2 rapes per ship per month on royal caribbean

Sorry to say I missed actually seeing this report, but I do have one question---If the rapes are unreported, what was their source for the information? Could it have been an off the cuff remark they heard from someone who may or may not have any actual knowledge?

just asking

-Monte

Exactly. All of the information presented in the last day or so is suspicious, to say the least.

I wouldn't believe 100% of what you hear on Fox News. It is always a good idea to research multiple media sources, perhaps including the BBC or another foreign outlet. FWIWTY: Fox News is the equivalent of Current Affair / National Enquirer / ETC; their 'fair and balanced' coverage should be renamed 'sensationalized and right-wing biased.'

I am suprised that so many of you think 2 sexual assaults per month per ship is a lot. I would have thought it would be higher than that.

I remember my first cruise, the TA sitting down my girlfriend and myself (we were 18-19) and warning us about crew members and to NEVER go down to their deck. She said a lot of "sexual assaults" take place there - and you better believe that alcohol is almost always involved. Young women get themselves into situations that they can't get themselves out of. Young people do crazy, crazy things when they are drunk - and cruises are the perfect place to get drunk. Most allow 18 year olds to drink, when it's not even legal in this country to drink. It's just a recipe for disaster - young people as a whole think they are invincible.

I wouldn't believe 100% of what you hear on Fox News. It is always a good idea to research multiple media sources, perhaps including the BBC or another foreign outlet. FWIWTY: Fox News is the equivalent of Current Affair / National Enquirer / ETC; their 'fair and balanced' coverage should be renamed 'sensationalized and right-wing biased.'

Yea, I'm sure you get your unbiased news information from CNN (Clinton News Network). Or of course the fair unbiased reporting on the big three networks. Has Dan Rather retired yet?

Yes...Dan Rather has retired and is taking classes from Bill O'Reilly to learn how to further distort and leave out the facts due to ignorance, mis-read cue cards, talk too fast, engage in inappropriate sensationalism, and pat himself on the back in front of millions of uninformed viewers.

FOX...Finding Old Xeroxes (and engaging in personal vendettas!)

More cruises than most, and too many to list, and who would care?

I personally do not put RCCL at blame for anything; now would I bring my business elsewhere. RCCL does not sexually assault people on board, nor do they kill and throw honeymooners overboard. When you get a large number of people together, you gain a ratio'd sampling of what exists out there in society. Naturally, people will act the same way on these ships as they do on land. No operating company can have an impact on people's natural behavior. RCCL has just been the spotlight of bad media. Excuse me, not RCCL, but some RCCL CUSTOMERS.

my 2 cents. I think I would be cautious but not jump ship. If you have sailed with them twice a year for the last 18 years and have had great experiences I wouldn't change a thing. As for cases of sexual assault. There is a big difference between rape and sexual assault. Sexual assault is almost anything sexual that is not wanted or found offensive to someone. If one grabs anothers butt or breast, rubs a shoulder, arm, or leg wrong all are forms of sexual assault. Rape is rape. People get killed in NY, chicago, LA, and miami multiple times every hour. We should all stop going to these cities since we could be the next one to get the axe. Be cautious, use common sense and have fun.

people being plural or more than one person. meaning many people get killed every hour. Not one person getting killed multiple times because if one uses common sense they know this is physically not possible.:cool:

Yes madam I was foolin around.It was late. The subject was being over played.We are good and we are bad no matter where we are. On land or on the seas.The most I have seen of that rag is the front page waiting to check out at Walmart.

To Karen CPA......Couldn't agree with you more reference the teen drunkness. While on the Grandeur earlier this month I saw many,many drunk kids. The Crown Viking Lounge was packed every night with teens drinking. Kids on the dance floor were basically having sex with their clothes on. I saw many things......including a girl "pole dancing" that was asked by security to leave the dance floor. I'll bet if the drinking age was increased to 21 and enforced.....you'd see a major drop in those sexual assault cases. I did NOT see any crew members "hanging out" with passengers....which I thought was unusual as I usually do see that.

bbrabozo,

I can't believe your so scared because of news reports. So because of terror attacks (09/11 + london) you don't go outside of your home?

Fox news reports:

"There have been a rash of attacks on women at grocery stores across the globe."

So you should stop grocery shopping! lol doesn't make sense. You shouldn't fear everything.

