I love the Celebrity leather wallet card holders. They are perfect to hold SeaPass, ID, Credit Card, and also has a spot in the middle to hold cash. Now if you are like me and carry cameras in your pockets the wallet will also protect magnetic strip on your seas pass card. Because as soon as your unprotected Seapass hits the battery from your camera is gets demagged. I know this from experience and had to go to Guest Services to get a new card lots of times.

CE14HX_%25200283-XL.jpg

The Cisco Flip Cam that I took was used primarily fixed to the balcony railing recording Sunrise, Sunsets, Coming and leaving ports. The Flip Cam has only internal memory of approximately 2 hours of HD video. When full to capacity you flip out the USB pin attached to a PC and download your video. Well I don't take a PC or MacBook with me. Last year I did some research and discovered that you could use an iPad along with the iPad Camera Connection Kit to download your Flip Camera Videos. It is best that your Flip Cam is fully charged before you start. This is the only method I am ware that allows you download from a Flip Cam without the use of a PC. So I decide I would take all my equipment including my iPhone (to listen to music) and walk over the Relaxation Room and download rather than doing on the bed in the room. One Problem I forgot to take that wallet with the SeaPass in it. Oops!

So here is the picture of my Flip Cam connected to my 64g iPad. It Probably took a good 20-30 minutes to download.

CE14iK_%25200107-XL.jpg

So when I was ready to leave the Relaxation Room that is when I realized I don't have my Seapass Card. Darn it! Donna and Norma Jean are out on the balcony so no use knocking on the doors. No Problem! I will round up my gear and go down to Guest Services. So I jokingly said to the guest services agent " I bet you never had this one before .. I left my card in the room". Knowing of course that he probably replaces cards for this purpose at least a dozen times a day. No problem replacement card in hand.

But wait that was not Kevin's screw up... the next little story is. I walk over to mid ship elevators and figure, "Hey! I normally don't have the Flip camera outside of the balcony why don't I take a Elevator up Video?" Great! I hop in elevator and record the ride up. Walk out of elevator and reach into my pocket to retrieve my freshly minted SeaPass Card and guess what? It is not there. Really! My two minute old SeaPass card is just gone. So I get the same elevator down and nope not on the floor of the elevator. Off at Deck 3 and nope no SeaPass hanging out there. So I sheepishly go back to Guest Services same person and say "I am pretty sure you never had this one before...". "You are correct sir, not to worry, no problem sir." That my friends is my goof. Laugh! Ridicule! Go ahead I can take it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Formal Night & What Time Is It?

Very calm waters for tonight's sunset.

CE14HX_%25202300-XL.jpg

Even though I wasn't "formally" dressed we still enjoyed getting our pictures taken by the photographers.

CE2014_FN1_TitStairs-XL.jpg

I just figured out why I was having problems getting a photo to display the other day. The link back to the second formal photo that I wanted to share had three consecutive letters in its file name that Cruise Critic doesn't allow. The first letter was W and Second letter was T and you know what the third letter was? Oh! Well

Those of us who are familiar with the "S" class ship all know what and where this picture is? Deck 4 forward entertainment court.

CE14HX_%25202431-XL.jpg

How many of you have thought of doing this to the clock in the entertainment court?

CS13GW_%25200152-XL.jpg

I can't take credit for this idea because Adam had this idea on Solstice back in 2012. I just copied him.

DSC01883-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Second Last Evening in Blu

"Equinox The Show" the cirque style show was playing in Equinox Theatre tonight and we were not going. Why? We both have seen it before along with the similar one on Solstice and Silhouette and Donna doesn't really like it. I have caught her napping during the show. Me I actually like the show and would of went again. I particularly like the show of strength in the many moves. So no show so we were in no rush for dinner with no schedule to meet.

The camera was passed across the Blu table to get the next two shots.

CE14HX_%25202316-XL.jpg

CE14HX_%25202317-XL.jpg

Bring on the food pictures:

CE14HX_%25202319-XL.jpg

French onion soup cooked with a crispy top the way I like it.

CE14HX_%25202320-XL.jpg

Ken's soup. I like clear soups not creamy soups. I would always ask if the soup was clear or creamy and never did get back the clear response.

CE14HX_%25202322-XL.jpg

Kevin's Salad. After 9 day veggies are still crisp.

CE14HX_%25202323-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Very lovely pic. Was the background a backdrop or actual staircase on the ship?

Thank you! No that is the famous Titanic stair case. We had this background used on a picture from 2010. Here is our picture from our 2010 Equinox Cruise. This is the great thing about Aperture if you organize your picture it is so easy find your pictures. See I do wear a suit.

TitanticStairs_032710_01-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Blu Entrees

I will finish off Day 09 with our Blu Entree pictures.

This has to be Kevin's because it is beef.

CE14HX_%25202325-XL.jpg

Donna and Ken had the same thing. I don't know what it is. Some pasta thing. LOL!

CE14HX_%25202327-XL.jpg

Norma Jean was unsure about trying the Lobster. Because lets face it we are from the Maritimes and we have best Lobster in the world. Not that Clawless warm water stuff served on Cruise ships. So Norma Jean asked for both and got both.

CE14HX_%25202329-XL.jpg

Exiting specialty/Ensemble lounge area.

CE14HX_%25202330-XL.jpg

Stayed tuned for final Sea Day,Fort Lauderdale excursion and lastly Equinox Sail-a-way.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Today cont'd & DVD

Mega Clearance

CT_Day10_032314_MegaClr-XL.jpg

Future Cruise front

CE2014_Env_FutCruise-XL.jpg

Future Cruise back

CE2014_Env_FutCruise_back-XL.jpg

Voyage in Review DVD front cover

CE2014_ENV_DVDCover-XL.jpg

Voyage in Review DVD inside

CE2014_ENV_DVDinside-XL.jpg

Voyage in Review DVD back cover

CE2014_ENV_DVDBack-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Good Morning

Oh! The horror that final full day has arrived. After all the prep and planning the coming realization that your vacation is almost over and you will soon be back to reality. Reality check our going back to reality is pretty good and my wish is that all people could say that. I know for us it took us a while to get to that place in our life. Moving back to Prince Edward Edward and finally working at Job were I look forward to getting up to each morning makes our reality pretty good.

Once you try a cruise greater than seven days it is very hard to go back to seven day. Donna says that anything less than seven days is just a tease. This cruise leaves and arrives on the non peak weekend period and you get to enjoy and experience two complete weekends. Last day means another day of doing nothing and keeping busy at it. Looks like another gorgeous sunny Caribbean sea day. So we start the day off with our normal stop at Cafe al Bacio. Our normal path of travel was down the front elevator bank and exit on deck 4 in front of Equinox Theatre. This is were I would snap the picture of what would be showing that night.

CE14GW_%25200897%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

Even if you don't quite get your picture perfectly framed you can use Aperture to crop and straighten it out. Star Chefs was showing a 11:30 Am but we did not attend.

CE14GW_%25200898%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

So another delicious breakfast at Blu and Steak and Eggs was ready for Ken and I again this morning. I loved the fresh fruit plate each morning.

CE14GW_%25200907-XL.jpg

Donna and I have Tuscan Grille booked for lunch so we spent the rest of the morning wandering, shopping and picture taking. Next picture is a little dark of the main lobby elevator's live ficus tree. Amazing how often that question comes up in "ask the captain" Q&A sessions.

CE14GW_%25200916-XL.jpg

Donna got an early start at packing her suitcase while I waited until the afternoon. Picture of our room with the first suitcase in sight on the couch. Ouch that hurts.

CE14GW_%25200923-XL.jpg

This was about the time that I had pretty well made up my mind that I would try to write my first "Cruise" Photo Trip Report. I say cruise because I have done a few Theme Park Trip Reports for my website. So i got thinking and figured I required a picture of all my gear so that is when I took the cameras out on the balcony table and used an iPhone to take the picture. I probably should of kept up with keeping notes. Next year I will do a little better at taking notes. Because from St Kitts forward it is all from memory.

CE14iD_%25200185-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Before we continued our wandering I took a GoPro pic of the bridge wing and wide open horizon. When we first booked this room I knew the bridge wing was close and didn't think of is a negative. I used it quite often as an anchor point for sunrises and sunsets.

CE14GP_%25200278-XL.jpg

Earlier in the cruise i suggested to Donna we should at least wander down to aft deck 10 and walk by our 2010 stateroom number 1291. Well it took us until the last day to wander down that way. I insisted that Donna pose for a selfie with us in front of the number. Glad no one came out or would of had some explaining to do.

CE14GW_%25200930-XL.jpg

Lots of "sales" still going on down on decks 4 and 5 and still a bit of "Blue Box Frenzy" still to be had. Looks like Donna found a suitable blue box and a nice "Celebrity" logo'd hoodie that see likes.

CE14GW_%25200934-XL.jpg

Picture from inside one of the shops.