To Karen CPA......Couldn't agree with you more reference the teen drunkness. While on the Grandeur earlier this month I saw many,many drunk kids. The Crown Viking Lounge was packed every night with teens drinking. Kids on the dance floor were basically having sex with their clothes on. I saw many things......including a girl "pole dancing" that was asked by security to leave the dance floor. I'll bet if the drinking age was increased to 21 and enforced.....you'd see a major drop in those sexual assault cases. I did NOT see any crew members "hanging out" with passengers....which I thought was unusual as I usually do see that.

I have seen this behavior as well and was stunned. I personally love to go dancing after dinner but this atmosphere really turns me off. The cruise lines are lax about enforcing any of their own rules; the drinking age is just another example. And if these kids are teens, where in the world are their parents?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, this is already a long thread and I haven't read it all. The person in the interview actually said "there have been up to 2 cases reported per ship per month." and didn't say rape said "sexual assault." That is a little different than saying there are 2 per ship every month. Reporters tend to say things in the most dramatic sense to get your attention.

At an average of 2500 pax with 4.3 weeks in a month, that is at the most, 2 incidents per almost 11,000 pax (not counting the crew). Those numbers are hardly alarming.

I do hope you are kidding.... the inquirer is the biggest garbage bogus paper there is.. would not believe a thing in the inquirer, after all.. they print things like "three headed alien born to US Couple.." and crap like that... if even any of it were true then that would be all over the media.. not just a junk paper...

Just adding my 2 cents. I am sure you were kidding..... :cool:

Your thinking of the Examiner, actually the Enquirer has gotten alot better, I read about the Laci Peterson story even before it was on the news and alot of their information was the same that was on the news weeks later, Although they do have some, um, questionable articles. I personally read it for the entertainment value but once in awhile they are on target.

Fox news is one of the most right leaning news stations in existance.

Edit: Right in the political sense, not factual.

Therefore left leaning is right.... ???? :rolleyes:

whatever dude...:rolleyes:

jc

The person in the interview actually said "there have been up to 2 cases reported per ship per month." and didn't say rape said "sexual assault." That is a little different than saying there are 2 per ship every month. Reporters tend to say things in the most dramatic sense to get your attention.

At an average of 2500 pax with 4.3 weeks in a month, that is at the most, 2 incidents per almost 11,000 pax (not counting the crew). Those numbers are hardly alarming.

Thanks for the post. I hope people reading this will realize that "up to 2 cases reported per ship per month." also could mean, 0,1 or 2 reported per ship. It doesn't mean there are 2 reported per ship per month.

BTW-I was on a ship a few years ago that went into a severe list and about 15 people had to be removed by ambulance at our next port (Victoria BC). The next day (when we got home) I saw a news interview with a 12 yr old boy from the cruise. I wouldn't say he lied, but he severely exaggerated, as children can sometimes do, what happened. Someone (not on the cruise) might take his version as the truth (he said that their cabin was underwater-and they were on deck 5-it just didn't happen). "Sometimes" the press (right wing or left wing) likes to exaggerate the events.

-Monte

So sorry if this has been brought up before. There's a lot of judgments bumping back and forth here. Please no more attacks. I'm pretty middle of the croud here, but I think what the original poster brought up was not the the cruise line had more crime then the others, but that they co-operated with the law less then others. Anyway, I had to put in my 2 cents.

As far as the media is concerned, each and every news source has its agenda.

That agenda is ratings.

Some are just better at it than others.

That does not make thier reporting any more or less biased or more or less correct/factual that the lower rated news sources.

Controversial hosts and subjects/agendas always mean higher ratings.

That is the law of the land today in the media.

As far as crime on cruises, of course there is going to be crime. Just cause someone can afford to cruise does not mean that they will not commit a crime.

And as far as the lewd behavior/dress by some people on cruises, if you look the part you just might get more than you bargained for. And no, no one "deserves" to be assaulted or raped, etc. But the more alcohol that is drunk the more inhibitions go away, and animalistic desires/ideas come to the front.

Does it really hurt a good time to dress and act with just a little more decorum?

As far as the media is concerned, each and every news source has its agenda.

That agenda is ratings.

Some are just better at it than others.

That does not make thier reporting any more or less biased or more or less correct/factual that the lower rated news sources.

Controversial hosts and subjects/agendas always mean higher ratings.

That is the law of the land today in the media.

As far as crime on cruises, of course there is going to be crime. Just cause someone can afford to cruise does not mean that they will not commit a crime.

And as far as the lewd behavior/dress by some people on cruises, if you look the part you just might get more than you bargained for. And no, no one "deserves" to be assaulted or raped, etc. But the more alcohol that is drunk the more inhibitions go away, and animalistic desires/ideas come to the front.

Does it really hurt a good time to dress and act with just a little more decorum?

Couldn't agree more

Archived