CE14GW_%25200950-XL.jpg

We also picked out our pictures and DVD before lunch. I don't think too many people pre-ordered the DVD. I saw the list when we picked up ours and it ws not very long. Ken had arranged for the Videographer to come and tape us in Blu the night before. So we are in the DVD. Donna and I were also in the 2010 in the MDR.

Next up a wonderful Tuscan Grille Lunch.

CE14HX_%25202352-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Tuscan Lunch... Yummy

This would be our first time booking a specialty for lunch. Last year during our Silhouette "VIP behind the scenes" tour lunch at the Lawn Grill was included in the price. During the second week of our B2B last year we planned to try a lunch specialty but never got around to it. When we first boarded Murano was available for lunch bookings but Tuscan was not at that time. So I booked Murano just in case and when Tuscan became available I booked it and then cancelled Murano. Maybe we should of kept both? The reminder card below said 11:59 AM so we were there for 11:59 AM.

CE2014_PC_TuscanFLunch-1-XL.jpg

CE2014_PC_TuscanBLunch-XL.jpg

So this would be our second trip to Tuscan this cruise. I think I could eat there everyday. So the menus for lunch was a little lighter than dinner. No quite so many choices. We got seated at an excellent table for two right at the aft window with a view of the wake. During our lunch we got to see a Carnival ship cruise by. Here we are posing with the lunch menu seated at our fantastic table with a view.

CE14HX_%25202354-XL.jpg

As you can tell not to busy yet because the Reids are always on time.

CE14HX_%25202355-XL.jpg

Victor from India was our waiter again in Tuscan. That is Victor in the picture below.

CE14HX_%25202380-XL.jpg

Victor took the next picture for us. How about that wake?

CE14HX_%25202371-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Tuscan Lunch Menu

Left inside

CE14HX_%25202359-XL.jpg

Right inside

CE14HX_%25202361-XL.jpg

Right inside - Top soups/salads

CE14HX_%25202362-XL.jpg

Right Inside - middle mains

CE14HX_%25202363-XL.jpg

Right inside - bottom desserts

CE14HX_%25202364-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Tuscan

Donna started off with the Melanzane Parnigiana. (Yes! I knew how to spell this and didn't write it out first on a piece of paper. If you must ask.)

CE14HX_%25202373-XL.jpg

Kevin had this... Insalata Procsciutt e Mozeralla.

CE14HX_%25202374-XL.jpg

Donna and I both had the T-bone steak cooked perfectly to our liking. Oops! forgot to get a picture.

For dessert we both had the Chocolate Lasagna. Very nice!

CE14HX_%25202382-XL.jpg

I know this will not be our last time having lunch at Tuscan. I was surprised that the Tuscan was not busier for lunch. It was not sold out.

A picture of the wake before we left. If you look real close at the top of the wake slightly to the right is the Carnival ship. I did say look real close.

CE14HX_%25202397-XL.jpg

Donna and I just had to pose one more time in front of our art piece.

CE14HX_%25202401-XL.jpg

After lunch Donna took in some sun on the balcony while I went on my own to do some video taping. Funny how we still call it "taping".

Another picture of the bridge wing.

CE14HX_%25202409-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Last Afternoon to Wander

With Donna parked on the balcony getting sun I went wandering around the ship again. Took another picture of this wall art which is on one of the stairs landing. I still think it is pretty neat.

CE14HX_%25202410-XL.jpg

I always wanted to set up my camera at the base(floor) of the midship elevator bank and leave them for a while in the hope of creating footage for a time lapse. Each camera caught a little different perspective. I let them sit there for about 25 minutes.

CE14iK_%25200116-XL.jpg

So while I was on deck 3 recording the elevators going up and down there was quite a crowd gathering and taking seating position on the main foyer stair case. I guess they were not there to watch me but Paul Baya, CD, giving a mini vocal performance at 3:00 PM. I do recognize that first lady sitting down on the stairs in the picture above see was with us on our St Kitts Zip Line adventure.

So while waiting I took a pano of landing outside of the MDR.

CE14iK_%25200118-XL.jpg

When I finished with Deck 3 I went up to the Library Deck 10 to get a down perspective. I do believe I recorded most of Paul's vocal performance.

CE14iK_%25200121-XL.jpg

So while I was busy on my mission to capture potential time lapse footage and oblivious to my surroundings Ken caught this photo of me at work. Ken Said he tried to catch my attention but, never noticed/heard him. I like this picture that he got of me.

CE14KW_%25200431-XL.jpg

Please correct me if I am mistaken but I do believe that Equinox is only "S" class ship that has this feature in their main elevator lobby. I was first taken by this in 2010. Also a neat feature to record from a moving elevator.

CE14HX_%25202417-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid